Ontario Reign 2016/2017

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Mayor John Hoven‏ @mayorNHL · 7h7 hours ago

Monday, October 2nd - San Diego Gulls will host @ontarioreign at the Ponda. Free game for the public. Full of Ducks & Kings top prospects.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Almost half of the Reign's training camp roster from last year is no longer in the organization. If some of the better prospect's make the Kings, and with Wagner hurt as on of the up and comer's expecting to help with offense, it could be a long season. We'll know more in a little over a month who will be in training camp with ONT.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Reign also added some toughness and size with the signing of Jamie Devane, and Matt Schmalz is another big body as well, standing at 6'6".

http://www.ontarioreign.com/news/detail/reign-add-forwards-jamie-devane-and-matt-schmalz
The Ontario Reign, proud American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL), announced today that the team has agreed to terms with forwards Jamie Devane (pictured) and Matt Schmalz.

Devane, 26, skated in 43 games with the Stockton Heat last season, scoring 13 points (four goals, nine assists). In seven games against the Reign, the Mississauga, Ontario, native registered two assists. Entering his sixth professional season, Devane holds 39 points (16 goals, 23 assists) in 223 career AHL games with Stockton, Milwaukee and Toronto and skated in two NHL contests with the Toronto Maple Leafs during the 2013-14 season. He was selected by the Leafs in the third round (68th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Schmalz, 21, made his professional debut with the Reign at the end of the 2015-16 season, dressing in three games and scoring two points (one goal and one assist at San Diego on April 16, 2016). Last season, the Dunnville, Ontario, product netted 31 points (16 goals, 15 assists) in 62 junior games with the Owen Sound Attack (OHL). Over a five-year junior career in the OHL with Owen Sound, Sudbury and Kitchener, Schmalz totaled 119 points (56 goals, 63 assists). He was selected by the Kings in the fifth round (134th overall) in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

A potential depth chart of Ontario's roster:

Sutter-Amadio-Hensick
Mersch-Iafallo-Watson
Imama-Maillet-Luff
Herr-Crescenzi-Auger
Devane-Schmalz-Iverson

MacDermid-Leslie
Fantenberg-Falkovsky
Lintuniemi-Roy
Reddekopp-Walker

Campbell
Petersen
Zatkoff
Flinn

The Reign may be assigning a number of players to Manchester this season. And that depth chart is based on the assumption that both Kempe and Brodzinski will be with the Kings this season.

15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 4 goaltenders. This might be the most competitive camp Ontario has had in a good while.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign top the Gulls 4-3 in a shootout. Maillet and Watson (GW) with goals in the shootout. Luff, Maillet and Kurker (PTO from Kings camp) scored for the Reign. A lot of PTO's from both sides played, with very few vets. Reign dominated the play the last two periods, but a bit of puck luck by the Gulls plus and nice 3 on 2 rush after a Reign player broke their stick and it ended in a tie in regulation. Reign had a ton of great chances but couldn't capitalize on many, including about 3 out of 4 breakaways that were denied by the Gulls goaltenders. Amadio and Watson were very fun to watch as a duo. They really controlled the play as the game worn on and in OT. Imama looks like a 3rd and 4th liner to me, has trouble controlling the puck and hurt their line more than he helped it. I do recall one need feed from him though. Petersen was solid positionally, but the was the game was kinda disjointed, with a deflection and weird bounce over his shoulder goal in tight. He didn't have a lot of work. He was a bit lucky in the shootout as he was scored on five hole and two consecutive shots rung off the posts. If anyone has any questions on how anyone looked, I'd be glad to give you my impression. Players that stood out for exceptional play: Amadio, Roy (one bad giveaway but puck always on his stick), Walker (great Reign signing, looks better than some Kings D on two-way deals), Maillet, Luff and Marcinew.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reddekopp did not play in the first exhibition game as they game a lot of PTO's a look. Hopefully he plays tonight. Honestly I think you are going to see at least one Reign D man go down to the ECHL, likely Reddekopp or Falkovsky. But we'll see, it's early. A lot may also depend on who the Kings final cuts are, but he Reign roster is very crowded already before the Kings cuts, with what looks like 14 F and 7 D, and soon to be 3 G. So some movement will have to happen. I thought Walker looked really good (also really good in rookie camp), and he is signed to an AHL only deal, but he looks better in some respects than the Kings 2 way guys. I hope he doesn't get sent down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad