Post-Game Talk: OPENING NIGHT! October 8th - VAN @ CGY - 8:00MT (Sportsnet)

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Hate to say it, but Hank actually deserves a bit of credit on that EN goal..

Ah well, big road trip coming up.. I guess it's pretty much a given that we'll see Ramo vs the Coilers?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Maybe I need to see it again, on the replay I honestly don't recall him even touching it :/

It was basically a nudge with his forearm as he was falling down. His stick was broken and he was about to fall on the puck, so it was all he could do to keep the play going.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I really, really like Bob Hartley but what the hell was Bollig playing with Gaudreau? Or why is Bouma playing with Backlund?

Couldn't we see a top 6 of:
Raymond-Backlund-Gaudreau
Glencross-Monahan-Hudler

Pretty please?

But man, even though we lost, I'm happy that hockey is back.

Giordano-Brodie pairing is so good. Russell was good as well. But I thought the best forward on the ice was Johnny. He was awesome.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Aside from the Sedins + Vrbata the Canucks didn't look all that great anyway.
I thought Bonino had a really strong game.

Sedins + Vrbata are the stars on that team.

Burrows Bonino Kassian Higgins Vey are the depth guys.... good depth guys but they wont shine like the Twins or Vrbata

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Russell, Johnny and surprisingly enough Bollig stood out in a positive way IMO.

Wideman, Colborne (except for the first goal) stood out in that other way.

Meh game, but that was expected. Tomorrow, I expect fireworks!

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
After watching this game I would like to see:

JG / Monahan / Jones
Glencross / Backlund / Byron
Raymond / Colborne / Hudler
Bouma / Stajan / Bollig

I think Hudler, JG and Byron need to separated. I can't help but think monhan/ jones in front of the net and to open space for JG would be good.
Byron/Backlund had decent chemistry last half of the 3rd when Hartley started double shifting Byron/JG
And our smallest combo would be Raymond/Hudler but with Colborne could be ok.

I dunno, Grats and Bollig both dont need to play, so spread the little guys out.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Do you disagree that he nudged the puck to Raymond as he was falling, or do you disagree that that constitutes a hand-pass?
I'm not even sure he intentionally touched the puck with his hand so much as the puck hit him.

I guess I can see how he nudged it back, but I don't think that play should constitute a hand pass.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I want to see Monahan playing healthy. I don't think we'll see it tomorrow night, though, unless it's just a 24-hour thing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Stopping by to say I can't believe Gaudreau is still alive. He's so small, gonna get lit up for sure. Probably won't ever cut it in this league.

Just kidding. He's ****ing awesome, and I have such little doubt that he will be a superstar. My pick for the Calder to start the year. Great to see him generating chances already.

Thanks bud, the Johnny fever is running hard and fierce in Calgary!

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Cant tell if watching the Leafs/Habs game before this made us seem as terrible as I thought, or if we were actually this bad last season too and I was blind all season. The only players I will say played average or better are Byron, Gaudreau, Russell, Gio, Brodie, and maybe Hudler and Backllund.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Backlund's still evolving his offensive game; taking notes from Johnny Hockey. But man does he have to work on his accuracy...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not even sure he intentionally touched the puck with his hand so much as the puck hit him.

I guess I can see how he nudged it back, but I don't think that play should constitute a hand pass.

Well, I don't either, but a rule is a rule. You don't have to intentionally hit it with your arm either, even if it just deflects off your hand to a team-mate I'm pretty sure it's still a hand pass.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Well, I don't either, but a rule is a rule. You don't have to intentionally hit it with your arm either, even if it just deflects off your hand to a team-mate I'm pretty sure it's still a hand pass.

Yeah a rule is a rule, but I still think Ref's should be able to make certain judgement calls. But I guess that's a whole other story all together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad