Speculation: Opening Night Lines?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Hello y'all. How has Seider looked? Considering picking him up but not sure if he'll be a big point getter?

For general hockey purposes, he's looked quite good. Mature player, transitions play well, responsible in his own end, etc. Red Wings fans are happy.

For fantasy hockey purposes, I'm not sure he's a player I'd draft before the last few rounds (depending on how many teams in your league I suppose). Leddy and Hronek are probably the better bets from a fantasy perspective.

Seider will probably be playing top 4 even strength minutes, and he'll hopefully quarterback the 2nd powerplay unit (Leddy on the first, Hronek has been playing off the left half wall). The Red Wings still play a pretty conservative brand of hockey, and we don't have a ton of firepower on offense, so I don't think you'll see that many points out of Seider this year.

He wouldn't be a bad bet, and if it's a keeper league that could certainly change the picture, but I don't think you're looking at the next Hughes/Makar in terms of rookie production.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Veleno and Raymond have played well enough to make the team. I also think, that Tyut is worth keeping as he is better than Rowney and Namestnikov who I expect will be on the team. Rowney has looked pretty bad to me.
Rowney might get sent down, but there's no way Stevie sends his boy Vlad down to GR even if he deserves it.

Tyut is only 21, let him have a season in the AHL. I think Pearson deserves a shot after Joey and Lucas, even if he plays boring hockey. Tyut is certainly intriguing though.

Reactions: lilidk

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I really hope Raymond makes the team. I would of preferred to sign Ryan over Ganger with bringing Rowney and Stephens and already have Pearson. It’s just too much redundancy for my liking

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No reason to push injured guys in a meaningless season. I'm gonna be bold and say they rest the injured players to start the season:

Raymond - Larkin - Zadina
Fabbri - Suter - Ryan
Namestikov - Veleno - Erne
Smith - Stephens - Gagme
Bert - LTIR (since he hasn't played a game since early last season)
Raz - IR
Rowney - GR

DDK - Hronek
Leddy - Seider
Staal - Stecher
Oesterle - Lindstrom (Healthy scratch)

Wishful thinking, lol.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I would be devastated if Raymond made team and got crushed by some idiot in AHL or NHL, he is still tiny. Best option would be SHL at least for one year so he could fill his frame and getting that Calder next season. I believe SHL is much better league for developing young players than GR.

The only way to learn is to get crushed or nearly crushed.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
From last year, the good 1st line:
FABBRI - LARKIN - BERTUZZI

They had some chemistry together. When Vrana is injured, there's no speculation about Vrana being or not being on the top line. We can add Raymond to 2nd line:
ZADINA - SUTER - RAYMOND

Kind of cheking line or shut-down line or whatever. Namestnikov has been pretty bad, so I prefer vet Gagner there.
ERNE - RASMUSSEN - GAGNER
Maybe swap Zadina/Erne to have equal skill/physucality in both Middle6 lines

Typical 4th line, wrecking ball -Smith + 2 best penalty-killers.
SMITH - STEPHENS - ROWNEY

13th forward:
Namestnikov

Then 8 defencemen we already know + 2 goalies.
I like that second line, hope to see it today vs Chicago

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Still early, and Raymond/Berggren could sway me...
But what I'd like to see:

Bertuzzi Larkin Zadina
Fabbri Suter Namestnikov
Veleno Rasmussen Erne
Smith Stephens Gagner
Rowney

Using Rowney to sub in.

Even without Ryan, that leaves us with
Berggren, Pearson, Raymond, Hirose, Barber and Witkowski as callups.
And I'm comfortable with any of those guys as callups.

Haven't seen Berggren yet against NHL talent.
But unless he absolute tears it up in these last few games, I think Raymond should start in GR.

Also, Tyutyayev should get an NHL contract.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I want to Raymond and Veleno make it, but I understand there's a lot of bodies at forward already.

My concern is with looking at next season's roster, there will be a lot of holes to fill with some vets likely leaving on both offense and defense.

I don't really love the idea of having to ice a ton of rookies next season, I'd rather get some of them as many games as possible now (assuming they are ready, of course) otherwise I worry next year will be a step back if we rely on so many rookies at the same time. I especially worry about the defense for next year and what that will look like.

As for this season's lineup, if we can actually stay healthy it really isn't awful.

Reactions: lilidk

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I want to Raymond and Veleno make it, but I understand there's a lot of bodies at forward already.

My concern is with looking at next season's roster, there will be a lot of holes to fill with some vets likely leaving on both offense and defense.

I don't really love the idea of having to ice a ton of rookies next season, I'd rather get some of them as many games as possible now (assuming they are ready, of course) otherwise I worry next year will be a step back if we rely on so many rookies at the same time. I especially worry about the defense for next year and what that will look like.

As for this season's lineup, if we can actually stay healthy it really isn't awful.
Yzerman will go digging deep through the bargain bin again next year. You'll see Raymond, Veleno maybe Bergrenn and a ton of flotsam and jetsam.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman will go digging deep through the bargain bin again next year. You'll see Raymond, Veleno maybe Bergrenn and a ton of flotsam and jetsam.
The UFAs are:
- Namestnikov
- Fabbri
- Gagner
- Rowney
- Ryan? (if signed)
- DDK
- Staal
- Stecher
- Leddy
- Greiss

So the only ones that matter are Fabbri, Leddy, and Greiss. The rest of the players were replacement level anyways. All 3 will need a raise if Stevie wants to keep them, no reason not to with Nielsen's buyout almost gone ($4.25M this season but only $500k next season).

If Stevie let's those 3 walk and doesn't find suitable replacements then we ALL have a reason to grip. Not gonna complain until we see what happens next offseason.

I happen to like Fabbri more so than the rest of the people here, so I want to see him re-signed. There may be better alternatives in free agency though.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
The UFAs are:
- Namestnikov
- Fabbri
- Gagner
- Rowney
- Ryan? (if signed)
- DDK
- Staal
- Stecher
- Leddy
- Greiss

So the only ones that matter are Fabbri, Leddy, and Greiss. The rest of the players were replacement level anyways. All 3 will need a raise if Stevie wants to keep them, no reason not to with Nielsen's buyout almost gone ($4.25M this season but only $500k next season).

If Stevie let's those 3 walk and doesn't find suitable replacements then we ALL have a reason to grip. Not gonna complain until we see what happens next offseason.

I happen to like Fabbri more so than the rest of the people here, so I want to see him re-signed. There may be better alternatives in free agency though.
I think he'll resign Namestnikov and Gagner. Maybe Staal/DDK. Fabbri will get hurt and Leddy will walk along with the rest. I suspect other pieces will be gone before the end of the season as well. Cough*Bert*cough...

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Raymond Larkin Ryan
Bertuzzi Fabbri Suter
Rasmussen Veleno Berggren
Erne Namestnikov Smith
Zadina extra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad