Onto the next truck

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
So a little update. This truck has been amazing so far!

No hiccups whatsoever other then a tire losing a few psi over a week. No big deal, since i plan on buying new BF Goodrich AT TKO's before winter. For some reason this truck has 2 scorpion tires (%65) and 2 wrangler At (%80) tires. I might just buy 2 tires since the wranglers are still good.

The a/c tries to work but just isnt cold enough to keep up. $50 to refill the coolant, but ill just worry about that for next year. But the system works

My only real complaint is the seats. Its not that they are bad, but the seats in my 99 are noticeably more comfortable. No big deal considering I can adjust them 9000 ways. Ill figure it out eventually. I guess the other thing i didnt think about untill the day came, was that its a rear lift gate as opposed to a tail gate. So when i was loading drywall i realized im losing about 2 feet of support and needed to fasten down the gate as opposed to just the glass. (For those who dont know, the seats fold down perfectly flat and you can load anything 4' x about 74")

The center console has been a major improvement over the 99. Its just more functional...

The other week i used 4 low to haul some cement blocks (basement window cut outs) out of their respective holes and didnt even step on the gas. The truck hauled it in idle.

Overall im super impressed at the performance, mileage, luxury and general feel for this truck. People dont believe me when i say this truck is almost 20 years old.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Smaller update. Apparently i need emission test by mid November. No big deal, but dumb concidering it was just done in May. Oh well

Looks like tires will be $700 (thats for 2) but im going with the tried tested and true BF Goodrich a/t Ko2's. I had them on my 2 door GT and have missed them ever since. On the 99 i bought new Kumho M/t's and they were garbage after a year. Will never buy Kumho again.

The last bit is when i get the tires put on, ill be addressing a tranny mount or u joint. I feel like its the mount. Something is slopping around down there. Its fine till then

No other issues.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
More updates.

Closed my cottage and hauled the boat a good way through trails. Confirmed the 7 point harness worked. It rained on us and the heated seats helped after.

Passed emmissions yesterday. Just waiting for the sticker in the mail

Now at 244,500kms

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Cheap transportation is awesome. I bought a 93 pathfinder with 230k miles for 500$ had 4 new tires.my friend owned it and was worried because there a clunk sound from underneath.When you were on the gas a little going around a corner.He thought the frame was jacked up. It was nice but needed paint and given its age i bought shocks.Hell if I couldnt get the old ones off.Someone must have ueed a impact to install them.Big breaker bar i got em off and 4 new ones on.Damn is the noise went away.Must have been the shocks binding they were so tight. 5 years larer ,cpl oil changes and just tuned it up still goes like a champ.I dont put lots of miles on it and could probably get 2 k for it.Those kinda sell good in my area if in good condition.I painted it myself and looks like a new rig.
I also bought a 04 Kawasaki KLR 650 i ride the crap out of to work etc. 55 mpg ,75 a year for insurance ,50 to register..lol, bike set me back 2,500 but they hold value if running regardless the miles.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Cheap transportation is awesome. I bought a 93 pathfinder with 230k miles for 500$ had 4 new tires.my friend owned it and was worried because there a clunk sound from underneath.When you were on the gas a little going around a corner.He thought the frame was jacked up. It was nice but needed paint and given its age i bought shocks.Hell if I couldnt get the old ones off.Someone must have ueed a impact to install them.Big breaker bar i got em off and 4 new ones on.Damn is the noise went away.Must have been the shocks binding they were so tight. 5 years larer ,cpl oil changes and just tuned it up still goes like a champ.I dont put lots of miles on it and could probably get 2 k for it.Those kinda sell good in my area if in good condition.I painted it myself and looks like a new rig.
I also bought a 04 Kawasaki KLR 650 i ride the crap out of to work etc. 55 mpg ,75 a year for insurance ,50 to register..lol, bike set me back 2,500 but they hold value if running regardless the miles.
You can start your own thread if you like

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
My '04 Silverado has 455k kms on it and still rolling nicely.

Gm made some good vehicles back in the day.

Reactions: HansonBro

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Well my morning coffee took me on a tour in the country and I found a gem of a trail. An overcast autumn day with fresh rain the night before to top off all the ruts.. The trees changing colors were beautiful. Alone, I drove on through bog hole after bog hole. Worrying about safety I finally stopped at this hole. No winch, no allies and tired rear tires made me stop. It was the right call today.

I did have a blast and look forward to coming back more prepared. There was more track to be had for who knows how long and a couple other side trails just waiting to be drivin. Ive got that itch again and it feels good
20191017_122329-1632x1224.jpg

Reactions: RichWVU

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
So hit a little snag yesterday. Engine started making some noise and I knew right away it was a lifter. Truck sounded like a little 4 cylinder diesel and the rocker armswas just slapping away. Oddly enough no codes were thrown.

Anyhow my first stop today was canadian tire and a can of sea foam. Added half to the oil and the other to the gas. Was idling for about 20 and I was starting to worry untill *pop*. I could literally hear the lifter release and all is good again :)

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm curious about the mileage, is it even worth it to buy something with over 100,000 kms on it? Seems like it's very high and the problems would just pile up, no?

Kind of a necro bump, but IMO miles on a car is kind of a crap shoot. You have some stuff that needs to be addressed every 40-50-60-75 etc thousand miles and as long as the previous owner took care of those it should keep going. Although sometimes it depends on the vehicle/engine/trans. You can also go out and buy a car with low miles that someone leased or traded in that they abused since they knew they weren't going to keep it.

There are also other circumstances that work the opposite way... I once worked at a Ford dealer where a lady brought in a 3-4 year old Focus with 4X,XXX and admitted she was there for it's first oil change..... Had she decided to trade it in that day, the dealer would've advertised it as having low miles and some schmuck would've bought it thinking paying $1500 more for one with less miles will buy some sort of security.

I daily drive a Honda Fit that has 183K that I bought at a bargain price with 134K and have had no serious issues. Prior to that I had a WRX Wagon that I bought with 146k and ran up to 184k with no serious issues. I also have a 200k Dodge Dakota, 180k Camaro Z28, like 268k Geo Prizm and just bought my old ball and chain an Escalade with 140k. I've also bought and sold cars that have 200 to over 250k miles.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Trucks these days are a joke. They keep getting bigger, uglier and more expensive. It's ridiculous. And I know for a fact that the new Chevy trucks are trash since they have a ton of electrical problems. Trucks are no longer about practicality. It's now become a contest of who is the most insecure about his peepee size.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Ah, looks very similar to a place up north where I live.
Sand dunes be sandy lol. I had my '92 right in there many moons ago. That thing crawled hard (notice the dent in the running board and no plate. Ripped off 3 sets of plates lol)

Last edited:

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
I'm curious about the mileage, is it even worth it to buy something with over 100,000 kms on it? Seems like it's very high and the problems would just pile up, no?
Depends on the model year. Newer cars a lasting a lot longer than old cars used to. My Toyota is 12 years old with 135k miles on it, but it runs and looks like a 6 year old car. I'm hoping I can get another 5 years/60k+ miles out of it. My biggest enemy is rock salt. If I lived somewhere like New Mexico my cars would last 30 years because I take care of them by the book, never miss a fluid change.

Also depends on the model. 125k miles is nothing for a Toyota or Honda. I don't think I'd trust some other models with that mileage though

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Depends on the model year. Newer cars a lasting a lot longer than old cars used to. My Toyota is 12 years old with 135k miles on it, but it runs and looks like a 6 year old car. I'm hoping I can get another 5 years/60k+ miles out of it. My biggest enemy is rock salt. If I lived somewhere like New Mexico my cars would last 30 years because I take care of them by the book, never miss a fluid change.

Also depends on the model. 125k miles is nothing for a Toyota or Honda. I don't think I'd trust some other models with that mileage though
I've since moved on. I have a 4runner trd pro and 2020 Lincoln aviator, both are 2020. Both have been a lot of fun when the roads were less cluttered. This past week and a half it's become "normal" again.

As seen here.
View media item 7621
In the end I just realized I am not young anymore and maybe I just want to enjoy myself in rides. I got the gf the 4runner as she likes how the window goes down in the back and we will use it for camping when things open up again and mine...well, it's my toy. Also, sitting in traffic and getting a massage is perfect, mate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad