Speculation: Opening Day Lineup

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I remember last year when sitter started with the sedins, presumably to pop in a couple points and prove he was a good pick up......... since they keep getting heat over shinkaruk I feel granlund is getting the same kinda shot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Any centre joined at the hip on the fourth line with Dorsett is in a world of trouble....it's the place where goals and assists go to die.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I mean it's just practice lines......... is there any confirmation that these will be the lines come opening night?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I mean it's just practice lines......... is there any confirmation that these will be the lines come opening night?

WD has stated that these lines are close to what they'll go in to the season with.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
WD has stated that these lines are close to what they'll go in to the season with.
I usually do my best not to turn assessments into ad-hominem personal swipes, but how do you not call him a moron when he does something like this?

There's no valid line of reasoning behind it. Even if he wants him to work on the defensive details in his game, Dorsett is the worst possible player to play him with in order to do that.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Any centre joined at the hip on the fourth line with Dorsett is in a world of trouble....it's the place where goals and assists go to die.

It's the ankle weight approach to development. Tie a boat anchor to Horvat's leg so in three years when Dorsett is gone he can fly like never before. Genius.

On a side note how gross is it that we still have Dorsett for thee more years.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
They've been prepping us for this move all preseason by saying that with Sutter back in the lineup it puts Horvat in a position to work on his defensive game.

Just today on 1040 Benning tried to say that defence is Horvat's strength and he got away from it because they needed scoring.

As if we are guaranteed to score more this year. It's likely but not a given.

Yeah our scouting is SO GOOD.

There is also a large element of "put Granlund in a position to succeed bcause we traded for him" in play here.

I'd love to be wrong about Granlund but after a good preseason he still has to show he can do the same in the regular season.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I remember last year when sitter started with the sedins, presumably to pop in a couple points and prove he was a good pick up......... since they keep getting heat over shinkaruk I feel granlund is getting the same kinda shot.

This is an example of how poorly executed trades have repercussions for other assets on the team.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
So much overreaction over lines that won't survive beyond first few games.

It's an attempt to light fire under Bo and a warning shot for less than stellar training camp. The player has history of slow starts. Objectively, Granlund showed more and deserves a looksie in a more offensive role.

Bo is not the number 2C on this team... yet, opinions of pundits notwithstanding. If his line gets frequently burned while only marginally outscoring Sutter the coach would have to be suicidal to use him in a front line roll as he did last year when injuries made the decision for him.

His long term upside won't suffer for having played a few games with a pair two way grinders, might even pick up a thing or two. He's a hard worker and will make do. If the talent disparity becomes too obvious no doubt he'll get moved up, though toe drags alone might not do it. :)

Young stars scoring at prolific pace for other teams shouldn't affect our business. Watch them get monster deals in three years but with inconclusive impact on their team's winning fortunes. I've had my fill of non championship hardware.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
So much overreaction over lines that won't survive beyond first few games.

Of course you're right, once these moronic line combinations fail utterly they'll switch back to something that makes sense. It's just so predictable and sad. The Canucks have to pair Horvat with trash and put him in a position to fail in order to "light a fire" under him and teach him a lesson. I have no idea why some people still consider this "coaching" and not "stupidity", but that's Willie D and the Vancouver Canucks.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Of course you're right, once these moronic line combinations fail utterly they'll switch back to something that makes sense. It's just so predictable and sad. The Canucks have to pair Horvat with trash and put him in a position to fail in order to "light a fire" under him and teach him a lesson. I have no idea why some people still consider this "coaching" and not "stupidity", but that's Willie D and the Vancouver Canucks.

If lighting fire is too strong just call it a wee bit of motivation. Might be also called tough love, perhaps unbecoming as treatment of a relatively successful early 1s rounder go, but it is what it is. 1C role post Hank is still there for the taking and he's a good bet as any.

If we're doing the preseason merit thing, Granlund and even Sutter, in the couple games he had, have shown more. Long term if Granlund brings some offense I'd find a place for him on the wing in the top 9, though I haven't paid enough attention to appreciate the nuances of him playing wing v centre.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well you should probably keep in mind that both Willie and management thinks Dorsett is a great player. He's often Willie's go to guy when the team needs an extra skater or a line shakeup, and Benning has said he's the guy he wants the young kids 'rubbing shoulders' with.

Also, as old and overused as it is I think this is a good spot for Hitler to weigh in on the topic :laugh:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I usually do my best not to turn assessments into ad-hominem personal swipes, but how do you not call him a moron when he does something like this?

There's no valid line of reasoning behind it. Even if he wants him to work on the defensive details in his game, Dorsett is the worst possible player to play him with in order to do that.

As I said before, he has saddled Horvat with one of the slowest forwards and the least talented forward. Both are strong candidates to be the 13th forward. How he thinks this is going to help Horvat or the team is beyond comprehension. And, like you, I work hard not to get drawn into the personal swipes but this makes me really question WD's judgement.
Maybe it will be a short-lived experiment.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Bo spends the summer working his ass off with the intention of being a key offensive contributor next season. WD's response - demote his ass to the 4th line to play with Derek ****ing Dorsett :laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, in the end this is what it comes down to.

I don't know if they're doing it consciously or not, but the pattern is just neverending on this front.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Even Iain MacIntyre is questioning the lineup. That's how bad it is.

[Tweet]786997426179551233[/MEDIA]

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They really seem to want Horvat to be a 30 point defensive centre instead of a 60 point top-6 centre. I just don't get it. It's like they are doing everything possible to drive me away from this team.

Maybe they legitimately think Granlund is Patrice Bergeron? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad