Opening Game line up

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Call me cynical but aren't there 3 forwards on a line? So why are twosomes id'd as an important factoid? Wouldn't how threesomes performed be a better way to look at the effectiveness at guys playing together? I understand the combinations to be analyzed would grow geometrically but still I don't buy into this analysis as being worth a whole lot.

Interesting that as two's Cam-Dubi and Calvert-Dubi were in the top group but Cam-Calvert were neutral. Since the 3 played together quite a bit I find that a bit confusing.

:dunno:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Call me cynical but aren't there 3 forwards on a line? So why are twosomes id'd as an important factoid? Wouldn't how threesomes performed be a better way to look at the effectiveness at guys playing together? I understand the combinations to be analyzed would grow geometrically but still I don't buy into this analysis as being worth a whole lot.

Sure but when Hitchcock was coach he often talked about starting off with an effective pairing when building lines.

IHeartZherdev*

Also I think wennberg is on the team if and only if anisimov is traded... Maybe anisimov + 1st + 4th liner for a top 6 but I wanna see how cam does before we go after a top 6 bc cam is very good, underrated in my oppinion

Why can't Wennberg and Ansimov both be on the team, Vogeezy?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Interesting that as two's Cam-Dubi and Calvert-Dubi were in the top group but Cam-Calvert were neutral. Since the 3 played together quite a bit I find that a bit confusing.

:dunno:

1) In some cases the 2set result gives you the same information as the 3set. Taken individually, Horton and Jenner were not Johansen's best wingers, yet they played as a set of 3 for most of the second half, so you can assume that those results would hold as a set of 3.

2) You could program it to give you the 3set result but then you'd have sample size problems. How many sets of 3 have played more than 150 minutes together? Only the full lines we ran with for long stretches do that, so it limits our imagination to the combinations we've already done.

3) Coaches think in terms of pairings anyways, and slide around the thirds.

thebus2288*

As of now I'd go...

Calvert--Johansen--Foligno
Jenner--Dubinsky--Horton
Hartnell--Anisimov--Atkinson
Gibbons/Wennberg--Letestu/Gibbons/Wennberg--Boll/Gibbons--Hjalmarsson--Tropp

Lines 1-3 all have a good mix and are pretty much interchangeable. Each one has enough offensive skill and enough defensive responsibility that I'd be ok with them matching up against any line. I think the "top" line would be the most creative offensive line we could put together and I think this would be good for Johansen. Lines 2 and 3 are what they are. Speed on the wing(Jenner, Atkinson) to disrupt things a bit, stabilizing two way presence up the middle(Dubi, Anisimov) and a "slower" vet(Horton, Hartnell) that has proven offensive ability ready to prove that they still have it.

The 4th line is where I see things as the most interesting. One thing I want to say is that with our team and THIS lineup I see no reason for ANY line to be used as a "shut down" line. We've built a team FULL of guys up front that understand there's more to the game then scoring goals. This brings us to my next point I want to get across. I think Wennberg is good enough to make this team and the person who seems to compare to his playing style the most is Letestu. I really don't see how it would be bad for him to play around 10 min a night centering(or even playing wing) on a 4th line that were putting together, along with throwing him out there on the PP. And don't say **** about having him out there with Boll. He would help him just as much as hurt him. I actually see their games mesh very well with Gibbons. Cycle and crash the net.

Instead of getting rid of guys high in our lineup(Foligno/Anisimov/or even Dubi) to make room for the younger guys we should be looking at these 4th line guys. Like I said, we have other players(like Foligno, Anisimov and Dubi) that can handle the tough defensive matchups. Tropp should never have been resigned. Really what role do we have for Letestu now? He shouldn't be seeing any time on the PP anymore, and frankly I think his PK impact he brings is being quite overplayed. I think at center Gibbons can bring just as much as Letestu along with adding way more speed to the 4th line. I don't know how it will play out but if I had my way I'd go Gibbons-Wennberg-Boll/Hjalmarsson.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Why are people anti atkinson.. I see him on the fourth line on some of these, he is actually a really good player. I would love to see him with Johansen. I still Remeber Joey finding cam on a breakaway against Detroit for an amazing goal.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kp0Zd6EfLgA

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think he might make Joey-Foligno better.

That's interesting and I could see it. I'm open to pretty much anything.

That said, I am still stuck on Matty with Dubinsky and Hartnell. God would other teams hate that bunch.

Johansen with Foligno
Anisimov with Horton
Atkinson/Jenner with whichever of those pairs.

Fourth line depends on desired style of play, ability to play special teams, which of those guys earn jobs and probably contract status.

Letestu with
Tropp/Boll/Gibbons/D'Amigo/Hjalmarsson/Wennberg/Dano/Chaput

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That's interesting and I could see it. I'm open to pretty much anything.

That said, I am still stuck on Matty with Dubinsky and Hartnell. God would other teams hate that bunch.

Johansen with Foligno
Anisimov with Horton
Atkinson/Jenner with whichever of those pairs.

Fourth line depends on desired style of play, ability to play special teams, which of those guys earn jobs and probably contract status.

Letestu with
Tropp/Boll/Gibbons/D'Amigo/Hjalmarsson/Wennberg/Dano/Chaput

Enticing. I'd like to see that too.

jordanwill21

Jul 6, 2014
i think you are about spot on except for the 4th but there are many numerous combinations you could choose from

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Jenner-Johansen-Horton
Foligno-Anisimov-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubinsky-Hartnell (someone mentioned this last page, I love it)
Gibbons-Letestu-Boll
Hjalmarsson

Johnson-Tyutin
Murray-Wisniewski
Prout-Savard
Erixon/Goloubef

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad