OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 season - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
At this point I hope Washington gets WC2 or 3rd in the Met. Never thought I'd say that until now. They seem to have the jam and the level of wanting it more. Yeah they aren't thst good but, they deserve more than these other pretenders. NJ needs to go 10-2-2 to make 90 points. See ya for the lottery draw!

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it is nice that this already solid core is going to get another potentially star piece, and all in all that's better than an early round elimination, but it still wouldn't be a satisfying consolation for this season that the other high draft picks all were.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
We would have had a better chance to make the playoffs. Isn't that why they even play in this league?

I'll take the picks as opposed to having an 14% chance of the playoffs over a 12% chance and letting him walk for nothing. The playoffs were an extreme long shot with our without him.

If nobody sold until they were eliminated from the playoffs, trade deadline would be an awfully boring affair.

This team sucks with or without toffoli

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I'll take the picks as opposed to having an 14% chance of the playoffs over a 12% chance and letting him walk for nothing. The playoffs were an extreme long shot with our without him.

If nobody sold until they were eliminated from the playoffs, trade deadline would be an awfully boring affair.

This team sucks with or without toffoli
The whole Toffoli deal sucked, from the first minute. It was obvious he wouldn't resign here from day one, because of his age and the teams timeline. Everybody here seems to think giving up Sharangovich and a 3rd for a guy that played 3/4 of one season for us means nothing. I disagree. The guy does great in Calgary, he is 25 years old and fits our timeline perfectly. Also, I think he was well liked, kills penalties, plays fast and is worth quite a bit more than this 2nd rounder we now got for Toffoli from Winnipeg. The two 3rds cancel each other out. All in all, it was another really bad deal from Fitz, another one that destroyed what we started to have last season. Fitz obviously thought he could turn Toffoli into a first at the deadline, when he made the initial Rango/Toffoli deal. Surprise surprise he couldn't. The pick is a late one as well. What a shitty deal.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The whole Toffoli deal sucked, from the first minute. It was obvious he wouldn't resign here from day one, because of his age and the teams timeline. Everybody here seems to think giving up Sharangovich and a 3rd for a guy that played 3/4 of one season for us means nothing. I disagree. The guy does great in Calgary, he is 25 years old and fits our timeline perfectly. Also, I think he was well liked, kills penalties, plays fast and is worth quite a bit more than this 2nd rounder we now got for Toffoli from Winnipeg. The two 3rds cancel each other out. All in all, it was another really bad deal from Fitz, another one that destroyed what we started to have last season. Fitz obviously thought he could turn Toffoli into a first at the deadline, when he made the initial Rango/Toffoli deal. Surprise surprise he couldn't. The pick is a late one as well. What a shitty deal.
This is all true but I'd be lying to you if I told you that I wasn't excited for the possibility of adding another 30 goal scorer at the time of the trade...

In hindsight it's a lot easier to see the problems...

before the season started we all were thinking about having Nico, Jack, Jesper, Timo and Toffoli scoring 30+ and covering up for the young defenders by out scoring everyone...

At least that's the possibility I saw before the season started and in preseason when we scored at will...

It didn't work out that way but I'm not sure anyone saw what we are seeing right now turning out this way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Call Me Al

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
A lot of this has nothing to do with the original comment of giving Toffoli away, so we can ignore a lot of this. Sharangovich has nothing to do with Fitz giving Toffoli away for almost nothing as you put it.

I also highly doubt that Fitz' intention on the Rango deal was that he was going to acquire Toffoli to flip him at the deadline. More likely that they were going to treat him as a self rental. I think the intention was to add a 30 goal, 70 point guy to one of the best offenses in the league last year and have him help the team reach the playoffs and maybe win some rounds. If this team had actually been good this year, Toffoli is still a devil most likely.

But they sucked, both with Toffoli and without him. So they took the best deal that they could get at the deadline.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At this point I hope Washington gets WC2 or 3rd in the Met. Never thought I'd say that until now. They seem to have the jam and the level of wanting it more. Yeah they aren't thst good but, they deserve more than these other pretenders. NJ needs to go 10-2-2 to make 90 points. See ya for the lottery draw!
Ohhhh Hellll nawwww.

Please god no.

Washington making the playoffs would instantly make a first round series between them and Florida (or any first seed) be completely unwatchable, likely by the 2nd period of game 1.

Yeah, the other teams suck, but Washington sucks and they're a chore to watch because of how slow and devoid of skill they are.

I'd honestly rather watch Detroit (as much as I'd love to watch them go down the toilet even before the playoffs) or even the Islanders, though the Islanders aren't a huge upgrade in entertainment value over them either.

Washington being one of the final 16 teams standing in late April is a really bad thing for the NHL from an entertainment standpoint.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I tend to agree with you but you never know....first round upsets seem more of a tradition in the NHL than a rarity.

I think the Islanders would be the worst matchup for any of these teams based on them having Sorokin but he's been mid this year. Very eerie of what happened to Schneider here, the rest of the teams at the bubble don't have the goaltending to deal with those teams.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I tend to agree with you but you never know....first round upsets seem more of a tradition in the NHL than a rarity.
I feel like most low seed first round upsets are a variation of:

A.) Otherwise good team has a hellish season injury wise that knocks them down the standings, but are better than their seed. For example Florida last year who were the last in but the season before won the Presidents Trophy and could win it again this year.

B.) Team that has poor first half, but makes a transformation move midseason that elevates them as being better than their seed. Think LA in 2012 who made both the coaching change to Sutter and made the move for Jeff Carter at the deadline.

Neither fits any of the East teams this year except for maybe the Islanders and the coaching change. But that move takes them from non-playoff team to 8 seed. Flyers, Caps, Devils, Penguins all sold off guys. Islanders and Wings stood pat (I don’t consider Kane in Detroit a transformational move at this point).

That could have been the Devils if Fitz was more proactive. But by the time the goalie move were made the bottom half of our forward group fell out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I feel like most low seed first round upsets are a variation of:

A.) Otherwise good team has a hellish season injury wise that knocks them down the standings, but are better than their seed. For example Florida last year who were the last in but the season before won the Presidents Trophy and could win it again this year.

B.) Team that has poor first half, but makes a transformation move midseason that elevates them as being better than their seed. Think LA in 2012 who made both the coaching change to Sutter and made the move for Jeff Carter at the deadline.

Neither fits any of the East teams this year except for maybe the Islanders and the coaching change. But that move takes them from non-playoff team to 8 seed. Flyers, Caps, Devils, Penguins all sold off guys. Islanders and Wings stood pat (I don’t consider Kane in Detroit a transformational move at this point).

That could have been the Devils if Fitz was more proactive. But by the time the goalie move were made the bottom half of our forward group fell out.
Perhaps? I've never really thought about it or looked into it all that closely. But it seems to happen every year to some extent.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

IMG_4597.jpeg

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it was TG who recently posted that of Washington's 25 regulation losses, 20 of them have been by 3 or more goals. Such a weird team.

I'd laugh my ass off if they ended up playing the Rangers and knocked them out of the first round with Wilson doing something dastardly while Rempe's ass is in the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad