Opinions on Alienware

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
The hardest part of buying a new gaming PC is listening to the kids who just say to build your own cause it's easy and cheaper. They just don't stop.

yeah paying nearly half for a PC really sucks :popcorn:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Ignore everyone telling you to build your own. Yes it could be cheaper, but it's a relatively small difference usually (assuming you find a good sale on a pre built), and there's no sense in paying someone to build it, because then you're still paying the same price.

The hardest part of buying a new gaming PC is listening to the kids who just say to build your own cause it's easy and cheaper. They just don't stop.

There's a lot more to it than that. All else being equal, yes, you usually do save a significant amount. If you look at an equally priced prebuilt and self built, the prebuilt is usually going to have some sacrifices. It's not uncommon for the prebuilt to have a processor that's a generation or two old, and they are going to often use lower quality/performance parts.

A prebuilt is often going to emphasize the GHz and GB numbers, whereas if you know what you're doing and dig deeper, those numbers often are misleading.

A prebuilt very often is also going to use a crud PSU which may get the job done, but the moment you start upgrading, is going to really struggle if not go up in smoke.

A prebuilt is often going to have limited upgradeability, sometimes with proprietary cases, often with proprietary motherboards.

Sep 19, 2008
Look, the thing is if you want to be lazy get a pre-built. And there's less work involved too. You just plug it in and play.

But honestly from someone who had no experience other than plugging RAM in, building your own computer really helps, and again Advocate Terry Crews said it helped him bond with his son so there's that. There is just something about building something from scratch into a working machine. Yes, it's going to take time and effort. Yes, if you don't know what you're doing you'll mess up (first time I built a computer it wouldn't turn on and I was pissed before I realized the RAM wasn't fully plugged in) but it's well worth it.

It's not for everyone, and if you don't have the troubleshooting or tech knowledge, by all means get a pre-built. But get ones recommended by other people on HF. And that would not likely be an Alienware.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
It's a Dell with LEDs.

If you want a gaming desktop, build it.

If you want a gaming laptop, don't.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

If you build it, it's substantially cheaper, or substantially higher quality. Guaranteed. Basic principles of economics demand it to be so.

Unless you have severe mental problems, anyone can build a PC in an hour or two.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you build it, it's substantially cheaper, or substantially higher quality. Guaranteed. Basic principles of economics demand it to be so.

Unless you have severe mental problems, anyone can build a PC in an hour or two.

@OP, case in point. People who build their own PCs can be some of the most elitist dicks out there.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
It didn't take me an hour or so, more like 3 or 4. I had never tried it before but I'm really happy with the results

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It didn't take me an hour or so, more like 3 or 4. I had never tried it before but I'm really happy with the results
Yeah i have found a lot of deception online about building pcs and I cant figure out why. Like its clearly not as easy as people say, what do people get out of misleading in that way?

Theres clear benefits to building your own pc and learning how to upgrade and replace parts. You do save lots of money over the longterm (and short term) for the simple fact that you can incrementally upgrade and sell off old parts, but dont make it seem like theres no learning curve whatsoever, what do you gain from that?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thanks for the post!

I'm definitely more open to building a PC now I suppose, but still probably looking at something pre built. Will probably shop around and look at other comparable gaming PC brands, but will definitely weigh my options for building one one and will definitely stop by the PC Guide thread. Thanks to everyone for their input!

I'd say you don't necessarily need to build it all yourself right away, just start with looking at the individual components with help (like the stickied thread here) and then pay the $50 or so to have the store put it together.

This isn't just about getting the cheapest option, it's about learning how everything fits together so if someone breaks or if you need to upgrade a component you build up an understanding of what's going on. You don't necessarily need to learn it all in the first go, but its good to start somewhere so you aren't just always buying whole new systems and/or being at the mercy of the repair shop.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
To clarify how much more you're paying for Alienware, here is a decently powered Alienware Desktop, and here is a similar build with all the same features (SSD+HDD combo, DVD burner etc) in canadian dollars

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...=alienware_desktop-_-1VK-001G-000C4-_-Product

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zJLHm8

$2,576.99 vs $1853.96 in case the link wasnt working. Clearly a massive markup.

edit: apparently theres an issue with that case

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RpC9D8

should be the same price

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
If I was younger, I would have told you it's crazy that you're thinking of purchasing a pre-built gaming PC. But now that I'm older, I'm aware of the inconveniences involved if you're building your own rig from scratch (I would just advise you get get a gaming laptop tbh).

Anyways, if you're thinking a pre-built desktop, I would probably steer away from Alienware, they're too expensive. There are cheaper options out there on Newegg that I would consider.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I will pipe in here. I own both an Alienware r15 2nd gen laptop (was super expensive I maxed it out but it still runs everything near maxed 3 years later), and I also have an Area-51 desktop (it was a warranty replacement for an old XPS-710). It is 6+ years old now (i7-930 cpu that I did overclock a bit) and it still runs everything I can throw at it nearly maxed. Granted I did upgrade the video card twice and added more RAM and storage over time. My next computer will likely be another Alienware desktop because I can afford it, I can not be bothered to build my own or learn to build my own and I like the idea of a long warranty and support. Alienware support is much better than typical Dell support.

I understand the thought of building one or going to one of the 'cheaper retailers', but I have been happy for the most part with every Dell/Alienware product I have bought. Although the laptop is fairly heavy I have a mac air for if I am travelling or carrying a computer around.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah i have found a lot of deception online about building pcs and I cant figure out why. Like its clearly not as easy as people say, what do people get out of misleading in that way?

Theres clear benefits to building your own pc and learning how to upgrade and replace parts. You do save lots of money over the longterm (and short term) for the simple fact that you can incrementally upgrade and sell off old parts, but dont make it seem like theres no learning curve whatsoever, what do you gain from that?

I don't think it's at all hard - it's basically grown up legos - ONCE you know what you're doing - but like you say, there is a learning curve there. As long as someone has a source of good advice, and possibly some youtube videos, it's very doable, but it definitely can take some time to do too.

A lot of it is going to depend on the case and parts you have too. Some cases make it much simpler... other cases are a royal pain in the ass to work with, even if you are experienced.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I wouldn't recommend building your own PC unless you've done a little research and know computer hardware basics at least. Even after that you will likely encounter detection/driver/misc issues, which can be quite frustrating for beginners to deal with. But the plus side is that you will always retain that knowledge of hardware and troubleshooting when you need to upgrade or help someone else.

But anyway, no to Alienware. They're basically the Apple of PCs -- you're paying more for the brand name, in other words.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I wouldn't recommend building your own PC unless you've done a little research and know computer hardware basics at least. Even after that you will likely encounter detection/driver/misc issues, which can be quite frustrating for beginners to deal with. But the plus side is that you will always retain that knowledge of hardware and troubleshooting when you need to upgrade or help someone else.

But anyway, no to Alienware. They're basically the Apple of PCs -- you're paying more for the brand name, in other words.

Windows 10 is actually pretty good for that - I don't remember the last time I ran into detection/driver issues.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
overpriced trash. looking at their site, they seem to charge roughly double what it would cost me to build any of their systems

Well, I mean you're paying for them to assemble it too. Not everyone can build their own system.

I don't think it's at all hard - it's basically grown up legos - ONCE you know what you're doing - but like you say, there is a learning curve there. As long as someone has a source of good advice, and possibly some youtube videos, it's very doable, but it definitely can take some time to do too.

A lot of it is going to depend on the case and parts you have too. Some cases make it much simpler... other cases are a royal pain in the ass to work with, even if you are experienced.

This can be said for virtually everything in life. Its not practical to know everything, therefor we choose our interests and pay someone else to do the rest. If youve got the money, go for it.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
yes they can.
You really overestimate people if you believe everyone can build a pc. Lots of people have trouble doing basic things on their computers expecting them to be able to troubleshoot a problem that they will run into is too much. For most people it doesn't even make sense for them to build their own pc.

Well, I mean you're paying for them to assemble it too. Not everyone can build their own system.
I don't think enough people know that you can have a store like Microcenter or Canada Computers build your custom pc for you. http://www.microcenter.com/site/content/instore-service-complete-build.aspx

http://www.canadacomputers.com/services.php?page=services-desktops

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
no such thing

Yes, there is it is just beyond the 'reasonable' price for most. Sure mine cost $5000+ but 2/3 years later it still runs near everything maxed. People need to stop putting labels on everything, thinking they are so smart by saying 'you cannot buy a gaming laptop' or 'you are an idiot for buying pre-built/build your own'. People like me can afford to have someone to do it for them and are willing to pay for the convenience. The OP was asking about Alienware/pre-builts and in my opinion, I would go with a big company like Dell/Alienware rather than the 'i company' pre-builds. I do not think people realize how nice it is to have a 4 or 5-year parts and service warranty just for starters. That has saved me, if I had to guess, close to 10k over the years.

It just makes me angry when people come in and say 'build your own' willy nilly. I get it, it is not hard, I and many others do not want the hassle of learning to build it, shopping around and no support when 'this does not plug into that' or 'why does it not boot' etc... The biggest issue for someone like me is the hassle of ordering parts from many different vendors to try to scrounge for 'the best deal' and making sure they would all fit together. For the minimal savings, it just seems like a waste of time and effort to me. That is not to say some people do not enjoy it, but personally, I have different hobbies that many would say are a waste of time and effort so I stick to them. I will say though when my son is old enough I will teach him to build his first computer so he has the knowledge (he is not even 6) that I never had.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
You really overestimate people if you believe everyone can build a pc.

then you are very much underestimating people. PC construction is just electronic lego. my 12 year old brother has a malformed arm and has built 2 PCs already

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
The OP was asking about Alienware/pre-builts and in my opinion, I would go with a big company like Dell/Alienware rather than the 'i company' pre-builds..

the point is, alienware will build a seriously midrange PC and slap a premium price tag on it and convince people they are getting high end performance

I know someone who bought an alienware for around 1500 dollars and he couldnt wait to run every game at max settings, when the PC itself was barebones as hell and had a weak ass graphics card.

if you REALLY want to pay for the convinience of a prebuilt, thats fine, just dont get brutally ripped off and mis-sold a product

im not sure what the US equivalent would be but SCAN UK let you build and choose all your own parts and only charge something like £100 extra for the build and free professional overclocking.

Last edited:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
the point is, alienware will build a seriously midrange PC and slap a premium price tag on it and convince people they are getting high end performance

I know someone who bought an alienware for around 1500 dollars and he couldnt wait to run every game at max settings, when the PC itself was barebones as hell and had a weak ass graphics card.

if you REALLY want to pay for the convinience of a prebuilt, thats fine, just dont get brutally ripped off and mis-sold a product

im not sure what the US equivalent would be but SCAN UK let you build and choose all your own parts and only charge something like £100 extra for the build and free professional overclocking.

Yeah, I get that. The mid-range Alienware pre-builts I would not buy. The high range ones are different (although considered over priced by most), but are well built and do everything needed. I suppose what I am saying is for myself, and others that want the convenience, support and can afford it Alienware is a fine option. Mind you, once you have decided to go premium pre-build there are other options out there now that were not there when I bought my first pre-built from Dell in the late 90's? OrginPC comes to mind (the people who started Alienware before they were bought) and others. I guess like anything, decide what you want and shop around.

And, I think NCIX here in Canada does the same $100 fee to build it as well as other companies. Not a bad option either. And there are so many options, it just takes judgement on the buyers part as to price range, convenience, support (huge for me) and other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad