Opinions on the game where you know you are in the minority

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Dominik Hasek is the 5th best player of all time and a case can be made he makes it a Big 5.

His 8 year run of:

6x Vezina
2x Hart
2x Lindsay
Hart voting of 1-1-2-3-3
6x AS-1
6x led league in sv%

is Bobby Orr level of great. He did things no other goaltender had done before or since. Just as we as hockey fans were robbed by Orr's injuries, we were also robbed by Hasek being stuck behind the curtain.

Agree. Except there is no big 4 ofc there is the Great One and the 3 trailing far behind.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think the league should increase the size of the goals by a few inches to compensate for the increase in the size of goalies and especially their equipment. Only major sport I can think lf where the scoring area has shrunk by such a large percentage.

The NHL is never going to go back to less safe equipment, even if it would make the game quite a bit more entertaining

I agree with this. I don't know if this is even a minority opinion, is it?

My minority opinion - I would be willing to suffer through a whole season of pure powerplay hockey if I had to, in order to weed out the interference from the game. I hate more than anything when a forward dumps it in and tries to chase it, and has to dodge the defenseman trying to hold him up. Call that every single time.

Making the net 2 inches wider and 1 inch taller would make up for some of the goalie equipment size explosion that has occurred.

Agree with both points and would add the floating blueline like they use in ball hockey, would create more offensive space on the ice without changing the dimensions of the rink.

Also why allow a PK team to ice the puck?

Lastly make playoff seeding 1-16, 2-15 ect so that Western conference teams wouldn't be so spent from travel compared to the East coast teams.

It would also make it possible for the 2 best teams to be in the SC finals if they are in the same conference, something that is impossible right now.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Martin Brodeur is the most overrated goalie of all time...

I'm biased as a Devils fan, but IMO Brodeur is underrated by many serious hockey fans because of how he played the game. He wasn't the best of all-time at stopping the puck, but his other skills, namely puck-handling, made him a great player. Fans notice when a goalie makes a great save, but they don't notice as much when a goalie prevents the other team from setting up in the zone or makes excellent passes to his teammates to set up a counter-rush. Brodeur was also the primary cause of a significant rule change (the creation of the trapezoid), something that cannot be said of many goalies or hockey players (or for that matter players in other sports).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Zetterberg was better than Datsyuk, at least in terms of contributing to winning.

The NHL draft order should be completely random and decided at some point in the regular season. Even having weighted chances where at least every team has a chance at any given spot (as in 2005) would be far better.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Agree that Orr is the great one but ahead of two other players with a third just behind them. Possibly Hasek is close to that group of players.

Orr might have the best peak, arguable at least, but in no way does he have the greatest career, hence he is not close to the greatest.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I don’t think the NHL should ever go back to tie games

The fact that we went 40 years without even overtime in the regular season (60 minutes and that’s it) is astonishing

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
  1. Bring the two-line pass back
  2. 3v3 OT for 10 mins, no SO
  3. Officiating discrepancy between regular season and playoffs.
  4. Not much emotion in regular season games
  5. Too many icings, stoppages, and instant replays

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
--No loser point. Straight W or L for regulation, OT, or shootout. Imagine the shootout with everything on the line.
--Home team wears white.
--The quality of hockey right now is the best it has ever been.
--Jaromir Jagr is the 5th best player of all-time.
--1981 Canadian Canada Cup team is the best team ever assembled.
--Bring back touch icing.
--Being 5'10 or shorter means you cannot be an elite NHL goaltender.
--Tom Wilson is by far the dirtiest player of the century.
--The great dynasty's of the six team era (top four make playoffs, two rounds) can't really be measured against post-expansion (Habs, Isles, Oilers) ones.
--Tom Barrasso is the best eligible player not in the Hall.
--The Guns and Roses "big three" of Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child Of Mine, and Paradise City should forevermore be banned from NHL arenas.
--No matter how many times the Leafs score (I'm not a Leaf fan) I still won't get sick of hearing You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall and Oates.

My Best-Carey

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Durability is a virtue in all professional sports whereas hockey fans succumb to JFK syndrome and the imaginations run wild to the point where getting seriously injured and missing a ton of games is considered a neutral event or possibly even increases a player's legacy beyond what it would have been had the player been durable and played those games.

decma

Feb 6, 2013
1981 Canadian Canada Cup team is the best team ever assembled.

Frisco,
Normally we're on the same page, and I agree with many of your points above, but Canada's roster in 81 Canada Cup as best team ever? Maybe on the top end, especially before the Perrault injury. But with Duguay, Gillies, Goring, Engblom, and a young Reinhart? Even Linseman and Gare weren't that good for the era.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wish players didn't wear helmets.Actually I wish their entire equipment looked more like in the 70s.

That would make the game better.

Reactions: SealsFan

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Frisco,
Normally we're on the same page, and I agree with many of your points above, but Canada's roster in 81 Canada Cup as best team ever? Maybe on the top end, especially before the Perrault injury. But with Duguay, Gillies, Goring, Engblom, and a young Reinhart? Even Linseman and Gare weren't that good for the era.
It's a debate. When you have Bossy, LaFleur, Perreault, Gretzky, Trottier, Potvin, Robinson, Dionne, Bourque leading the way it's hard to go against that top end. And Sittler, Barber, Shutt, Gartner were all basically cuts so that speaks to the depth. I think you could easily argue 76/84/87 also but I'll cast my lot with the 81 squad. Not by much, though.

My Best-Carey

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Some of these "unpopular opinions" make me wonder what planet I live on. Who do you all talk to that love the loser point?

Here's one that I might be in more of a silent majority, if not the minority: The game has not "passed by" that 35-year-old defenseman who skates like he's wearing rubber boots and primarily contributes holding penalties. He is just old, has been injured more times than you even know, and you would love his 25-year-old doppelganger.

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Durability is a virtue in all professional sports whereas hockey fans succumb to JFK syndrome and the imaginations run wild to the point where getting seriously injured and missing a ton of games is considered a neutral event or possibly even increases a player's legacy beyond what it would have been had the player been durable and played those games.
Good point. I was found it weird that if someone doesn't like a player who lacked durability it was the player couldn't stay healthy but if the player was more popular it is all about the peak and "what could've been" (Neely, Kariya, Bure, Lindros). Same the other way. A durable player is a "compiler" if someone wants to tear him down but has a long distinguished, consistent career if he's well liked.

My Best-Carey

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I don't know if I'm in the minority on this, and I've seen it posted, but part of me wants the red line back (2 line passes). Make these guys really exemplify their passing skills even though there is a red line....it forces the offensive players to have to be more creative/sneaky perhaps?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm actively hoping that there's another lockout

that stuff is fascinating to read about and there's too many games in a season anyways so missing half a year every once in a while is honestly a welcome change of pace

Reactions: PurpleMouse

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Orr's issue wasnt durability, it was medical science.

His knee issue gets fixed with a simple arthroscopic procedure and he's back to full health in 6 months today. It's just that the medical knowledge and technology didnt exist in 1965, so he was never able to be healthy.

Orr's career was ended at only age 26 because he was born a couple decades too early. Not because he was physically fragile.

Thousands of professional athletes have had similar knee injuries and haven't had their careers ended because of the modern surgeries to fix it.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

His knee issue gets fixed with a simple arthroscopic procedure and he's back to full health in 6 months today. It's just that the medical knowledge and technology didnt exist in 1965, so he was never able to be healthy.

Orr's career was ended at only age 26 because he was born a couple decades too early. Not because he was physically fragile.

Thousands of professional athletes have had similar knee injuries and haven't had their careers ended because of the modern surgeries to fix it.

Im just guessign but I dont think hes talking about Orr per se. Just that certain players gets seasons pro rated as great even though they missed half of it. Though I dont know any legends that this happens too. Apart from Orr most legendary players had full careers. The only ones I can think of is Orr, Lemieux and Lindros.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Im just guessign but I dont think hes talking about Orr per se. Just that certain players gets seasons pro rated as great even though they missed half of it. Though I dont know any legends that this happens too. Apart from Orr most legendary players had full careers. The only ones I can think of is Orr, Lemieux and Lindros.

ah, well that I'll agree with then. Thought he meant Orr because it followed a string of Orr > Gretzky posts

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Bobby Orr was not durable. That is a plain fact and you are in complete denial. Even in his healthy seasons he missed a fair amount of games.

Your post is pure speculation. There is no way to know how severe his surgery would have been, if his surgery would have been successful, if he ever would have ever been the same, or if he would have been at increased risk for another injury.

If Orr had come back and not been the same player - as is the case after many arthroscopic surgeries - I'd wager that it would hurt his legacy more than retirement or missing games did (as your post illustrates perfectly). The same goes for Lemieux, Forsberg, etc. Because again, imaginations are featured far too prominently in all-time player rankings.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
ah, well that I'll agree with then. Thought he meant Orr because it followed a string of Orr > Gretzky posts

Orr is definitely in that category, along with Lemieux, Forsberg, and to a lesser extent Crosby and Malkin.

Especially Lemieux - people claim he was better than Gretzky, as if Gretzky didn't have more assists than Lemieux had points, and they compare career PPG as if Gretzky didn't play 700+ games after turning 30 vs Lemieux's ~ 300.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad