Post-Game Talk: Ooooh, DreamBeaut.... Pens - 2, Canes -1

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've never viewed Despres as a PP QB. I've never seen him show the hips for it and I honestly don't think Maatta is a top PP QB either. That's kind of the conundrum for me with DP.

As far as what Good Will said above, Ehrhoff has only put together one month of playing well for the Pens this season.

If we are looking at the season as a whole, there is no way we can say Ehrhoff has been better than Despres. I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably say Ehrhoff has outplayed Despres this season.

For the record, I do not believe Despres is a PP QB. As I said above, I don't think we have a true one on the roster right now. But I do believe certain players would bring more to the PP than Letang. I just can't rule Despres out as being one, because every time he's been given an opportunity on the PP, the PP has looked good. That's the only way I can judge him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
DP and Ehrhoff are the team's most natural PP QBs. Both guys are silky smooth gaining the zone. Ehrhoff has the bomb. But I can understand if the coaching staff want to coach up Letang to be a RHS point threat.

I think the PP is missing PH more than swapping a D-man out for another, IMO. And smarter decisions by Sid, Geno and Letang.

penguins2946*

Pouliot is a good PPQB already. He doesn't need to develop into one, he's already there easily. Saying he's not a PPQB already is just ridiculous.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For the record, I do not believe Despres is a PP QB. As I said above, I don't think we have a true one on the roster right now. But I do believe certain players would bring more to the PP than Letang. I just can't rule Despres out as being one, because every time he's been given an opportunity on the PP, the PP has looked good. That's the only way I can judge him.

You don't think DP is a PP QB?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I guess if thinking a 20 year old who has played less than 10 games in the NHL isn't an NHL PP QB is ridiculous, I'll accept that label.

I've watched him run those PPs as much as everyone else, and he clearly has skills and potential, but he is not, in my mind, there.

You don't think DP is a PP QB?

I think he will be, but I have yet to be impressed by either him individually during a PP or a PP (as a group) he's been on.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Pouliot is a good PPQB already. He doesn't need to develop into one, he's already there easily. Saying he's not a PPQB already is just ridiculous.

I don't think that Pouliot is a good PPQB at the NHL level yet. Nor do I see why it's ridiculous to say that. He obviously has the tools, but he's just not quite there yet.

penguins2946*

I guess if thinking a 20 year old who has played less than 10 games in the NHL isn't an NHL PP QB is ridiculous, I'll accept that label.

I've watched him run those PPs as much as everyone else, and he clearly has skills and potential, but he is not, in my mind, there.

The number of games he has played is irrelevant, he's definitely a PPQB already. He's not defensively ready for the NHL yet, but his offensive abilities and PP abilities are absolutely NHL ready.

I don't think that Pouliot is a good PPQB at the NHL level yet. Nor do I see why it's ridiculous to say that. He obviously has the tools, but he's just not quite there yet.

I can't disagree with this statement any more. The PP isn't working right now because the stars are playing like idiots on it. Pouliot is definitely a PPQB at the NHL level.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I think he can QB a PP better than any of our other defensemen.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The number of games he has played is irrelevant, he's definitely a PPQB already. He's not defensively ready for the NHL yet, but his offensive abilities and PP abilities are absolutely NHL ready.

I do not agree with this opinion stated as a fact

edit: the number of games is relevant because, in those 6 games, I've seen nothing to indicate he's ready to QB an NHL PP

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Despres is not smart enough to reach Ehrhoff´s level and not dynamic and talented enough to reach Letang´s level.

I am not sure I agree with either of these two statements.

Young players obviously look "not smart enough" quite frequently, when what it is, is their inexperience. Despres does NOT look to me like someone who LACKS hockey IQ, and I think with a couple/few years more of experience under his belt, his play is going to look "smarter and smarter." There's a reason of course that people speak of "wily veterans." To say that Despres cannot reach Ehrhoff's level, when you are discussing a player who has played just over 100 NHL games vs. someone who has played over 700, is a statement that I would NOT be willing to make. If Despres displayed an obvious lack of hockey IQ at this point, then even considering additional development maturity, I could see where one could say "he can't/won't reach Ehrhoff's level." I don't see that, though, and thus I disagree with that statement. I think he very much can reach Ehrhoff's level.

I also think he is indeed very dynamic and talented. He will probably, likely not reach the elite level of speed and fluidity that Letang has as a skater, but Simon is a very good/fast skater in his own right -- and beyond that, I think he very much could be spoken of in the same breath as Letang someday. Not saying he will be, but saying I think he has that potential... I guess, bottom line, is when I ask myself "could I envision Despres in a Norris-type discussion (not winning a Norris, but having his name mentioned)" five years down the road, I'd have to say yes, I could see that as being a possible outcome -- i.e. a ceiling for him being having his name mentioned in a Norris discussion at some point.

Last edited:

penguins2946*

I do not agree with this opinion stated as a fact

edit: the number of games is relevant because, in those 6 games, I've seen nothing to indicate he's ready to QB an NHL PP

You can disagree with it, but basically any scouts that watch Pouliot agree with it. His PP abilities and offensive abilities are what is keeping him in the NHL in the lineup right now. If he weren't ready to be a PPQB at the NHL level, he would be in WBS because that is basically all he can do at this point in his career.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe he can. But I don't believe what we've seen so far from him in the NHL supports that.

Meh. I think he's been smarter at moving the puck in his limited PP action than KL's been...pretty much ever. Tiny sample size, but nothing I've seen from DP at any level suggests that's an aberration.

Whatever aspects of his game need refining, PP ability isn't one of them.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You can disagree with it, but basically any scouts that watch Pouliot agree with it.

Oh shut the **** up.

You've talked to exactly 0 scouts. You've read reports from exactly 0 scouts. You've done exactly 0 work as a scout. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another when people just pull **** like this out of their ***** to try and look smart.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I can't disagree with this statement any more. The PP isn't working right now because the stars are playing like idiots on it. Pouliot is definitely a PPQB at the NHL level.

This is your opinion, and there is absolutely nothing substantial to support it.

You can disagree with it, but basically any scouts that watch Pouliot agree with it.

Link to these scouting reports?

penguins2946*

Meh. I think he's been smarter at moving the puck in his limited PP action than KL's been...pretty much ever. Tiny sample size, but nothing I've seen from DP at any level suggests that's an aberration.

This sums it up perfectly. His best asset is his PP abilities. If he's not NHL ready in that right now, we wasted the highest pick we have had since Staal.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I don't disagree that the ability is there, I just don't feel that he's fully showed that ability.

I think he's struggled at keeping pucks in, and while he makes prettier passes than Letang, I think in the limited opportunities he's had he's also over-passing it.

Whatever the reason may be, there haven't been positive results with him on the PP. Until there are, VM's claim of him already being a good PPQB at this level are completely unsubstantiated.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ehrhoff didn't have 1 good month. He had 1 so-so one, which coincided exactly with Despres getting 5 minors every game. If #10 is somehow disqualified for who's been among our best D based on one meh month, 47 should be disqualified for putting us shorthanded so many times during the same period.

For the record, I don't hold either thing against either guy.

penguins2946*

Oh shut the **** up.

You've talked to exactly 0 scouts. You've read reports from exactly 0 scouts. You've done exactly 0 work as a scout. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another when people just pull **** like this out of their ***** to try and look smart.

Calm the hell down. I never said I talked to any scouts, nor did I say I worked as a scout. Why do you have to be a ***** when people don't have exactly your opinion? It's not like you have made any support for Pouliot not being a PPQB other than "because I don't see it".

This is your opinion, and there is absolutely nothing substantial to support it.

Except for the eye test, which is basically nothing more than anyone else can support Pouliot not being a NHL ready PPQB. The only support for either side in this is the eye test. "Good" probably wasn't the correct term there, but he's definitely NHL ready IMO. The eye test is basically the only support for that on either side. I have really liked what Pouliot has done on the PP despite Crosby, Malkin and Letang struggling on the PP. Him (and Despres along with him) really seem to be capable of running a PP well.

Link to these scouting reports?

Just off the top of my head, Pronman was making some tweets about Pouliot being NHL ready offensively right before he got called up. I'll post them if I can find them.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I think he will be, but I have yet to be impressed by either him individually during a PP or a PP (as a group) he's been on.

Oh, well if we are talking about strictly the NHL, he obviously has to prove that. The PP he has been put on is dysfunctional right now, so I'm not expecting any miracles this early is his career.

However, from watching Maatta, DP and Despres the last several years, DP clearly has the best skill set of the three to run a PP. I never watched Despres or Maatta in JRs, the A or the NHL and saw a guy who could run a PP. In fact, the only reason I've never called Despres a #1 is because I don't think he can run a PP.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Except for the eye test, which is basically nothing more than anyone else can support Pouliot not being a NHL ready PPQB. The only support for either side in this is the eye test.

Right. Both sides are voicing an opinion. There are no definites in opinions.

Just off the top of my head, Pronman was making some tweets about Pouliot being NHL ready offensively right before he got called up. I'll post them if I can find them.

I don't see how Pronman saying he thought Pouliot was NHL ready offensively (while he was playing in the AHL) proves "basically any scouts that watch Pouliot agree" that he's shown to definitely be an NHL PPQB already.

penguins2946*

Right. Both sides are voicing an opinion. There are no definites in opinions.

Do I really need to say "Pouliot is definitely a NHL ready PPQB in my opinion"? I thought that was implied already. Basically anything posted here is an opinion. Nothing said on this site is fact, it's all opinion.

I don't trust the opinions on HF (who are extremely biased) as much as I trust the opinions of people like Pronman, Bombulie and others that have seen a lot of Pouliot and spoken glowingly of Pouliot. I also trust MJ here, if he wasn't a NHL caliber PPQB, he wouldn't be on the top unit. Obviously MJ is more familiar with Pouliot than any of us here, so if he thinks he's a NHL caliber PPQB, I'll take his word for it. He has coached Pouliot for 5 seasons now, I feel like he'd have a good feeling of what Pouliot could and couldn't do by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't disagree that the ability is there, I just don't feel that he's fully showed that ability.

I think he's struggled at keeping pucks in, and while he makes prettier passes than Letang, I think in the limited opportunities he's had he's also over-passing it.

Whatever the reason may be, there haven't been positive results with him on the PP. Until there are, VM's claim of him already being a good PPQB at this level are completely unsubstantiated.

It's all relative I guess. If he's in the line-up, I'd rather have him working the top of the diamond than any other d in the org right now.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
it'd be easier to see dp as a ppqb if letang weren't perpetually getting in his way and playing for lack of a better word territorially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad