Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
im excited going into this year because we more or less can predict the line up. guys know their roles, what their expectations are, and have built some chemistry already.

if you want a laugh, look at our line up to start last year

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zib-Chiasson
Hoffman-Lazar-Niel
Smith-Legwand-Stone

Cowen-Karlsson
Phillips-Ceci
Boro-Gryba

Young team... things can change fast

id be shocked to see any big changes in Ottawa's line up unless a trade is made. i'd be pleasantly surprised though

I was referring to the placement of players in the lineup. Stone came on from starting at 4th line to being arguably the top RW , at least in the top 2. Chiasson moved down. Lazar to the wing. Pageau moved up... Hoffman likely moves up. Michalek likely moves down, Legwand, Condra gone, room for another player (Prince?).... those changes. As the young players improve the dynamic changes.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
nice. this is how i see it as well.
Im really hoping Prince outplays Michalek. His speed and skill could compliment Pageau and Lazar well

I would be worried about that line getting bullied around. 3 young players, and not a lot of size or experience.

Michalek-Pageau-Lazar

I think Michalek and Pageau could work well together. Add in Lazar who I think can double his point total from last year, and that could be a very solid 3rd line, all of them good for 30-40pts if healthy.

Prince-Smith-Chaisson

The highly skilled Prince could make use of the two big bodies in Smith and Chaisson to open up some space for his speed and hands to come into play. All 3 play with an edge, or have some feisty qualities to their game. Smith is the only real wildcard for me.

I know that Smith has been whining for years about getting some better linemates. So lets give him some. This is his year for me to put up or ship out.

He does bring an element that we are somewhat lacking in the lineup right now, and was one of the more vocal supporters of the teams decision to let Maclean go (maybe his play was being greatly affected) ,so I'm willing to give him 1 more year.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Maybe not opening lineup... But I kind of think this is what we ice come December 1st:

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanejad Stone
Puempel Pageau Michalek
Prince Smith Lazar

Those are 4 lines with lots of speed, grit, talent, physicality, offensive talent and defensive committment. On each line. Very solid. Lots of talent.

Capable subs with Neil and Chiasson.

Defence is trickier because it is more up in the air and could be bad or good.

I bet on this:
Methot Karlsson
Wiercioch Ceci
Cowen/Boro Boro/Wideman

Bottom pair sees all 3 play. If one plays really well he steals full time spot. Borowiecki plays both LD and RD depending on if Wideman plays or not. They flex in and out depending on matchups.

It is impossible to tell how good Wideman is going to be. He could be amazing. He could be AHLer?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Maybe not opening lineup... But I kind of think this is what we ice come December 1st:

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanejad Stone
Puempel Pageau Michalek
Prince Smith Lazar

Those are 4 lines with lots of speed, grit, talent, physicality, offensive talent and defensive committment. On each line. Very solid. Lots of talent.

Capable subs with Neil and Chiasson.

Defence is trickier because it is more up in the air and could be bad or good.

I bet on this:
Methot Karlsson
Wiercioch Ceci
Cowen/Boro Boro/Wideman

Bottom pair sees all 3 play. If one plays really well he steals full time spot. Borowiecki plays both LD and RD depending on if Wideman plays or not. They flex in and out depending on matchups.

It is impossible to tell how good Wideman is going to be. He could be amazing. He could be AHLer?

Why is everyone breaking up X-Turris-Stone?

Not to mention Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan seems to also have a lot of chemistry.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Hoffman, Zibb and Ryan might have to be broken up because how poorly that line played in the last 20-30 games. Just not good enough production.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
My guess is that Lazar will start in the A, just to give Puempel and Prince a chance to crack the roster.

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Chiasson
Puempel-Smith-Prince

Othello*

Hoffman,Zibanejad and Ryan are all shoot first players that'll probably excel with a playmaker on their line. Ryan turned into a playmaker on that line which most likely put down his goal production alongside his bad play.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Hoffman,Zibanejad and Ryan are all shoot first players that'll probably excel with a playmaker on their line. Ryan turned into a playmaker on that line which most likely put down his goal production alongside his bad play.

My thoughts basically. We could go full stacking and do Ryan Turris Stone too? Would be interesting and deadly if it gelled.

No option is too bad. Like the 13/14/15 forwards we have a lot. In most anyway they are mixed. The question marks on on defence.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With Chiasson signed that is 21 roster players signed to play in Ottawa next season & Hoffman will make 22 players. IMO that leaves only one roster spot for a new player & most likely it will be Wideman who would have to go through waivers otherwise. I'm still not sure whether Prince needs to go through waivers or not Senshot said he did not & I know Puempel does not. Based on this I don't see any other prospect making the team unless Greening is waived and/or Lazar starts the yr in Bingo or Phillips is on the IR or there is a trade that opens up a spot or two.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Michalek - Pageau - Lazar
Chiasson - Smith - Neil/Greening

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Boroweicki/Phillips/Wideman

Anderson - Hammond

After the Trade deadline:
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Puempel - Turris - Ryan
MacArthur - Schenn - Lazar
Michalek - Paul - Robinson/Greening

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Phillips

Anderson - O'Connor

Othello*

Count me in on having Prince play with Pageau and Lazar instead of Michalek.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
My guess is that Lazar will start in the A, just to give Puempel and Prince a chance to crack the roster.

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Chiasson
Puempel-Smith-Prince
That's how I see it too. I'll have the following lines though:

Mac - Turris - Stone
Hoff - Ziba - Ryan
Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Puempel - Smith - Chiasson

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Yup pretty much this.

I think Zibby and Hoffman could both hit 25+ goals and 50+ points with Stone on the wing.

And on the flip side it would be nice to see Ryan revert back into a shooter.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yup pretty much this.

I think Zibby and Hoffman could both hit 25+ goals and 50+ points with Stone on the wing.

And on the flip side it would be nice to see Ryan revert back into a shooter.

:nod:

Exactly. Each line needs both a premier playmaker (Turris, Stone) and at least one shooter/finisher (Zibby, Hoff, Ryan).

Imagine having both lines red hot at the same time? The team would be freaking amazing.

BigBush*

I was referring to the placement of players in the lineup. Stone came on from starting at 4th line to being arguably the top RW , at least in the top 2. Chiasson moved down. Lazar to the wing. Pageau moved up... Hoffman likely moves up. Michalek likely moves down, Legwand, Condra gone, room for another player (Prince?).... those changes. As the young players improve the dynamic changes.

Last year there were question marks all over the place. The fact that our best offensive player started on the 4th line tells us that...

This year things seem way more set. I'd be shocked if one of our prospects bumped someone out of the top 6. Ya there's some room in the bottom 6 for guys to battle for spots, but out top 6 is pretty set. That's a good thing though, it means we have legit top 6 players for once

BigBush*

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Chiasson
Puempel-Smith-Prince

Wow man, if you think this organization is going to put Puempel and Prince ahead of Lazar, you must know something I don't.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That's how I see it too. I'll have the following lines though:

Mac - Turris - Stone
Hoff - Ziba - Ryan
Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Puempel - Smith - Chiasson

So we play 4 forwards not as good as Lazar? Pretty unlikely.

I think the best players to win games play all 82 games this year. No one gets in the lineup for development issues or roster issues. We try to win every game as best we can. Thus I strongly doubt Lazar is sent down. He was on what was the third line all year... And all those guys pass him? Scratched Smith and Chiasson and Puempel and Prince? Unlikely.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Chiasson
Puempel-Smith-Prince

I lol'd so hard. There is no scenario where Milo is over Hoffman in a top 6 spot or else we are ****ed in the head. We don't wanna learn again from our playoff brutal mistake of doing that.

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Michalek
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson

That's if Lazar is starting in minors to give Prince a shot which I could see for 10ish games.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanejad Stone
Puempel Pageau Michalek
Prince Smith Lazar

I agree but switch Lazar with Michalek.

Pageau and Lazar together are perfection... if only Condra still there but that's the past but Lazar and Pageau are gorgeous.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have Cowen with Ceci ,and Wier with Boro to start the season .TBh i could care less about Wier and Cowen ,for me i think its all based on whom Ceci ( he is the most important out of the three)would prefer to play with .And i think its Cowen

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think he knows he has to bring it ,in training camp .I think he will cement his spot ,and end the talk of him being in the ahl forever :nod:

Lazar always brings it. It is not even a question whether he will bring it. It is the reason he made it as a 19 year old.

My prediction... In exhibition play Lazar gets to play with more of our better offensively skilled players... Scores some nice goals and brings more then playing it safe 100% of the time and people stop talking about him needing to go to the A to "find his offensive game" and he is either our 3rd line RWer or 4th line centre to start the season. And only misses a game if injured and is never a healthy scratch or plays a game in Bingo.

Plus we are now missing Condra. We need a defensively responsible winger to eat valuable PK and be used in defensive assignments.. Are Prince, Puempel or Chiasson able to do that? Lazar is even world's better then Smith.

This team is now going for it. No more "development" for developments sake. Cameron and Murray will ice the best 20 players every single game. Prince stays on the roster for awhile to not lose him to waivers... Doesn't mean he gets in the lineup unless he earns it or there are injuries.

The "rebuild" is over in the sense that we will play someone over another to "develop" them. Like we might have last season. The playoff race is tight. Every single point counts in October or April.

This is just my opinion... But I strongly believe this. We have not and will not mortgage our future to win right away... But this team totally intends to make the playoffs and go deep and no one on the team will get even a game of being a passenger... Or to get a looksie. You earn your spot or lose it. You go out of the lineup and you might not play for a month. Chiasson or Neil or Greening or Smith or heck Lazar or Pageau will lose their spot of they don't perform. Cameron will give players a little bit of rope and see how they do and not play them 5 sheltered minutes and then take them out of the lineup. Like Puempel and Prince last year. But sitting on a guy for a long time and sheltering him or whatever won't be happening. And if Paul or someone comes to camp and is straight up better then who we have... He will make the team. Unlikely but if he brings it like say Fisher did as a rookie... He will make it. Contracts and waivers and all won't keep him out of the lineup if he is the best option to win games.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think he knows he has to bring it ,in training camp .I think he will cement his spot ,and end the talk of him being in the ahl forever :nod:

Bring the offense you mean? Because the kid doesn't take a shift off, so that's not a worry. I think he realizes that he can take some chances and take some risk offensively, especially if he's going to play with Pageau and Michalek (theoretically). Keep driving the net, keep taking 2 guys with you, but shoot more.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Lazar always brings it. It is not even a question whether he will bring it. It is the reason he made it as a 19 year old.

My prediction... In exhibition play Lazar gets to play with more of our better offensively skilled players... Scores some nice goals and brings more then playing it safe 100% of the time and people stop talking about him needing to go to the A to "find his offensive game" and he is either our 3rd line RWer or 4th line centre to start the season. And only misses a game if injured and is never a healthy scratch or plays a game in Bingo.

Plus we are now missing Condra. We need a defensively responsible winger to eat valuable PK and be used in defensive assignments.. Are Prince, Puempel or Chiasson able to do that? Lazar is even world's better then Smith.

This team is now going for it. No more "development" for developments sake. Cameron and Murray will ice the best 20 players every single game. Prince stays on the roster for awhile to not lose him to waivers... Doesn't mean he gets in the lineup unless he earns it or there are injuries.

The "rebuild" is over in the sense that we will play someone over another to "develop" them. Like we might have last season. The playoff race is tight. Every single point counts in October or April.

This is just my opinion... But I strongly believe this. We have not and will not mortgage our future to win right away... But this team totally intends to make the playoffs and go deep and no one on the team will get even a game of being a passenger... Or to get a looksie. You earn your spot or lose it. You go out of the lineup and you might not play for a month. Chiasson or Neil or Greening or Smith or heck Lazar or Pageau will lose their spot of they don't perform. Cameron will give players a little bit of rope and see how they do and not play them 5 sheltered minutes and then take them out of the lineup. Like Puempel and Prince last year. But sitting on a guy for a long time and sheltering him or whatever won't be happening. And if Paul or someone comes to camp and is straight up better then who we have... He will make the team. Unlikely but if he brings it like say Fisher did as a rookie... He will make it. Contracts and waivers and all won't keep him out of the lineup if he is the best option to win games.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Especially the fact that you earn your spot and continue to earn your spot throughout the year or you lose it - plain as that.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Bring the offense you mean? Because the kid doesn't take a shift off, so that's not a worry. I think he realizes that he can take some chances and take some risk offensively, especially if he's going to play with Pageau and Michalek (theoretically). Keep driving the net, keep taking 2 guys with you, but shoot more.
That and i wouldnt bet against him being even more intense ,I love this kid ,he will be a two way animal for us for years to come :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad