GDT: oops now team is bad again and we must play hellteam to continue the streak

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think what we may have learned last night is that Chatfield is the loose cannon on a successful pairing. I know we're saying get a PMD to play with him. Maybe it's a matter of getting a more competent stay-at-home guy than De Haan.
Been hearing Edmundson could be available.... I wouldn't hate it

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You are the numbers guy, and I don’t want to give you homework - but I believe 5/44’s last minus game before *I think Nashville* was *i think* in November. That’s really really good … and the purpose of hockey. To try not to get scored on, and to score.

Obviously there’s not a lot of offense coming from that pair - I totally get that, and it’s something that could improve with a trade for a more potent puck-moving guy to play either side. But man … I see the criticisms of both guys (I’m even starting to like and defend Chatfield) and I don’t get it at all. Last year Smith/Cole were fine - they also took a metric shit-ton of penalties it seemed (again, I expect a teacher-like dressing down from you after this).

I agree with what the pairing looked like last night - chaos. I’m sure some of it could be attributed to unfamiliarity with each other, but it looked downright awful.

I’d be really curious to see what would happen if Skjei or Slavin went down for a bit and they needed CDH in the second pair. I believe this season is the first he hasn’t played top-4 minutes since … the islanders? Granted last year he was in Chicago, but I believe his “numbers” as a defender were still pretty decent.

As a whole I think Chatfield is here to stay (they love him) … and I don’t mind at all. His speed makes up for so much. And, he’s getting progressively better at reads and coverage. Except last night 😀

I think that 3rd pair did fine during that stretch we were on the win streak. That's when I said they were growing on me. I attribute a lot of that to CDH being a stabilizing presence to Chatfield's "chaos" and to Chatfield improving with more playing time.

I'm surprised that CDH has been out of the line-up two games TBH, and very surprised Gleason or Brindy kept that pair on the ice after the goal. If Coghlan is in the line-up again, I'll be even more perplexed.

Reactions: ndp

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Been hearing Edmundson could be available.... I wouldn't hate it
Hasn’t his skating taken a bit of a nosedive? He wasn’t exactly getting up and down the ice his last stint with the Hurricanes. I think if that NJ game showed anything last night the Hurricanes need to get quicker. And maybe try and bring in a healthy goalie?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
To me the main issue with Chatfield and CDH is they both like to jump in on offense like they’re the next coming of Bobby freaking Orr and by and large they both suck at it.

Now I know that’s what the Hurricanes defense is coached to do but maybe they would be better served by having a little more of a stay at home and defend the blue line attitude when in the offensive zone.

Again, I don’t know if the numbers would support this. But it seems like it’s hard for Aho to get going in the ozone when he’s spending half the time covering the point because CDH decided to pinch down and carry the puck behind the net where he spends the next 20 seconds trying to find a passing lane back out to the point where he should have left his ass be.
i dont think rod and co want the system to change for any line or D pair. we want the defenders to help with the offense. play as much as position-less as possible

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
those guys are also much older and not still figuring out how to play. Its only reasonable to expect a young player in his 2nd season to have some inconsistencies. inconsistencies =/= awful though. Especially when his 200 foot game has been very good.
While it’s reasonable to expect some growing pains from a sophomore player. I still don’t understand why he get the benefit of being stapled to the teams best offensive player?

The kid has one assist in his last 5 games, he’s not a first line talent yet. But he gets the most minutes beside the teams first line center? If that were Necas two seasons ago he would have been demoted to the 4th line in a heartbeat. Or look at TT this season.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I think that 3rd pair did fine during that stretch we were on the win streak. That's when I said they were growing on me. I attribute a lot of that to CDH being a stabilizing presence to Chatfield's "chaos" and to Chatfield improving with more playing time.

I'm surprised that CDH has been out of the line-up two games TBH, and very surprised Gleason or Brindy kept that pair on the ice after the goal. If Coghlan is in the line-up again, I'll be even more perplexed.
Yeah I can't wrap my head around putting those two back out after they got walked on the previous goal. Especially with their being less than a minute left in the period. Middle of the period and you don't want to tax your other pairs ok it makes more sense. You're about to go into an 18min break, put out your top 4 and get out of the period with the lead.

Reactions: geehaad

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
You are the numbers guy, and I don’t want to give you homework - but I believe 5/44’s last minus game before *I think Nashville* was *i think* in November. That’s really really good … and the purpose of hockey. To try not to get scored on, and to score.

Obviously there’s not a lot of offense coming from that pair - I totally get that, and it’s something that could improve with a trade for a more potent puck-moving guy to play either side. But man … I see the criticisms of both guys (I’m even starting to like and defend Chatfield) and I don’t get it at all. Last year Smith/Cole were fine - they also took a metric shit-ton of penalties it seemed (again, I expect a teacher-like dressing down from you after this).

I agree with what the pairing looked like last night - chaos. I’m sure some of it could be attributed to unfamiliarity with each other, but it looked downright awful.

I’d be really curious to see what would happen if Skjei or Slavin went down for a bit and they needed CDH in the second pair. I believe this season is the first he hasn’t played top-4 minutes since … the islanders? Granted last year he was in Chicago, but I believe his “numbers” as a defender were still pretty decent.

As a whole I think Chatfield is here to stay (they love him) … and I don’t mind at all. His speed makes up for so much. And, he’s getting progressively better at reads and coverage. Except last night 😀
Didn't Chat play with Peesh when Brady sat out a game? Seem to recall he played decently then.

Reactions: MinJaBen

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
While it’s reasonable to expect some growing pains from a sophomore player. I still don’t understand why he get the benefit of being stapled to the teams best offensive player?

The kid has one assist in his last 5 games, he’s not a first line talent yet. But he gets the most minutes beside the teams first line center? If that were Necas two seasons ago he would have been demoted to the 4th line in a heartbeat. Or look at TT this season.
I really want to see Turbo back on the RW with Aho and Pacioretty.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I really want to see Turbo back on the RW with Aho and Pacioretty.
It’s honestly baffling to me. For as bad as Turbo has been to start this season he’s still a slightly higher PPG than Jarvis, and that’s with him playing like ass.

I don’t know how you watch tape of that highlight reel short handed goal from last night and come to the conclusion that those two should be separated. But it seems like Roddy really likes Jarvis, and Jarvis probably lifts more weight than Turbo in the gym or something so he’ll keep getting those minutes beside Aho.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

a few things to unpack here:

first the thought he as played awful is what got me. its a poor choice of word. Substandard for a first liner, i can accept that. Coghlan who is on the ice a lot and his individual choice leads to a GA is awful. how many times has Jarvis done that? not many. Jarvis is a lot like Turbo, he doesnt get enough credit for his play away from the puck.

which brings me to another point of yours. Yes Necas would have received a different treatment scoring .5 ppg playing on the top line. Its because Necas isnt near as strong still as Jarvis is defensively and especially wasnt the last 2 years. Aho and Jarvis together: 15GF and 11 GA (57%). Aho without Jarvis 9 for and 9 against and Aho without Jarvis has an O zone FO% 10+ percentage points higher.

Jarvis has played 56% of his 5v5 time with Aho. So he isnt exactly stapled to Aho. Jarvis spent majority of the time away from Aho with KK. He has played just a little with Staal and Stastny.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Love Jarvy but he’s clearly in RBA’s favorites clique as those continuous OT assignments showed.

I hope TT isn’t in end of the road mode with us. Every season it feels like we have one or two who have read the tea leaves and know their fate which leads to ho hum performances at times.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Love Jarvy but he’s clearly in RBA’s favorites clique as those continuous OT assignments showed.

I hope TT isn’t in end of the road mode with us. Every season it feels like we have one or two who have read the tea leaves and know their fate which leads to ho hum performances at times.
I do believe this is “a thing” with the Canes.

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Teravainen is nearing 30. While not the archetypal player type of an early decline, they can happen. Voracek's goal scoring fell off at a similar point, as an example.
Yeah. Of all the UFAs we have to re-sign after next season, I'm most wary of Teravainen and Skjei. They will both be 30 at the start of their first year of the contract, and both of whom may be seeking a 6 or 7 year deal.

On the one hand, I'm like "Teuvo will fall off a cliff because he hardly conditions himself." On the other hand, I think "Teuvo doesn't rely on a physical game so his game will age gracefully as a skill and position player."

It's the opposite with Skjei. He clearly is well conditioned, but he plays an extremely fast and high energy skating game. When Skjei isn't able to close gaps and use his agility to move the puck forward in a rush, he will no longer be a top 4 defender. How long can he keep that physicality into his 30s?

Another option as well is we could probably re-sign Skjei for 6 years and then McDonagh him to Nashville on the cheap at age 34.

Reactions: Daeavorn

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It’s honestly baffling to me. For as bad as Turbo has been to start this season he’s still a slightly higher PPG than Jarvis, and that’s with him playing like ass.

I don’t know how you watch tape of that highlight reel short handed goal from last night and come to the conclusion that those two should be separated. But it seems like Roddy really likes Jarvis, and Jarvis probably lifts more weight than Turbo in the gym or something so he’ll keep getting those minutes beside Aho.
Also I think Jarvis has shown good chemistry with Koko, having them on a line together even if it's the 4th line and lesser minutes I think would be a good thing.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Chatfield has been fine. Coughlin is terrible. Put fine and terrible together against a good team and you’re going to have a bad time.
Chat has been fine most of the season, last night he was terrible. Put terrible, terrible AND terrible (koochie) together and you're going to have a worse time.

Reactions: Canes445

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think Coghlan definitely goes down once there is a bottom pairing acquisition, if only to make the cap fit.

I'd prefer to see him go down now and bring back Lajoie. At least he's a LD that can spell de Haan and we can see if Lajoie has some chemistry with Chatfield.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't recall noticing Lajoie at all in his brief time up with the Canes. While that may at first sound like a negative, until we can acquire a 3rd pair LD upgrade, wouldn't that be preferable to what we're experiencing right now? (for the moment, let's ignore that he's gotten about 8 minutes of ice time in his 3 games up this season, lol)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad