GDT: oops now team is bad again and we must play hellteam to continue the streak

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I'm listening to Adam Gold just ripping the defense in the post game and...

Man I don't get it. We supporess the hell out of opposing shots. There's a couple breakdowns but damn, he's really smoking crack if he's absolving the goalies of blame here

Coghlan was worse than bad last night. I believe the goal that squeaked through Koochie was knocked in by Coghlan. Next one, he drops to the ice on the boards and their guy waltzes right in. Next one, he lost his man and they scored the same kind of goal. He was brutal. I don't blame Koochie as much as I blame Coghlan.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Coghlan was worse than bad last night. I believe the goal that squeaked through Koochie was knocked in by Coghlan. Next one, he drops to the ice on the boards and their guy waltzes right in. Next one, he lost his man and they scored the same kind of goal. He was brutal. I don't blame Koochie as much as I blame Coghlan.
He single-handedly makes Bear look like an All-Star by comparison. Waive him and send him to the AHL, if someone claims him good-riddance.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Maybe January is meant their month to experiment with change either due to injuries or circumstances as the December wins provided a small cushion. Lines have been shuffled, pairings changed, PP switches, etc. It looks like a puzzle that they’re trying to solve. Surprising, given how much RBA like to stick to something when winning.

Considering youth, egos and general human reactions to change, I am not shocked this reshuffling of the deck has brought about some off performances. The adjustment period to changes in the line up and for some, the professional uncertainty of someone getting your spot or minutes is not unheard of. How Pacioretty was going to be inserted was a topic here for a while. Good problem to have but still something to address.

Externally, the marketing and communications are so over the top about any new players and accolades. Player X scores a great goal but what do you think about Max is the topic of the interview. How’s he going to bring about league domination when they were already sitting at the top of the division, for example. They drive it into the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndp and Tryamw

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He single-handedly makes Bear look like an All-Star by comparison. Waive him and send him to the AHL, if someone claims him good-riddance.
I think Coghlan definitely goes down once there is a bottom pairing acquisition, if only to make the cap fit.

I'd prefer to see him go down now and bring back Lajoie. At least he's a LD that can spell de Haan and we can see if Lajoie has some chemistry with Chatfield.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm hoping that he's the kind of player who just needs to play through some hiccups to get settled in, but yeah.... He's not very good right now. Chatfield was pretty brutal at the start of this season, but he's been much better in recent games to the point where I think he's been a bit of a steadying role on that line, covering for how slow CDH has been.... But yeah, Coghlan can't play again if he's this bad. He can't.

As for Kooch, he can't be healthy right now. He's too slow and deliberate with his movement that was quick and twitchy earlier in the year that you can tell he's playing through pain. We can't keep putting him out there if its going to put the team in harm. Shut him down, and if Raanta is too hurt to play as well, then we need to make an emergency trade to bring in a goalie.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I agree re: Koochie and an injury. There were a few times he looked liked Rants “slow to get up” when trying to stand and move about and appeared to be wincing.
There were a couple times last night where the opposing players went to just curl the puck around him and he couldn't react. Earlier in the year those were plays where he's flop to his back and would cover the net, but last night even the times where he did try to do it, he almost had to brace himself on the way down, which made his reaction a second slow. If your goalie is that hurt, you can't play him. If we're only playing him because we don't have anyone else, then its a failure on the training staff and front office to have 3 injured goalies right now, knowing the 2 that aren't rookies have a well documented past of being unable to stay healthy.

This is Waddell's mess to fix. If we don't have a healthy goalie and what we've seen the last few games is going to be our norm in net the rest of the way, our front office has no choice but to make a trade. Our goalies could easily play us out of a playoff spot with the way the Metro is looking this year, even with the current gap we have.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well that was an interesting game. First, it seemed like the ice was total dogshit. Both teams looked slow, missed passes, and whiffed on a bunch of shots.

Devils hit two posts on mostly wide open nets after being left alone in front.

Obviously it was a tough game for Kochetkov. The first goal can’t happen. The second goal, I *think* both Chatfield AND Couglan shot the puck on goal. By mistake no doubt but still.

I’m still flabbergasted that RBA (or Gleason) left the 3rd pair out after that goal. They never play together, one’s on his off-side, they just played a part in letting one guy outwork three Canes for a goal … and they stay out? Baaaaaaaad.

I still don’t get why CDH is out for last 2 games. I fully admit my bias - but - it’s patently obvious he knows how to play the game, and has pretty damn good chemistry with Chatfield.

Couglan had a rough night. I have no idea what’s going on if he sees the ice the next game.

My concern with the 3rd pairing early in the season was that Chatfield always seemed unpredictable and on the edge of chaos and could CDH still be serviceable. As the season progressed, they seemed to improve, but I think it may have been that CDH, while not great, was a calming presence on that line. Take him away and Chatfield looks chaotic again next to Coghlan, who isn't NHL caliber, at least in the system Carolina plays.

Ideally, Chatfield and CDH should be #6/7 defensemen. They get the easiest matchups and Chatfield and Coghlan (small sample sizes) give up the most high danger chances and have the worst xGA/60. Last year, Cole and Smith did well in that same role.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Has anyone mentioned how non-impactful and downright awful Jarvis has been?
i mean a 20 almost 21 year old on a .5 ppg pace that has been bounced all over the lineup. What is the issue? He has been far from awful. He plays an excellent 200 foot game. His shot has been off this season but his goals per 60 hasnt taken a big fall compared to last year. He has 109 games in the league.

Jarvis is a key to us winning the game. In our 25 wins, he has 16 points. He has no points in our losses.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I agree re: Koochie and an injury. There were a few times he looked liked Rants “slow to get up” when trying to stand and move about and appeared to be wincing.

I didn't notice that as much and chalked it up to body language based on his performance. That being said I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he opted to play through something seemingly minor, and we're in a bit of a bind in goal. He certainly isn't getting properly setup like he did during that hot streak and maybe he just can't. If that is the case, we're in what they call a pickle.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
There were a couple times last night where the opposing players went to just curl the puck around him and he couldn't react. Earlier in the year those were plays where he's flop to his back and would cover the net, but last night even the times where he did try to do it, he almost had to brace himself on the way down, which made his reaction a second slow. If your goalie is that hurt, you can't play him. If we're only playing him because we don't have anyone else, then its a failure on the training staff and front office to have 3 injured goalies right now, knowing the 2 that aren't rookies have a well documented past of being unable to stay healthy.

This is Waddell's mess to fix. If we don't have a healthy goalie and what we've seen the last few games is going to be our norm in net the rest of the way, our front office has no choice but to make a trade. Our goalies could easily play us out of a playoff spot with the way the Metro is looking this year, even with the current gap we have.
"our front office has no choice but to make a trade. "

agreed, but the entire league knows the Canes are hurting.

Thus, the other GM's will hold them up for more value then deserved (and perhaps payback for Canes fleecing everyone else)

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
My concern with the 3rd pairing early in the season was that Chatfield always seemed unpredictable and on the edge of chaos and could CDH still be serviceable. As the season progressed, they seemed to improve, but I think it may have been that CDH, while not great, was a calming presence on that line. Take him away and Chatfield looks chaotic again next to Coghlan, who isn't NHL caliber, at least in the system Carolina plays.

Ideally, Chatfield and CDH should be #6/7 defensemen. They get the easiest matchups and Chatfield and Coghlan (small sample sizes) give up the most high danger chances and have the worst xGA/60. Last year, Cole and Smith did well in that same role.
"Last year, Cole and Smith did well in that same role."

In retrospect, re-signing Smith and pairing him with Chatfield may have been the better option versus giving Bear & Coghlan $$$$. Smith also brings some needed Grit to the top 6.

FWIW: I thought Chatfield paired with Slavin was damn good on the PK.....that's a lot of speed on the back line that helped keep Jersey at bay. Chatfield-Coghland....well, they had their issues but CDH in the games before was also weak. We need another dman now and if it isn't in Chicago then go buy one.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
"Last year, Cole and Smith did well in that same role."

In retrospect, re-signing Smith and pairing him with Chatfield may have been the better option versus giving Bear & Coghlan $$$$. Smith also brings some needed Grit to the top 6.

FWIW: I thought Chatfield paired with Slavin was damn good on the PK.....that's a lot of speed on the back line that helped keep Jersey at bay. Chatfield-Coghland....well, they had their issues but CDH in the games before was also weak. We need another dman now and if it isn't in Chicago then go buy one.
we werent giving Smith a long term deal which he coveted. Had the Bear trade in the off-season not fallen through (part of the Tkachuk deal maybe, idk) then we could have put our money elsewhere.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
i mean a 20 almost 21 year old on a .5 ppg pace that has been bounced all over the lineup. What is the issue? He has been far from awful. He plays an excellent 200 foot game. His shot has been off this season but his goals per 60 hasnt taken a big fall compared to last year. He has 109 games in the league.

Jarvis is a key to us winning the game. In our 25 wins, he has 16 points. He has no points in our losses.

Jarvis has performed as well as Stephen Noesen and Jordan Martinook while playing with much more talented offensive players.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It was fun watching MaxPac play a physical game.

It was not fun to watch the 3rd pair and Koochie.
Max is way more physical of a player than I was expecting. If he keeps it up, he will lead by example and others will show that same side as well. Assuming it isn't coached out of his game, that is.

After a night of terrible sleep (sick kids) I don't worry too much about Kooch long term. He's clearly hurt and laboring out there. You can't expect a goalie who can't move freely to be overly effective. As for the bad goal he gave up by not hugging the post, that's one of those kind of goals you give up once and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I like what I've seen out of Chatfield, I hate what I've seen out of Coghlan. CDH is serviceable but you can't play him every game or he's going to break down. He'd be a great 7th defenseman for us.

I am most worried about our situation in net. As good as things seem right now, we're only 5 points clear of being 4th in the Metro right now, so if we don't get these issues fixed, and fixed soon, our season outlook begins to look real shaky in a hurry.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Jarvis has performed as well as Stephen Noesen and Jordan Martinook while playing with much more talented offensive players.
those guys are also much older and not still figuring out how to play. Its only reasonable to expect a young player in his 2nd season to have some inconsistencies. inconsistencies =/= awful though. Especially when his 200 foot game has been very good.

Reactions: Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think we form a picket with signs outside of Andersen's house.

A few ideas...

100 Percent?
Questionable Intent!

Won't Play?
Then Go Away!

Why the Delay?
You Betray!

While you Sit
We deal with Shit!

Probably Drunk
We'll Debunk!

Hurt Knee?
Har-dly!

Reactions: Stickpucker

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
To me, the 3rd pair needs a puck-mover. Someone who can get the puck out of the zone before they get hemmed in, because once that happens, it’s going to be an adventure anyway.

I would like to see them finally bring in Klingberg as a rental, pair him with de Haan for 15mins a night and give him the reins to one of the PP units. Let Chatfield be the 7th D he’s meant to be.

I’ve been calling for some goalie depth for a while. Kochetkov is coming back to earth and there’s very little chance both Raanta/ Andersen are 100% in April.

Up front, I don’t think much of anything is needed outside of some more thoughtful line combinations. I don’t think they’ll go nuclear up front with the obvious bigger needs on the blueline or potentially in goal.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

You are the numbers guy, and I don’t want to give you homework - but I believe 5/44’s last minus game before *I think Nashville* was *i think* in November. That’s really really good … and the purpose of hockey. To try not to get scored on, and to score.

Obviously there’s not a lot of offense coming from that pair - I totally get that, and it’s something that could improve with a trade for a more potent puck-moving guy to play either side. But man … I see the criticisms of both guys (I’m even starting to like and defend Chatfield) and I don’t get it at all. Last year Smith/Cole were fine - they also took a metric shit-ton of penalties it seemed (again, I expect a teacher-like dressing down from you after this).

I agree with what the pairing looked like last night - chaos. I’m sure some of it could be attributed to unfamiliarity with each other, but it looked downright awful.

I’d be really curious to see what would happen if Skjei or Slavin went down for a bit and they needed CDH in the second pair. I believe this season is the first he hasn’t played top-4 minutes since … the islanders? Granted last year he was in Chicago, but I believe his “numbers” as a defender were still pretty decent.

As a whole I think Chatfield is here to stay (they love him) … and I don’t mind at all. His speed makes up for so much. And, he’s getting progressively better at reads and coverage. Except last night 😀

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
To me, the 3rd pair needs a puck-mover. Someone who can get the puck out of the zone before they get hemmed in, because once that happens, it’s going to be an adventure anyway.

I would like to see them finally bring in Klingberg as a rental, pair him with de Haan for 15mins a night and give him the reins to one of the PP units. Let Chatfield be the 7th D he’s meant to be.

I’ve been calling for some goalie depth for a while. Kochetkov is coming back to earth and there’s very little chance both Raanta/ Andersen are 100% in April.

Up front, I don’t think much of anything is needed outside of some more thoughtful line combinations. I don’t think they’ll go nuclear up front with the obvious bigger needs on the blueline or potentially in goal.
the ask for Klingberg is a 1st right now. Kling is really bad.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Has anyone mentioned how non-impactful and downright awful Jarvis has been?
Yet he’s still fed minutes beside the teams one true first line center.

It feels more and more that Roddy plays favorites to certain players. Maybe that’s frustrating for the guys that get held to a different standard?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As a whole I think Chatfield is here to stay (they love him) … and I don’t mind at all. His speed makes up for so much. And, he’s getting progressively better at reads and coverage. Except last night 😀

I think what we may have learned last night is that Chatfield is the loose cannon on a successful pairing. I know we're saying get a PMD to play with him. Maybe it's a matter of getting a more competent stay-at-home guy than De Haan.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
You are the numbers guy, and I don’t want to give you homework - but I believe 5/44’s last minus game before *I think Nashville* was *i think* in November. That’s really really good … and the purpose of hockey. To try not to get scored on, and to score.

Obviously there’s not a lot of offense coming from that pair - I totally get that, and it’s something that could improve with a trade for a more potent puck-moving guy to play either side. But man … I see the criticisms of both guys (I’m even starting to like and defend Chatfield) and I don’t get it at all. Last year Smith/Cole were fine - they also took a metric shit-ton of penalties it seemed (again, I expect a teacher-like dressing down from you after this).

I agree with what the pairing looked like last night - chaos. I’m sure some of it could be attributed to unfamiliarity with each other, but it looked downright awful.

I’d be really curious to see what would happen if Skjei or Slavin went down for a bit and they needed CDH in the second pair. I believe this season is the first he hasn’t played top-4 minutes since … the islanders? Granted last year he was in Chicago, but I believe his “numbers” as a defender were still pretty decent.

To me the main issue with Chatfield and CDH is they both like to jump in on offense like they’re the next coming of Bobby freaking Orr and by and large they both suck at it.

Now I know that’s what the Hurricanes defense is coached to do but maybe they would be better served by having a little more of a stay at home and defend the blue line attitude when in the offensive zone.

Again, I don’t know if the numbers would support this. But it seems like it’s hard for Aho to get going in the ozone when he’s spending half the time covering the point because CDH decided to pinch down and carry the puck behind the net where he spends the next 20 seconds trying to find a passing lane back out to the point where he should have left his ass be.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad