OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 season - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
A lot of this has nothing to do with the original comment of giving Toffoli away, so we can ignore a lot of this. Sharangovich has nothing to do with Fitz giving Toffoli away for almost nothing as you put it.

I also highly doubt that Fitz' intention on the Rango deal was that he was going to acquire Toffoli to flip him at the deadline. More likely that they were going to treat him as a self rental. I think the intention was to add a 30 goal, 70 point guy to one of the best offenses in the league last year and have him help the team reach the playoffs and maybe win some rounds. If this team had actually been good this year, Toffoli is still a devil most likely.

But they sucked, both with Toffoli and without him. So they took the best deal that they could get at the deadline.
Why should I give Fitz credit for a trade, that any GM could have made at the trading deadline? He got the bare minimum for Toffoli, not more. And the fact remains: It was a horrendous deal in the first place to trade Rango and a pick for a guy, who does not fit our timeline and was just a rental for a year.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Why should I give Fitz credit for a trade, that any GM could have made at the trading deadline? He got the bare minimum for Toffoli, not more. And the fact remains: It was a horrendous deal in the first place to trade Rango and a pick for a guy, who does not fit our timeline and was just a rental for a year.
Toffoli did fit our timeline of the team didn’t implode. And he’s a better player than Rango. And Fitz upgraded a pick out of it to boot.

Horrendous deal lmao

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Caps can overtake the Flyers for 3rd. Yeah it makes it super embarrassing for our Devils to miss the playoffs. Even with sorry ass .885 goaltending. The power play shitting the bed has been costly.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s easy to say that in hindsight. Unless you said that at the time of the original Shara trade it’s just meh.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Toffoli did fit our timeline of the team didn’t implode. And he’s a better player than Rango. And Fitz upgraded a pick out of it to boot.

Horrendous deal lmao
He may be a – marginally – better player now. But will he be a better player in 2, 3, 4, 5 oder 6 years?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s easy to say that in hindsight. Unless you said that at the time of the original Shara trade it’s just meh.

I said it was meh at the time because Toffoli was going to be 32 year old UFA. What do I win?

Nothing BTW. The answer is absolutely nothing.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I said it was meh at the time because Toffoli was going to be 32 year old UFA. What do I win?

Nothing BTW. The answer is absolutely nothing.
It's just not impressive to me if you show up after something goes wrong to say you knew that would happen if you didn't offer that opinion before hand. To be fair, Toffoli himself was more than meh given the team's offensive struggles. He just didn't have a long term future with the club but if they were headed for the playoffs nobody would be complaining.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's just not impressive to me if you show up after something goes wrong to say you knew that would happen if you didn't offer that opinion before hand. To be fair, Toffoli himself was more than meh given the team's offensive struggles. He just didn't have a long term future with the club but if they were headed for the playoffs nobody would be complaining.

I care about asset management and the Toffoli contract was always going to be a problem.

If the team did much better, if Toffoli potted 40 goals with a healthy Jack, then re-signing him would have been even more difficult and expensive.

It’s not the end of the world to spend assets on a rental, but I didn’t see us as a true contender this year, so I wasn’t excited about having Toffoli for year and then seeing him walk either.

It seemed like an attempt to repeat the Haula/Zacha trade but that was different.

Zacha had one foot out the door and was only going to sign a 1 year deal. Haula addressed a bigger need at a harder possession to fill, center, and he was eager to stay for a lot reasons.

I know why Fitz did the Toffoli trade, I understood the logic of it, but I definitely had mixed feelings from the start.

The best trades are for RFAs, or a player with term at least.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Which basically means we can never again criticise anything anymore unless it is right at the moment something happens. Very strange.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
bullshit. you’re really discounting the value of a well-placed, smug “i told you so”

Yeah, thank god the worst case scenario of him signing a surprisingly team friendly deal after a nice playoff run didn’t happen.

Nothing worse than being wrong about my random blather on the board.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I care about asset management and the Toffoli contract was always going to be a problem.

If the team did much better, if Toffoli potted 40 goals with a healthy Jack, then re-signing him would have been even more difficult and expensive.

It’s not the end of the world to spend assets on a rental, but I didn’t see us as a true contender this year, so I wasn’t excited about having Toffoli for year and then seeing him walk either.

It seemed like an attempt to repeat the Haula/Zacha trade but that was different.

Zacha had one foot out the door and was only going to sign a 1 year deal. Haula addressed a bigger need at a harder possession to fill, center, and he was eager to stay for a lot reasons.

I know why Fitz did the Toffoli trade, I understood the logic of it, but I definitely had mixed feelings from the start.

The best trades are for RFAs, or a player with term at least.
i liked the toffoli trade at the time but mostly because i had high expectations looking at his season last year. i didn’t realize quite how slow he was and i thought he would be more physical.

the success of the trade was always predicated on us making the playoffs and going on a run this year. for all the talk of having him here long term, it was always a long shot because he wants term and we weren’t willing to give it to him.

as far as sharangovich, i always liked him and i wanted us to keep him but figured it was fair value for a player of toffoli’s pedigree. i would not make the trade again. i don’t look at him being a healthy scratch in the playoffs as a reason to give up on him, he had a down year but his skill was obvious and he was a useful player, as he’s showing now

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023
The Devils came into the season as a cup contender. The Toffoli trade was viewed as an off-season win for Fitz, for a contending team. Not for a lottery team. No complaints about this trade. As far as the devils getting a first rounder for Toffoli, the trade market wasn't there for wingers. Fitz did the next best thing, getting a second and a third.
They may never use these picks, mostly likely will be used as trade assets. Perhaps for a goalie? Or a top 4 defenseman. Plus, they kept their first round draft pick from the Sharks. This has value as a lottery pick.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
No, but folks who post about it acting as if they were prescient don't impress me. Criticize whatever you want I don't make the rules.
Do you know who posted this in the Sharangovich/Toffoli trade thread?

"There is virtually no universe where I'm extending Toffoli. Palat has already taken the spot for aging overpaid veteran. As you've noted, another high salary slot needs to be taken up by Mercer and the cap is only going up by so much next season. Even at a $4 mil increase of cap there isn't really room for anyone else pricey absent restructuring the roster a bit more."

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Sponsor
Do you know who posted this in the Sharangovich/Toffoli trade thread?

"There is virtually no universe where I'm extending Toffoli. Palat has already taken the spot for aging overpaid veteran. As you've noted, another high salary slot needs to be taken up by Mercer and the cap is only going up by so much next season. Even at a $4 mil increase of cap there isn't really room for anyone else pricey absent restructuring the roster a bit more."
That's me but so what? I'm just saying I wouldn't extend Toffoli. Where does that have to do with complaining now? I'm fully on board with Toffoli getting traded. We went off the rails here somewhere. What you are posting now has nothing to do with what I was saying. Nor is what I was saying necessarily directed at you. Post hoc prophets are just a pet peeve of mine. I'm a lawyer that often defends against ambulance chasers and they are routinely arguing that the defendant should have known about whatever the thing was that injured plaintiff even though the plaintiff might have encountered it before and never said anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad