Ontario Reign 2016/2017

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Defense should be interesting, with Jeff Schultz, Nick Ebert, and likely one or both of Kevin Gravel and Derek Forbort gone.

DEFENSE:

Vets-
Vincent LoVerde
Kurtis MacDermid
Zac Leslie

New to the Reign -
Alex Lintuniemi
Paul LaDue
Cernak?

+ new additions from the 123 defensemen the Kings seems to have signed this summer.

Am I missing anyone from juniors coming in?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Am I missing anyone from juniors coming in?

Damir Sharipzyanov is the only one that's eligible I think.

To the OP, the pool of prospects potentially heading to Ontario looks something like:

Defense:
Vincent LoVerde
Paul LaDue
Alex Lintuniemi
Zach Leslie
Kurtis MacDermid
Damir Sharipzyanov
Kevin Raine? (haven't seen anything that he won't be back yet)
Two of Scuderi, Trotman, Gilbert

Forwards:
Justin Auger
Mike Amadio
Jonny Brodzinski
Andrew Crescenzi
Adrian Kempe
Joel Lowry
Sean Backman
Brett Sutter
Paul Bissonette
Miles Koules
Spencer Watson
Sam Herr
Matt Schmalz (he is eligible but hasn't signed yet that I've seen)
One or both of Michael Mersch and Nic Dowd may start there.

Goalies:
Two of Jeff Zatkoff, Peter Budaj, Jack Campbell (one is the backup in LA) with Jack Flinn in Manchester.

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

To the OP, the pool of prospects potentially heading to Ontario looks something like:

Defense:
Vincent LoVerde
Paul LaDue
Alex Lintuniemi
Zach Leslie
Kurtis MacDermid
Damir Sharipzyanov
Two of Scuderi, Trotman, Gilbert, McBain

Forwards:
Justin Auger
Mike Amadio
Jonny Brodzinski
Andrew Crescenzi
Adrian Kempe
Joel Lowry
Sean Backman
Brett Sutter
Paul Bissonette
Miles Koules
Spencer Watson
Sam Herr

Goalies:
Two of Jeff Zatkoff, Peter Budaj, Jack Campbell (one is the backup in LA) with Jack Flinn in Manchester.

Forgot Raine was a defenseman, honestly, since he played forward a fair bit.

Also, McBain is gone. He signed with the Coyotes.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Forgot Raine was a defenseman, honestly, since he played forward a fair bit.

Also, McBain is gone. He signed with the Coyotes.

Thanks! Forgot about that when making the list. Edited my post and removed him. I'm curious to see if Raine is back if he finally gets switched to forward full time with all the guys potentially on the backend.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's actually a deeper group than I thought even if it's not top-heavy.

It also seems like Bjorkstrand (camp invite) may get a contract to supplement that forward depth.

Shore is no longer waiver eligible, correct?

Edit: Just gonna go ahead and sticky this...since it's about that time.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Thanks! Forgot about that when making the list. Edited my post and removed him. I'm curious to see if Raine is back if he finally gets switched to forward full time with all the guys potentially on the backend.

Raine would be a good depth signing. The nice thing about him is plug him in where you are thin due to injuries etc. he's more than capable playing wing. He's good at PK, and somewhat decent at 3on3.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
That's actually a deeper group than I thought even if it's not top-heavy.

It also seems like Bjorkstrand (camp invite) may get a contract to supplement that forward depth.

Shore is no longer waiver eligible, correct?

Agree on Bjorkstrand. Could be a decent signing and at the very least a depth signing for Manchester if injuries hit.

Correct Shore is no longer eligible for waivers so it's likely LA or somewhere else in the NHL for him and I didn't include him. There is still a few that I was uncertain about. Samuels-Thomas and the like that may be signed to AHL deals.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Agree on Bjorkstrand. Could be a decent signing and at the very least a depth signing for Manchester if injuries hit.

Correct Shore is no longer eligible for waivers so it's likely LA or somewhere else in the NHL for him and I didn't include him. There is still a few that I was uncertain about. Samuels-Thomas and the like that may be signed to AHL deals.

Right, I don't know the status of Ryan Horvat, JST, or Kris Newbury. Newbury spent the season across the country from his family. Not sure if he would repeat that this season or try to find a team closer to home.

If Mersch's skating doesn't improve quite a bit this summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season in Ontario if he doesn't have to pass through waivers. (What's his waiver situation?) Assuming, however, that Mersch and Dowd graduate, who makes up our Top 6? Amadio, Kempe, Brodzinski, Backman. Maybe Auger. Who else?

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Defense:
Vincent LoVerde
Paul LaDue
Alex Lintuniemi
Zach Leslie
Kurtis MacDermid
Damir Sharipzyanov
Two of Scuderi, Trotman, Gilbert

Forwards:
Justin Auger
Mike Amadio
Jonny Brodzinski
Andrew Crescenzi
Adrian Kempe
Joel Lowry
Sean Backman
Brett Sutter
Paul Bissonette
Miles Koules
Spencer Watson
Sam Herr

Goalies:

Dowd is LA or bust. He is not waiver exempt. Almost a sure thing now that Budaj and Campbell will be the Reign goalies with the Zatkoff signing. Reign also signed veteran center TJ Hensick. Doubt Koules makes the team, probably destined for Manchester. No word yet on AHLer's Newbury, JST, Horvat or Raine. Also, Cernak will likely be competing for a spot if they feel he is ready to bump up from Juniors.

Last edited:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
If the defense for Ontario is

Ladue
Lintuniemi
Cernak
Sharipzyanov
Loverde
Macdermid
Leslie

Ill be very happy and pleased because instead of having vets that will never make the NHL, it will be all of our prospects who can develop and we will see what we got . I really hope to see Lintu and Cernak in Ontario. And i cant wait to see how Ladue does .

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
If the defense for Ontario is

Ladue
Lintuniemi
Cernak
Sharipzyanov
Loverde
Macdermid
Leslie

Ill be very happy and pleased because instead of having vets that will never make the NHL, it will be all of our prospects who can develop and we will see what we got . I really hope to see Lintu and Cernak in Ontario. And i cant wait to see how Ladue does .

I'd consider LoVerde a vet, but he'll have a lot of leading to do with that young group of defensemen. Looks like Leslie and MacDermid will have to step up in that role as well. It's an intriguing group of defensemen. I'm interested in seeing the styles of LaDue, Cernak and Eye Chart.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I'd consider LoVerde a vet, but he'll have a lot of leading to do with that young group of defensemen. Looks like Leslie and MacDermid will have to step up in that role as well. It's an intriguing group of defensemen. I'm interested in seeing the styles of LaDue, Cernak and Eye Chart.

Definitely agree. Besides Amadio, Kempe and Brodzinski we don't have many intriguing forwards who are eligible to play in Ontario. So it's more our defense and I'm as excited as you are about seeing Ladue, Cernak and Sharipzyanov. I'd also throw in Lintuniemi. Kings brass was very high on him. Let's see what they saw.

Right now I'd say our best prospect on defense however is the guy we took this year. Clague. I think he has home run potential

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Looking forward down the road to a d-core with a veteran Muzzin, Doughty, Clague, Cernak top 4 :nod:

Am I crazy in thinking Cernak has similarities to Parayko?

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Latta and Trotman will be strong players for Ontario, unless Latta beats-out
Jordan Nolan for the 4th-line RW spot in LA.

As someone said, Scuderi is a safe guy to send down, due to age/contract, and may even
help with training the young D-men down there, for a time.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Latta and Trotman will be strong players for Ontario, unless Latta beats-out
Jordan Nolan for the 4th-line RW spot in LA.

As someone said, Scuderi is a safe guy to send down, due to age/contract, and may even
help with training the young D-men down there, for a time.

I would be very surprised if Latta did not make the Kings roster. Scuds is a safe bet to send down, but I'm not so sure DS has the resolve to ship his vet to the minors in what is likely his last year. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
add Hensick...and put Cernak on as well. Think he makes the Reign.

TJ Hensick
Adrian Kempe
Patrick Bjorkstrand
Michael Mersch
Mike Amadio
Jonny Brodzinski
Justin Auger
Andrew Crescenzi
Joel Lowry
Sean Backman
Brett Sutter
Paul Bissonette
Miles Koules
Spencer Watson
Sam Herr
Matt Schmalz

Vincent LoVerde
Paul LaDue
Alex Lintuniemi
Zach Leslie
Kurtis MacDermid
Erik Cernak
Damir Sharipzyanov

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
add Hensick...and put Cernak on as well. Think he makes the Reign.

Vincent LoVerde
Paul LaDue
Alex Lintuniemi
Zach Leslie
Kurtis MacDermid
Erik Cernak
Damir Sharipzyanov

That's quite a turnover on defense. Only 2 regulars (LoVerde and the big Mac) and one who hasn't been in the lineup full-time yet (Les). Add those who don't make the team out of training camp. We've got Scuderi, Greene, Gilbert, Trotman, Gravel, Forbort all competing for spots.

ETA: Wait, what about Kevin Raine? Also, we're adding Patrick Bjorkstrand to the forward line-up as well, eh?

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Even if the top-end talent isn't great that's a scary DEEP team for the AHL.

Every one of those lines is a potential AHL 2nd line.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's quite a turnover on defense. Only 2 regulars (LoVerde and the big Mac) and one who hasn't been in the lineup full-time yet (Les). Add those who don't make the team out of training camp. We've got Scuderi, Greene, Gilbert, Trotman, Gravel, Forbort all competing for spots.

ETA: Wait, what about Kevin Raine? Also, we're adding Patrick Bjorkstrand to the forward line-up as well, eh?

It absolutely is and that's why many of us feel some d-men are on the way out for other assets (picks, imo).

Though the new talent coming in, with guys like Cernak, are great talents. I'm excited to see what he, Ladue, and Lintuniemi in particular can do, and what Leslie can do with full time. That's our potential next generation right there (with maybe like MacDermid being a #6).

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Even if the top-end talent isn't great that's a scary DEEP team for the AHL.

Every one of those lines is a potential AHL 2nd line.

True. With the additions of Amadio, Hensick and Bjorkstrand, should bode well for the offense. Amadio showed in the playoffs that he will transition well to the AHL.

Kempe and Brodzinski should put up better numbers too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad