Opinions on Alienware

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Been interested in purchasing a gaming desktop and have been browsing around the Alienware website.

I'm not looking for anything too expensive but do want to have a pretty good PC that can run any game with higher end performance. I was looking at the Aurora because 2 of their models are at the top of my price range. Unfortunately I don't know specifically what to look for in terms of parts and performance as I'm not PC savvy.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these PCs good or bad and if they had any advice in terms of what to look for in price or performance. The general narrative I've gotten from this brand is that they are good PCs but they are expensive compared to other options.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I agree they're good, but expensive compared to other options. Most of the towers I've seen are harder to upgrade than some other brands too. Unless you're married to the idea of having an Alienware, there's no advantage to having that over another brand.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I agree they're good, but expensive compared to other options. Most of the towers I've seen are harder to upgrade than some other brands too. Unless you're married to the idea of having an Alienware, there's no advantage to having that over another brand.

Definitely not married to the idea of having one. It does seem like its the easiest option, especially for people like me who don't have the time or wherewithal to build their own PC or really know exactly what to look for in terms of parts and specs.

Definitely want to make an informed decision and not just pick something based on brand recognition or just pick the most expensive one I can afford and assume it's the best out there. Do you have any recommendations outside of Alienware?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
overpriced trash. looking at their site, they seem to charge roughly double what it would cost me to build any of their systems

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Do you have any recommendations outside of Alienware?

Self build. Hell you could find someone experienced and give them 100 bucks to do it and you would still save massively.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
overpriced trash. looking at their site, they seem to charge roughly double what it would cost me to build any of their systems

That's generally what I've heard. Price aside though, still a good gaming rig?

The issue I have with building like I said, is that I don't really know everything to look for in terms of parts or specs, though I suppose I could try to get someone to build it like you said.

Sep 19, 2008
As others said you could build your own PC that runs just as good as an Alienware at a lower price. Check out the PC Building thread in this forum. You don't need any experience. Just purchase the parts, plug them in, and go.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF

The issue I have with building like I said, is that I don't really know everything to look for in terms of parts or specs, though I suppose I could try to get someone to build it like you said.

depends really. some of their spec choices are weird.

try checking the first page of the PC building thread for examples, or post your budget in there and will be plenty of people who can provide parts lists for you

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
You don't need any experience. Just purchase the parts, plug them in, and go.

Indeed. when I first built my PC I was nervous as hell, but walking through it with a good youtube guide, it just becomes advanced lego

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Just go for like an HP Omen or an Asus ROG. I used to build / upgrade my PC all the time. Kind of got bored / sick of dealing with it so now I just buy a new one every few years or so. You can find great gaming PC's for a good price without having to build.

rbochan

Just go for like an HP Omen or an Asus ROG. I used to build / upgrade my PC all the time. Kind of got bored / sick of dealing with it so now I just buy a new one every few years or so. You can find great gaming PC's for a good price without having to build.

Exactly.
Newegg has dozens available at various budget levels. The Cyberpower and Cybertron systems have comparable parts to Alienware, and are about half the price and easier to upgrade.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not only do I build my own PCs, but I build my own components too.

All you guys suck.

Sure, the video card was a bit tricky but nothing that a good soldering iron and duct tape couldn't solve.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Exactly.
Newegg has dozens available at various budget levels. The Cyberpower and Cybertron systems have comparable parts to Alienware, and are about half the price and easier to upgrade.

I have heard those are pretty good machines too. My friend just got an Omen laptop and its pretty awesome I have to say. Very sleek looking and plays all new games at max. Their desktops are cool looking too. Like giant cubes tilted on their edge lol. Looks like they are easy to work on but I have no idea.

All you guys suck.

Sure, the video card was a bit tricky but nothing that a good soldering iron and duct tape couldn't solve.
Do you forge your own metals for the components too? :sarcasm:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

All you guys suck.

Noob, I build my own tools too.

Definitely not married to the idea of having one. It does seem like its the easiest option, especially for people like me who don't have the time or wherewithal to build their own PC or really know exactly what to look for in terms of parts and specs.

Anyhow, for a more serious post - if you're open to the idea of building your own, go to the stickied PC Guide and Discussion thread, and the people in that thread will be happy to help you pick each part, and make sure they're compatible and suit your needs, and help you find the right tutorials and videos for putting it together. It's not nearly as difficult as it seems.

On the other hand, if you really don't want to build your own, I still suggest going to that thread, giving your budget, and what you want to do with the computer, and they'll happily help you track down a prebuilt.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Anyhow, for a more serious post - if you're open to the idea of building your own, go to the stickied PC Guide and Discussion thread, and the people in that thread will be happy to help you pick each part, and make sure they're compatible and suit your needs, and help you find the right tutorials and videos for putting it together. It's not nearly as difficult as it seems.

On the other hand, if you really don't want to build your own, I still suggest going to that thread, giving your budget, and what you want to do with the computer, and they'll happily help you track down a prebuilt.

Thanks for the post!

I'm definitely more open to building a PC now I suppose, but still probably looking at something pre built. Will probably shop around and look at other comparable gaming PC brands, but will definitely weigh my options for building one one and will definitely stop by the PC Guide thread. Thanks to everyone for their input!

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Very overpriced.

Their laptops are decent if you can get them on sale.

For PCs you're way better off buying your own parts and building.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the post!

I'm definitely more open to building a PC now I suppose, but still probably looking at something pre built. Will probably shop around and look at other comparable gaming PC brands, but will definitely weigh my options for building one one and will definitely stop by the PC Guide thread. Thanks to everyone for their input!

I built my own a ways back and it was surprisingly easy to do.

That being said, if money is no option, and you don't want to bother with a project, nothing wrong with buying something premade.

They usually do a good job with tying cables back and stuff whereas mine is a bit of a dog's breakfast in there.

Funny story - mine wouldn't boot up until I realized that the lever to properly seat the processor in the motherboard wasn't pulled. There was nothing about it in the guide I was using. ;)

I was a little annoyed for an hour or so.

Blueton said:
Do you forge your own metals for the components too?

Heh, the forging is the easy part.

It's the mining for ores and rare earth metals that is the really tricky aspect.

Kestrel said:
Noob, I build my own tools too.

Who needs tools when you have a self-made biomechnical hand with multi-use utility fingertips?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Been interested in purchasing a gaming desktop and have been browsing around the Alienware website.

I'm not looking for anything too expensive but do want to have a pretty good PC that can run any game with higher end performance. I was looking at the Aurora because 2 of their models are at the top of my price range. Unfortunately I don't know specifically what to look for in terms of parts and performance as I'm not PC savvy.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these PCs good or bad and if they had any advice in terms of what to look for in price or performance. The general narrative I've gotten from this brand is that they are good PCs but they are expensive compared to other options.

Does not compute. Cyberpower is a better option if you want to go the premade route. You'll end up spending less for more.

Building what you want with help from others is the best option IMO.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Definitely want to make an informed decision and not just pick something based on brand recognition or just pick the most expensive one I can afford and assume it's the best out there. Do you have any recommendations outside of Alienware?

Brands like CyberPowerPC, iBuyPower, CybertronPC are all fine brands, and have bigger cases typically that are easier to upgrade if you need to down the road. Unfortunately MSI and Asus have the same issue as Alienware does with being slightly overpriced and harder to upgrade, while still being good systems. Places like Newegg, Amazon or Best Buy are good beta for finding something, and you can narrow the search by the specs you're looking for. There are likely tons of different sales too depending on where you go. I would just go to all those websites, find a couple at each with the specs you're looking for, and then order whichever is the best price. Brand doesn't matter too much anymore unless you're dealing with customer service. They all use the same parts inside.

Ignore everyone telling you to build your own. Yes it could be cheaper, but it's a relatively small difference usually (assuming you find a good sale on a pre built), and there's no sense in paying someone to build it, because then you're still paying the same price.

The hardest part of buying a new gaming PC is listening to the kids who just say to build your own cause it's easy and cheaper. They just don't stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad