Post-Game Talk: Opening Day - Devils 5, Oilers 2 (@ Sweden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Just watching the game now and what a start. Palms early and then McDavid just flies up the ice to tie it. Also, did Coleman get faster in the offseason? He seemed to be flying on the PK.

I noticed that too. He was already incredibly fast but he looks even quicker now. I wonder if he hired one of those personal speed/power skating coaches in the offseason

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Somebody please tell me they have a gif of the guy in the red and green Devils jersey at the end of the game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh look, Travis Zajac winning a faceoff on the PP that leads to a goal. Get him off the PP!

And then he scores. What an offensive black hole.
I love snarky I told you so post. This was a good one ;)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They're not benching cs. Cs needs to play to 1, see if he can find his game without re-injuring himself, and 2, kk cant do a full season by himself, and lack, while improved, isnt that consistant. One of these goalies wont be here next season, while odds are its kk, if cs doesnt get his game back and kk steps up more then last season, maybe they trade cory (which is also another reason he cant be benched)
Kk will become a starter next yr unless he has a God awful season or gets injured.

I don't think they're benching Schneider, but I do think Kinkaid has emerged as a legit challenger.

Schneider is going to have to earn the #1 goalie role when he comes back unless Kinkaid really struggles. Kinkaid has been playing at a starting goaltender level since January of last year and he looked solid throughout pre-season.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
Do you think Mueller playing top line minutes is where he is needed or was it to appease the Swiss fans? Pleasant surprise that he played so well against McDavid and the Oil maybe this could be more of an option or at least top 4

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I could DEFINITELY see this. His hands and mind are starting to catch up with his speed. God I cant wait to look back in 2 years and brag on behalf of Shero
Brag on behalf of Shero for what? Serious question

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Do you think Mueller playing top line minutes is where he is needed or was it to appease the Swiss fans? Pleasant surprise that he played so well against McDavid and the Oil maybe this could be more of an option or at least top 4

Vatanen is clearly the match-up RD. Severson's defense coverage is way too spotty to handle that role and Lovejoy/Santini showed us they can't do that role without leaving their own zone.

So then it becomes who plays with him. Greene can do it in spades, but ideally he shouldn't play that role anymore. I honestly think Butcher could play it, but he would need to be paired with a bigger defender and/or one who can really skate. Vatanen is neither and those two together will likely have their weaknesses (skating and size) exposed against top players.

So Mueller ends up being the best option if he proves he can handle the responsibility. He's one of our best skating defenders, has the longest reach, and uses his body well. He brings all the attributes you'd want on a pairing with Vatanen, so hopefully he can handle the role.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
if this game didnt get you hyped for the season i dont know what will. they look good.

dea just wont to be able to hack it. i dont know why people are praising him.... he looked lost out there.

he looks like a stick figure compared to nhl players and coughed the puck up a few times. if this is our plug then we obviously can deal with it but if you are looking for the next gibbons its just not in the cards. shero is gonna give him a good look in the next few weeks so we will see. but i dont like him one bit.

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
Still can't belive I got to see the devils live here in my hometown. Everything I want to say about the game has already been said here.

Cheers to another year of f***ed up sleeping habits that won't end in january to all my fellow european devils fans :cheers:

Last year was not a fluke, this team is for real.. *boarding hype train*

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think they're benching Schneider, but I do think Kinkaid has emerged as a legit challenger.

Schneider is going to have to earn the #1 goalie role when he comes back unless Kinkaid really struggles. Kinkaid has been playing at a starting goaltender level since January of last year and he looked solid throughout pre-season.

Yeah let's be honest...Cory's gonna get some time because of his contract but if KK is still playing well and Cory's not and they're not like fifteen points up on a playoff spot it's going to get to a point where they're just gonna roll with him again.

They were in Sweden today.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
Vatanen is clearly the match-up RD. Severson's defense coverage is way too spotty to handle that role and Lovejoy/Santini showed us they can't do that role without leaving their own zone.

So then it becomes who plays with him. Greene can do it in spades, but ideally he shouldn't play that role anymore. I honestly think Butcher could play it, but he would need to be paired with a bigger defender and/or one who can really skate. Vatanen is neither and those two together will likely have their weaknesses (skating and size) exposed against top players.

So Mueller ends up being the best option if he proves he can handle the responsibility. He's one of our best skating defenders, has the longest reach, and uses his body well. He brings all the attributes you'd want on a pairing with Vatanen, so hopefully he can handle the role.

Hey Thanks!! That's awesome, good to see Mueller getting this opportunity. Appreciate the input versus a 1 word response.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think last year was a fluke, but I've been coming in with tempered expectations (Hall, youth, shooting %, blah blah).

Still, from what I've seen, Nico, Bratt, Wood and Butcher have accelerated the rebuild in a way I didn't expect. It's not based on being excited by the win, just excited by the way these kids are playing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The cap hit. Rich current valuation based on his body of work but cheap long term if he is the player that many, including myself, think he is. You get most of the prime of Wood for the salary of a third liner.
Oh for ripping him off. I see. That never works. You pay now or pay later... it usually works out in the end for a decent player. He'll only be 27 his next contract and with arbitration rights.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Oh for ripping him off. I see. That never works. You pay now or pay later... it usually works out in the end for a decent player. He'll only be 27 his next contract and with arbitration rights.

Maybe. Unless we get guys the big guys (Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Butcher) signed to hometown discounts, it's hard to win in this league without having guys on ELCs contributing beyond their cap hit.

Wood signed to 3 million is an absolute steal that lets you spend around him for the next couple years.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe. Unless we get guys the big guys (Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Butcher) signed to hometown discounts, it's hard to win in this league without having guys on ELCs contributing beyond their cap hit.

Wood signed to 3 million is an absolute steal that lets you spend around him for the next couple years.

I agree. And that's why I question why Shero burned an ELC on him.

But regardless all of that is the teams perspective not necessarily the players perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad