Speculation: Opening Night Lines?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Veleno probably going to stuck in GR. They will try to make him center, play a lot of minutes. Pearson is bottom 5 NHL ready, could be first one to call up. I hope Raymond not in GR, he is the most skilled forward in organization and will make Detroit less boring.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Seems like the likely lineup, and I've got no complaints.
It's still early in the offseason. Maybe Veleno or Raymond takes a spot, but they have to prove it first

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I actually like that 4th line. I like the 1st line. I thought Ryan was on a tryout, did he get signed? Kind of a bummer if he’s in a top 6 slot, even though I like the guy. Hopefully Berggren comes back and can make a push for that spot.

Very sick of Dekeyser on the top pair. Hopefully that 2nd pair becomes the top pair. Really wish we would have looked at a guy like McCabe in free agency instead of re-signing Marc Staal.

Reactions: David D

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
This feels like it's one of those moments where the team is trying to see what a little "adversity" does with a player/couple of players and whether those players come back and dominate in their next game or if they will sulk away and resign themselves to an inevitable fate. You'll know in the next game that Veleno/Raymond play where things stand. If Raymond plays well enough, I could easily see Ryan dropped down to Namestnikov's spot and Namestnikov being the 13th forward, with Raymond playing with Suter/Fabbri.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Witkofsky

I'd like it more if Witter was just a flat out better hockey player, but I have a hard time seeing Smith/Stephens getting more than 10-12 minutes a night regardless. I was wondering what that Rowney guy is like.

I actually like that 4th line. I like the 1st line. I thought Ryan was on a tryout, did he get signed? Kind of a bummer if he’s in a top 6 slot, even though I like the guy. Hopefully Berggren comes back and can make a push for that spot.

Very sick of Dekeyser on the top pair. Hopefully that 2nd pair becomes the top pair. Really wish we would have looked at a guy like McCabe in free agency instead of re-signing Marc Staal.

I think it's just an assumption that Ryan is going to be signed at this point and the question is if you'd rather see Ryan or Gagner on the second line.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
By the sound of it, Blash likes the Larkin - Bertuzzi pairing, as well as the Suter - Fabbri pairing, and he is now trying to figure out the third player for those lines. Makes sense that they are testing different options to see which works best.

My guess: They have 3 games in 3 days coming up, Saturday evening, Sunday noon, and Monday evening.

I think we will see the "NHL squad" play at home on Saturday, "AHL squad" will go to Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Then on Monday they will most likely play a "mixed squad" again (mainly NHLers though since it's a home game), where they can rest some guys. My guess is that Raymond and Veleno will play here as well, perhaps same lines as yesterday, or perhaps in a new surrounding.

Reactions: golffuul

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I really like how Erne and Stephens have stepped up. Can Stephens play RW? I'd love to move both up a line. Fabbri, Suter, Erne would be a tough line to play against, fiesty and two way ability. Then keep Veleno and put him on the wing with Ras and Stephens on the right. Last line would be Smith, Names, and Gagne.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Look I'm not gonna throw a fit if Raymond starts in GR, I think there's a solid argument that that's the right place for his development in his D+2.

But this is a great example why a lot of us roll our eyes when the org signs vet plugs and people say, "Well, all the kids have to do is outperform them and they'll earn a spot."

C'mon. Raymond is pretty clearly outperforming many roster players. If we think that GR is best for his development right now then fair enough, but please miss me with the "he has to look like he belongs" nonsense if you're just going to put him in the minors despite excellent production in camp and pre-season.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Look I'm not gonna throw a fit if Raymond starts in GR, I think there's a solid argument that that's the right place for his development in his D+2.

But this is a great example why a lot of us roll our eyes when the org signs vet plugs and people say, "Well, all the kids have to do is outperform them and they'll earn a spot."

C'mon. Raymond is pretty clearly outperforming many roster players. If we think that GR is best for his development right now then fair enough, but please miss me with the "he has to look like he belongs" nonsense if you're just going to put him in the minors despite excellent production in camp and pre-season.
You're looking at the lineups for a practice 1/4 of the way through preseason. THIS is the beginning of the evaluation period to see if they can outperform other players.

Reactions: golffuul

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You're looking at the lineups for a practice 1/4 of the way through preseason. THIS is the beginning of the evaluation period to see if they can outperform other players.

True, I am being hasty, there's still hockey to be played.

I just feel like I've seen this story a million times before, and regardless of how good Raymond looks he'll end up in GR. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Reactions: David D and izlez

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I honestly like it. I want Raymond and Veleno and Berggren to dominate the AHL.

f*** I'm so tired of this stale thinking.
Who was the last Red Wing to "dominate" in the AHL. Pulkkinen.
Before him, who? Hudler?

It's astonishing to me the best Yzerman can do is f***ing Gagner and Ryan.
Two guys plagued by character issues/compete issues throughout their career.
Two guys known more for what they could have been than what they were (let alone what they are).

Also - I'm trying to figure out the path forward for Veleno.
1C-Larkin. 2C-Suter 3C-Rasmussen 4C-Stephens.
Is there a plan to give him an opportunity? Or does he get waived next year?

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
f*** I'm so tired of this stale thinking.
Who was the last Red Wing to "dominate" in the AHL. Pulkkinen.
Before him, who? Hudler?

It's astonishing to me the best Yzerman can do is f***ing Gagner and Ryan.
Two guys plagued by character issues/compete issues throughout their career.
Two guys known more for what they could have been than what they were (let alone what they are).

If I had it my way we'd go something like

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Fabbri - Suter - Raymond
Veleno - Rasmussen - Erne
Namestikov - Stephens - Smith
Rowney/Gagner scratched, Witkowski/Berggren in GR

I agree on Ryan, I don't really see the necessity there. Veleno has played almost two full AHL/SHL seasons in a top six role, I'd rip the bandaid off and just have him on the NHL roster at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

A) He'll trade one guy for double first rounds for somebody to open a slot.

B) Or will have 5 Centers and put one to wing and have spare option for injuries.

C) Or trades Veleno for double 1st rounders for somebody.

Just some unexpected miracle is gonna happen. Yzerman will find a way.

You're tired against the Best GM at hockey when he says "be patient".

So you have your right to be tired.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
If I had it my way we'd go something like

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Fabbri - Suter - Raymond
Veleno - Rasmussen - Erne
Namestikov - Stephens - Smith
Rowney/Gagner scratched, Witkowski/Berggren in GR

I agree on Ryan, I don't really see the necessity there. Veleno has played almost two full AHL/SHL seasons in a top six role, I'd rip the bandaid off and just have him on the NHL roster at this point.
Definitely can see these lines, with Beggren eventually taking Namestnikov's spot on the roster with Erne going to the 4th line.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't see Raymond making the roster this year but I would be okay if he did, I think pencil Ryan in that spot. Would be nice to see Beggren get a lot of games this year.

This season is going to be painful lol

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
IF Ryan makes the team it will make no sense to me, he’s a good guy but raymond is clearly more electric and a play driver. As for veleno he has spent already two years in the AHL and SHL I just don’t see the point in him not being on the team. There’s just no need for guys like gagner or Ryan to be on the team, they are taking up space and younger players can do what they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad