"Only gold matters"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
So let me get this straight. You get selected to represent your country. You travel halfway around the world for the opportunity to do something 99.9 percent of people never have a shot at doing. You get a chance to win a medal. So you lay an egg and don't try because it's not a gold one? Give me a damn break. If they really did have that attitude then they are a disgraceful group. But I think they did try and got their ***** handed to them by a better team with a better coach.

I don't think anyone is saying that?

Johnny B Good

Sep 21, 2011
Some people don't mind being in third place. Then there are winners.

Personally, I like being a winner and not enjoying a loser medal. But to each their own.

And just because the media counts all medals, doesn't mean people like winning Bronze or that it makes it ok.

You've seen a lot of American Olympians this year be extremely pissed about winning silver.

It was gold or bust for this hockey team. I barely watched the game today. Who cares about Bronze.

In the heat of the moment, you will always be pissed or dissapointed that you were 1 inch away from gold..Later on they are probably gonna appriciate and have very good memories about the silver/bronze they got. Getting a bronze in the Olympics is not a common thing. Earning a medal in the Olympics is a great achievment.

Nexus

Jul 7, 2013
Why are so many Americans pissed over losing a mere bronze game? Why did you watch it in the first place if nobody gives a damn about bronze?

samuraifailure

Mar 27, 2011
I don't think anyone is saying that?

You of all people should know that several persons in these forums have sayed that, as you keep quoting them in every thread. "Sarcasm?" etc.

It must be tough trying to be proud of your team today.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007

Obviously if you number one (CAN) or number two (USA) contender, than anything below gold is a fail.

I am sure Latvia or Swiss wouldn't mind finishing 3rd.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Fan's caring about the bronze is a different thing.

But I assure you that professional athlete cares about winning even if it is a meaningless game with your local pub-friends. You don't become one of the best players in any sport without having a desire to win.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Only Gold matters in every sport. There is 1 winner and the rest are losers.

Nobody cares about who the runner up for the Stanley Cup is. As a Canadian I don't blame the USA players for not giving a **** about a 3rd place game. I wouldn't either.

When I at this site it seems very important to have a high rank. Well as it is we can rank USA 4th best hockey nation in the world. Feels good for USA?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I thought the USA hockey team quit. I don't care what anybody says about the matter. They flat out didn't give a crap about the bronze and barely showed up to play in the game. They were nowhere near the team they were 2 days ago. It was a disgraceful effort and the reason they rarely ever medal on the international stage.

FanHabtic*

So?
Has Finland won a best on best, ever?

Nobody remembers who finished 3rd.

No they haven't (although they have won the WHC's). But Finland doesn't have a gold or bust mentality. They play their heart out in every game.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013

Personally, I like being a winner and not enjoying a loser medal. But to each their own.

And just because the media counts all medals, doesn't mean people like winning Bronze or that it makes it ok.

You've seen a lot of American Olympians this year be extremely pissed about winning silver.

It was gold or bust for this hockey team. I barely watched the game today. Who cares about Bronze.

Yeah, if we are talking about some street hockey, or how many times you have been playing in Olympics?

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I think its arrogant fir the US to have a gold or bust mentality. Win one in a best on best then you've earned the right.

It's not arrogance, why should anyone be happy coming in 2nd or 3rd in a 12 team tournament. You lost.

Oh we won a silver....you lost.....oh we a bronze....you lost. We just lost the Stanley Cup but we came in second place ......woo hoo!!!!!!

What are we in kindergarten where everyone gets a star because you did your homework or t-ball where every game ends in a tie because we can't have a loser because it will hurt someone's feelings.

But to not show up for a hockey game that " didn't matter" is disgraceful. You try to win every game you play

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Anything other than gold is a failure for the USA. Silver and bronze medals are nothing other than dubious honors. American sports culture does not allow celebration for anything other than first.

As the great Athletic Legend/Philosopher Richard Robert once said:

If perchance you do not win, henceforth you may as well have been last.

or in laymans terms: "If you ain't first, you're last"

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Funny that a mediocre team like USA could have a mentality of "gold or bust"! 2 medals the last 30 years in olympics and none of them gold... In the same time Finland has 6 medals. It`s like Brasil winning bronze in world cup(soccer) and Iceland coming 4th, claiming "gold or nothing"!:sarcasm:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Now is that a winners mentality or a sore losers mentality?

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Funny that a mediocre team like USA could have a mentality of "gold or bust"! 2 medals the last 30 years in olympics and none of them gold... In the same time Finland has 6 medals. It`s like Brasil winning bronze in world cup(soccer) and Iceland coming 4th, claiming "gold or nothing"!:sarcasm:

mediocre? What a terrible argument, tell me, what exactly does the past thirty years have to do with this years team?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I bet the US-team loves 4th place over medals! All the relatives at home are proud over them "giving up" the bronze-medal game! Looser.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Is there a link to the US coach and players saying this that I somehow missed?

Or is it just people making things up to bash the US team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad