Opening night Roster

Asif16*

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Ranger

That is the D we will see tomorrow.

Funny, our 3rd pairing, could easily play 2nd pairing minutes, hopefully we see something like 23-22-15 in terms of minutes played

Randy carlyle loves Mark fraser. He likes what he brings as a 6th d. He likes to have a little bit of nasty and edge in the back end. I just dont see mark fraser sitting. Even hough i like the lineup you posted, i dont see mark fraser sitting.

Remember all the times people on this board was telling carlyle to sit mark fraser? Both during regular season and in the playoffs. Randy carlyle didnt budge. I doubt he does it now.

One of gardiner and reilly is gonna sit imo

thunderhawk905*

David Broll (opening night)

I've seen more than a few posters with Broll inked on the 3rd line for opening night.

Realistically, what are the chances we'll see him in that role?

I can't for the life of me understand the logic surrounding that potential move, or why he's still up with the Leafs in the first place. He has speed but didn't put much together during the pre-season and was less than impressive when he fought.
I think he will have a productive year for the Marlies, playing much more than a 'tough guy' role...but opening night?

thunderhawk905*

Montreal will have Parros-White-Prust line aganst us on opening night. So, im pretty sure carlyle will not go into the game with just Orr.

Especially with clarkson gone as well, our toughness takes a hit. Also considering the scott/kessel incident.

One of Broll/Devane will start on opening night.

My guess for lineup...

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond
Broll-Bolland-Kulemin
Ashton-Mcclement-Orr

Gunnarson-Phaneuf
Reilly-Ranger
Fraser-Franson

Reimer

Broll? Really? ...I'd be shocked.

Asif16*

Broll? Really? ...I'd be shocked.

Well dont be. There's a reason broll didnt get sent down yet. Broll didnt look bad at all in preseason. He showed that he has decent speed and decent puck handles for a tough guy. He's not your typical 4th line enforcer.

But again, this is only until Mclaren and Clarkson comes back. Then he's gone for sure.

But again, Montreal will most likely have Parros, White, Prust, Tinordi and Murray for opening night. With mclaren injured, clarkson suspended......One of devane or broll will make it

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Randy carlyle loves Mark fraser. He likes what he brings as a 6th d. He likes to have a little bit of nasty and edge in the back end. I just dont see mark fraser sitting. Even hough i like the lineup you posted, i dont see mark fraser sitting.

Remember all the times people on this board was telling carlyle to sit mark fraser? Both during regular season and in the playoffs. Randy carlyle didnt budge. I doubt he does it now.

One of gardiner and reilly is gonna sit imo

1. Carlyle doesn't listen to people on these boards :laugh:

2. Fraser played great last season, no one was, or should have been wanting him out of the line up.

3. Now, after a terrible pre-season, it makes sense to make him the 7th D to start because now, we have 6 D better then him.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Well dont be. There's a reason broll didnt get sent down yet. Broll didnt look bad at all in preseason. He showed that he has decent speed and decent puck handles for a tough guy. He's not your typical 4th line enforcer.

But again, this is only until Mclaren and Clarkson comes back. Then he's gone for sure.

But again, Montreal will most likely have Parros, White, Prust, Tinordi and Murray for opening night. With mclaren injured, clarkson suspended......One of devane or broll will make it

Broll got sent down. Come out of fantasy land. And Broll gave me no reason why he should be playing in NHL.

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 9h
Leafs officially assign D’Amigo, Abbott, McKegg, Leivo, Broll, Devane, Percy, MacWilliam to the Marlies.

thunderhawk905*

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but filling him in on the 3rd line is the confusing part.

We're much more likely to see Ashton on the 3rd and Devane with Orr/McClement.

As much as I think Broll has high potential, Devane has been a much more offensive 4th liner in the pre-season and is the kind of toughness we need opening night.

Asif16*

Broll got sent down. Come out of fantasy land. And Broll gave me no reason why he should be playing in NHL.

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 9h
Leafs officially assign D’Amigo, Abbott, McKegg, Leivo, Broll, Devane, Percy, MacWilliam to the Marlies.

Oh my bad. Completely missed that. My fault on that one.

Asif16*

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but filling him in on the 3rd line is the confusing part.

We're much more likely to see Ashton on the 3rd and Devane with Orr/McClement.

As much as I think Broll has high potential, Devane has been a much more offensive 4th liner in the pre-season and is the kind of toughness we need opening night.

I can see that happening as well. The quote above me said that Devane and broll got sent down too though...so i guess not?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I agree so there over the cap by about 500k and if Mclaren is not LTIR then by 1.2 million. Something has to give in this scenerio

My mistake, we would be under by 0.474 if McLaren goes on the IR:

JVR(4.25) Bozak(4.2) Kessel(5.4)
Lupul(5.25) Kadri(2.9) Kulemin(2.8)
Raymond(1) Bolland(3.375) Ashton(1.04)
Fraser(1.275) McClemment(1.5) Orr(925)
Clarkson(5.25)

Gunnarsson(3.15) Phaneuf(6.5)
Gardiner(1.117) Franson(2)
Rielly(1.744) Ranger(1)

Reimer(1.8)
Bernier(2.9)

Not on Roster(5.45)

Team Payroll(63.826)
Salary Cap(64.3)
Cap Space(0.474)

McLaren(0.7)

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
Reilly has his 9 games to prove he is better than liles. He is 1.7m on the cap while liles is saving them 925k. Could send Reilly back and bring liles + 1 of the various depth fwd they have.

This decision to keep Reilly will backfire. Liles alhough a horrible contract is 100% a bonafide nhler, admittedly even by TML mgmt.

I don't understand why they'd rather run with a short roster to keep an unproven 19 y/o who although played a standout role in the preseason, he also showed areas of improvement.

snizzbone*

Reilly has his 9 games to prove he is better than liles. He is 1.7m on the cap while liles is saving them 925k. Could send Reilly back and bring liles + 1 of the various depth fwd they have.

This decision to keep Reilly will backfire. Liles alhough a horrible contract is 100% a bonafide nhler, admittedly even by TML mgmt.

I don't understand why they'd rather run with a short roster to keep an unproven 19 y/o who although played a standout role in the preseason, he also showed areas of improvement.

Because that 19 year old will get better the more he plays. Liles is already past his glory days.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007

The thing with Reilly is that he's proven he's too good to go back to Juniors. I'm happy with him being on the Leafs where he can learn instead of being in Juniors developing bad habits out of boredom.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Yep, I agree it'd be Bodie, Broll or Devane as the 12th forward. If and when Bodie clears waivers, he can be recalled and reassigned just like the waiver exempt Broll and Devane.

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
The thing with Reilly is that he's proven he's too good to go back to Juniors. I'm happy with him being on the Leafs where he can learn instead of being in Juniors developing bad habits out of boredom.
he's proved absolutely 0 to date; the preseason is meaningless, so we'll see how he does. They could destroy him by keeping him all year, and there are no players I can think of who got worse by playing an extra year in JR. Hopefully moosejaw can trade him to a contender and he can play a key role on the World Jr. team, giving him amazing big game experience that is needed more so than skills development.

The only thing he has proved is he has the capability of being a NHLer at some point.

the first word in defenceman is defence - and that is something that he will need to focus on in the first 10 games he plays or he MUST go back, not only for this development both physically and mentally but also for roster considerations with the Leafs. We are effectively rolling 3 lines for the first 10 games until Clarkson can come back because they want Reilly who should max out at 15mins a game.

Liles may be past his prime, but he's not past being a quality NHL vet and his cap savings is negligible.

Let the kid play his 10 games and if he is truly a standout player in those first few weeks, then keep him.

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
My mistake, we would be under by 0.474 if McLaren goes on the IR:

JVR(4.25) Bozak(4.2) Kessel(5.4)
Lupul(5.25) Kadri(2.9) Kulemin(2.8)
Raymond(1) Bolland(3.375) Ashton(1.04)
Fraser(1.275) McClemment(1.5) Orr(925)
Clarkson(5.25)

Gunnarsson(3.15) Phaneuf(6.5)
Gardiner(1.117) Franson(2)
Rielly(1.744) Ranger(1)

Reimer(1.8)
Bernier(2.9)

Not on Roster(5.45)

Team Payroll(63.826)
Salary Cap(64.3)
Cap Space(0.474)

McLaren(0.7)
maybe try Gardiner as a rover on FWD and the point on the PP??? people always said Kaberle should play forward and Gardiner is a much slicker puck handler and one of the best skaters on the team.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
maybe try Gardiner as a rover on FWD and the point on the PP??? people always said Kaberle should play forward and Gardiner is a much slicker puck handler and one of the best skaters on the team.

Oh please. That's pretty advanced stuff. And you're talking about the guy who put Grabovski in a checking line center role, refuses to dislodge Bozak from Kessel's hip and inflicted Leaf fans with weeks of Korbinian suffering while Liles sat in the press box. We're not talking about Mike Babcock here, never going to happen.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They're going to dress 11 forwards and 7 dmen opening night. Not a big deal.

We get to see kessel and lupul double shift instead of mclaren. This is good.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
They're going to dress 11 forwards and 7 dmen opening night. Not a big deal.

We get to see kessel and lupul double shift instead of mclaren. This is good.

Where'd you hear this?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have a hard time to believe that the Leafs will start shorthanded all ready.

Talk about dropping the ball. Really disappointing that Nonis couldn't pull out some magic to remedy the situation.

He still has a day I guess...

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Where'd you hear this?

Didn't write the original post but it is pretty obvious thats what is going to happen unless McLaren hits LTIR and we can call up someone.

If McLaren only goes on IR, Toronto will dress 7 D and double shift a workhouse to play an extra 5 minutes on the bottom line. My guess is it will be JVR, Kulemin, or McClement.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Raymond

Option 1,2:
Kulemin - Bolland - Ashton
JVR/Kulemin - McClement - Orr

Option 3:
Kulemin - Bolland - McClement
Ashton - McClement - Orr

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Man, some people here are really looking too much into this whole Reilly situation. Suggesting we are going to "destroy Reilly" by keeping him up or that he would start making bad plays in junior out of "boredom?" Come on. :rolleyes:

Reilly has looked good in training camp, but not great. And with players like Garinder, Phaneuf, and Franson, who can move the puck, Reilly may not be needed just yet. However, I can still see RC giving him his 9 games, just to give him a taste of what regular season hockey is like.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lines in practice this morning:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Raymond - Bolland - Clarkson
Ashton - McClement - Orr

relieved to see Kadri and Lupul back together. I was getting worried.

I'm guessing that Ashton and McClement will rotate in that 3rd line wing spot in Clarkson's place there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad