Opening night Roster

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
i wouldnt be surprised at all to see Gardiner a healthy scratch on opening night...
during a post game interview Carlyle was asked if Jake was at the level he was during the playoffs..randy said "not even close".....right then i got the feeling that Gardiner may be in the proverbial "dog house"...

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
If Carlyle doesn't use Gardiner or healthy scratches him a lot, I hope Nonis trades Gardiner to Edmonton where Eakins would use him.

Or Nonis can trade Gardiner to Calgary for something too (like Monahan).

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
i wouldnt be surprised at all to see Gardiner a healthy scratch on opening night...
during a post game interview Carlyle was asked if Jake was at the level he was during the playoffs..randy said "not even close".....right then i got the feeling that Gardiner may be in the proverbial "dog house"...

I think you're reading way to much into a pre-season comment about a guys form in said pre-season compared to the playoffs.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Henny tweets Phaneuf/Franson & Gardiner/Ranger are the PP D-pairings. Gunnar is a lock to be in. So who is the 6th D? Oh the intrigue!

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
What do you all think of the chances Carlyle plays Gardiner as a winger on the 4th line? He's played there before, but under a different coach. Good? Slim? None?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Capgeek shows $65,833 as out cap space now. Multiple people from here including myself inputted that same team and the cap space showed $124,167

I'm confused, is capgeek accurate?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Capgeek shows $65,833 as out cap space now. Multiple people from here including myself inputted that same team and the cap space showed $124,167

100% accurate?, no. But it's as close as one could get without looking over the shoulder of leafs management.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

According to Leafs management, no its not. I cant remember if they actually named capgeek, or just implied they were discussing, but they said its not accurate. Loiselle or Poulin, cant remember which, was talking about this in an interview last week.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I looked for the discrepancy, did the calculation myself and it comes out to 124,167 remaining in cap room the same that was shown last night.

However I wasn't 100% sure how to deal with the bonuses, I just subtracted the off which is what I assume they did last night because it worked out to the same but they bonuses add up to 1,350,000 while it says 1,291,667 on top currently. That would be the discrepancy, but I'm not sure where that number comes from

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I looked for the discrepancy, did the calculation myself and it comes out to 124,167 remaining in cap room the same that was shown last night.

However I wasn't 100% sure how to deal with the bonuses, I just subtracted the off which is what I assume they did last night because it worked out to the same but they bonuses add up to 1,350,000 while it says 1,291,667 on top currently. That would be the discrepancy, but I'm not sure where that number comes from

JM Liles has a $150,000 signing bonus, I wonder if that is somehow pro-rated in the calculation now that he is on the Marlies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
JM Liles has a $150,000 signing bonus, I wonder if that is somehow pro-rated in the calculation now that he is on the Marlies.

capgeek tweeted me saying they changed their bonus calculation today. Apparently using the average bonus over the contract instead of the 2013-2014 bonus. I'm not sure which one if either is correct but I would assume this new one would be more accurate otherwise they wouldn't have changed it.

I don't think Liles bonus makes a difference or is factored in at all or at least it doesn't seem like Capgeek has ever been factoring it in

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why not go with 7 Ds opening night?

Why tire the team out more than you have to in back to back nights?
Not a good way to start the season imo.

McLaren is going to be out for a while anyway why not just LTIR him? As he didnt play any games in the preseason he could probably use a conditioning stint in the AHL when he is ready to return anyway.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...s-for-the-maple-leafs-season/article14608611/

2. The salary cap will be a season-long concern

Leafs GM Dave Nonis and capologist Claude Loiselle did some mighty deft work to get Toronto under the cap by a mere $65,833 in time for opening night, but that’s going to make for a balancing act that will last all season.

McLaren’s injury will likely result in him spending some time on long-term injured reserve, which buys the Leafs a little more room in that they can call up someone to replace his salary and temporarily exceed the cap in doing so.

Once McLaren returns, however, Toronto must get back under the $64.3-million limit and that will take some clever manoeuvring to make happen.

Making the Leafs situation considerably worse is the fact they have $5.5-million in “dead” cap space dedicated to two buyouts (Darcy Tucker and Colby Armstrong), one demotion (John-Michael Liles) and two retained salaries (Matt Frattin and Ben Scrivens).

Expect Toronto to use a very small roster all season and perhaps even rely on the CBA’s new emergency exception rule a few times if they run into injury issues.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Anyone else find it funny that in years past the Leafs were criticized for not spending every cap dollar and not using our financial might to its fullest, but now that weve done just that the media is freaking out over our cap situation?

Were fine. I'd rather be in our situation then one like the Sens, where they just sent Zibanejad to the minors because of his salary. They're going with a 22 man roster to stay under their internal cap.

mikebel111*

he never said "not even close". Just saying he needs to evolve more. People need to watch the interview

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Were fine. I'd rather be in our situation then one like the Sens, where they just sent Zibanejad to the minors because of his salary. They're going with a 22 man roster to stay under their internal cap.

I don't think that was it at all, apparently they kept Da Costa instead of Ziba, Ziba only costs 100k more, I doubt they brought a worse player instead just because of 100k.

Maybe they did it because Da Costa was subject to waivers? Sens fans said Da Costa had a better camp, I'm sure that's part of it too.
But I doubt they did it to save 100k

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't think that was it at all, apparently they kept Da Costa instead of Ziba, Ziba only costs 100k more, I doubt they brought a worse player instead just because of 100k.

Maybe they did it because Da Costa was subject to waivers? Sens fans said Da Costa had a better camp, I'm sure that's part of it too.
But I doubt they did it to save 100k

I believe Zibby has higher performance bonuses

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
When we have a full team... i'd like to see this (though i don't think it will happen):

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bolland - Clarkson
Kulemin - Bozak - Rayond
McLaren - McClemment - Orr

Phaneuf - Gunner
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Ranger

For tomorrow, i'd just have Ashton, Leivo and/or McClement take Clarkson's spot until he returns

Mr Scarface*

When we have a full team... i'd like to see this (though i don't think it will happen):

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bolland - Clarkson
Kulemin - Bozak - Rayond
McLaren - McClemment - Orr

Phaneuf - Gunner
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Ranger

For tomorrow, i'd just have Ashton, Leivo and/or McClement take Clarkson's spot until he returns
Actually looking at our centermen, we do have STRENGTH in C's. Not our weakness really. In every line we have a strong contender. This type of team reminds me of stanley cup winning teams who had a fine C playing in every line. McClement for example is one of the best in his situation in the whole league. So is Bolland really. And I certainly am not worried about Bozak and Kadri with all those great wingers. This is going to be an exciting season coming up for sure. So Stoked!!

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I also think the Leafs will simply stay a man down on the roster much of the early season to gain cap space.

The concern about centre is not the four they have on the roster at present. Aside from Bozak, I think each of the Leafs centres is in the top ten of NHL pivots at their place in the depth chart. (Kadri is a top ten number two center, at the least. McClement is a top ten fourth center and Bolland is perhaps the best number three in the league. His name is on the Stanley Cup twice, basically playing that role, after all!) The problem is the depth after those four and what would happen in case of injury.

I also think it is possible that the Leafs may play 11 forwards and 7 defensemen from time to time early in the season. I don't think Gardner would play wing, however. I think they would double shift wings to fill out the fourth line.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Looks as though Rielly might sit tomorrow.

I imagine though at the very least he plays in Philly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad