Speculation: Opening Night Lines?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I’d like to see veleno make the team but there will be injuries so I’m sure we will see a lot of him this season

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
f*** I'm so tired of this stale thinking.
Who was the last Red Wing to "dominate" in the AHL. Pulkkinen.
Before him, who? Hudler?

It's astonishing to me the best Yzerman can do is f***ing Gagner and Ryan.
Two guys plagued by character issues/compete issues throughout their career.
Two guys known more for what they could have been than what they were (let alone what they are).

Also - I'm trying to figure out the path forward for Veleno.
1C-Larkin. 2C-Suter 3C-Rasmussen 4C-Stephens.
Is there a plan to give him an opportunity? Or does he get waived next year?
Hronek put up .77 ppg from the blue line. That's pretty good.

Reactions: 14ari13

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
IF Ryan makes the team it will make no sense to me, he’s a good guy but raymond is clearly more electric and a play driver. As for veleno he has spent already two years in the AHL and SHL I just don’t see the point in him not being on the team. There’s just no need for guys like gagner or Ryan to be on the team, they are taking up space and younger players can do what they do.
I like both of them , but for playing and teaching kids not playing instead of kids

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We have so many entertaining kids, but we're going to play a boring style of hockey yet again.

Carter Rowney come on down.... :facepalm:

Raymond could go a point per game in the preseason and he's still gonna get cut. It's obvious all the kids are destined for GR. If he or Veleno can't find their way onto the team, we will easily have the least entertaining roster in the NHL.

Reactions: lilidk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We have so many entertaining kids, but we're going to play a boring style of hockey yet again.

Carter Rowney come on down.... :facepalm:

Raymond could go a point per game in the preseason and he's still gonna get cut. It's obvious all the kids are destined for GR. If he or Veleno can't find their way onto the team, we will easily have the least entertaining roster in the NHL.
Raymond is on a line with Larkin tonight. I think you’re exaggerating.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Raymond is on a line with Larkin tonight. I think you’re exaggerating.

Yeah I saw that, I just think it tells us a lot that Raymond and Veleno are practicing with the GR group while Ryan is practicing with the Detroit group.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Raymond literally forces the team to keep him around, but something tells me they've already decided that Raymond and Veleno are starting in GR.

Carter Rowney is such a waste of a roster spot. I know Ray and Veleno don't play that role, but I'd rather see Pearson play than Carter Rowney. Rowney is terrible and brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah I saw that, I just think it tells us a lot that Raymond and Veleno are practicing with the GR group while Ryan is practicing with the Detroit group.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Raymond literally forces the team to keep him around, but something tells me they've already decided that Raymond and Veleno are starting in GR.

Carter Rowney is such a waste of a roster spot. I know Ray and Veleno don't play that role, but I'd rather see Pearson play than Carter Rowney. Rowney is terrible and brings absolutely nothing to the table.

I don’t think it means they’ve made up their minds. They are just putting guys in the NHL practice session based on whether the person is NHL or bust.

What good is putting Rowney or Stephens in the GR practice session if they are going to be NHL or waivers/cut?

Use the GR practice session as an attempt to motivate Joe and Lucas. The play in game and the attitude they come to practice with is what will make or break their spot. The staff will know if they have forced their hand.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don’t think it means they’ve made up their minds. They are just putting guys in the NHL practice session based on whether the person is NHL or bust.

What good is putting Rowney or Stephens in the GR practice session if they are going to be NHL or waivers/cut?

Use the GR practice session as an attempt to motivate Joe and Lucas. The play in game and the attitude they come to practice with is what will make or break their spot. The staff will know if they have forced their hand.
it's also a move that lets you know if you have a worker or a whiner on your hands.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Barber is actually a guy I think can help some nights.
I dunno, obviously every NHL GM thinks there's something missing to his game. I don't watch enough GR games to know what that something is.

Seems like he's another Keith Aucoin, destined to be an AHL superstar. At least Aucoin got s few legit shots at the NHL, whereas Barber only got a couple of looks.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I dunno, obviously every NHL GM thinks there's something missing to his game. I don't watch enough GR games to know what that something is.

Seems like he's another Keith Aucoin, destined to be an AHL superstar. At least Aucoin got s few legit shots at the NHL, whereas Barber only got a couple of looks.

Puempel is another guy I feel that way about. In a limited role, 2nd PP unit role, i can see him helping. Hirose, too.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

In limited viewing, I've been thoroughly unimpressed by Rowney.

Reactions: Hinterland

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
After watching 3 preseason games :

Zadina - Larkin - Raymond
Fabbri - Suter - Bertuzzi
Veleno - Namestnikov - Erne
Smith - Stephens - Gagner

Leddy - Seider
Dekeyser - Hronek
Staal - Stecher

Nedeljkovic
Greiss

Extras : I really want to put Hirose / Pearson here, but I think it will be Rowney / Witkowski. Lindstrom as the extra D.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I honestly like it. I want Raymond and Veleno and Berggren to dominate the AHL.
I would be devastated if Raymond made team and got crushed by some idiot in AHL or NHL, he is still tiny. Best option would be SHL at least for one year so he could fill his frame and getting that Calder next season. I believe SHL is much better league for developing young players than GR.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
After watching 3 preseason games :

Zadina - Larkin - Raymond
Fabbri - Suter - Bertuzzi
Veleno - Namestnikov - Erne
Smith - Stephens - Gagner

Leddy - Seider
Dekeyser - Hronek
Staal - Stecher

Nedeljkovic
Greiss

Extras : I really want to put Hirose / Pearson here, but I think it will be Rowney / Witkowski. Lindstrom as the extra D.

rasmussen?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
From last year, the good 1st line:
FABBRI - LARKIN - BERTUZZI

They had some chemistry together. When Vrana is injured, there's no speculation about Vrana being or not being on the top line. We can add Raymond to 2nd line:
ZADINA - SUTER - RAYMOND

Kind of cheking line or shut-down line or whatever. Namestnikov has been pretty bad, so I prefer vet Gagner there.
ERNE - RASMUSSEN - GAGNER
Maybe swap Zadina/Erne to have equal skill/physucality in both Middle6 lines

Typical 4th line, wrecking ball -Smith + 2 best penalty-killers.
SMITH - STEPHENS - ROWNEY

13th forward:
Namestnikov

Then 8 defencemen we already know + 2 goalies.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think Veleno and Raymond have played well enough to make the team. I also think, that Tyut is worth keeping as he is better than Rowney and Namestnikov who I expect will be on the team. Rowney has looked pretty bad to me.

Reactions: Gniwder

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hello y'all. How has Seider looked? Considering picking him up but not sure if he'll be a big point getter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad