"Only gold matters"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bareza

Jul 8, 2011
care to explain me why only gold matters ? are they that good in reality . i can see why only gold matter for Canada but not for USA they haven't proven them self:help:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Clearly there are more Americans that cant spell intensity then we originally realized.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
It's cultural. After the let down I thought the US should have gone with Miller. Probably his last Olympics with something to prove. Same as Canada in 98 with Roy/Brodeur.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
care to explain me why only gold matters ? are they that good in reality . i can see why only gold matter for Canada but not for USA they haven't proven them self:help:

Because it's hockey.

In international tournaments:
Only gold matters.

In the NHL:
Only the Cup matters.

Would the Kings and Penguins (losers in the conference finals) have given a damn if they had to play for 3rd? I doubt it. They'd already lost their shot at the cup.

FanHabtic*

Preposterous!!! USA should be elated to medal in hockey. Gold ir bust is Canada's motto! That and never eat yellow snow!

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
I don't see why everybody thinks the usa has to care. if they lost and don't care, then that's prerogative. congrats to the fins, but I don't think anybody but the fins value the bronze as much as they do. maybe the swiss or the Slovaks would have considered the bronze as valuable. I think Russia, Sweden, Canada, and the americans all had gold medal game as the minimum of what would be considered acceptable

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Only Gold matters in every sport. There is 1 winner and the rest are losers.

Nobody cares about who the runner up for the Stanley Cup is. As a Canadian I don't blame the USA players for not giving a **** about a 3rd place game. I wouldn't either.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Because it's hockey.

In international tournaments:
Only gold matters.

In the NHL:
Only the Cup matters.

Would the Kings and Penguins (losers in the conference finals) have given a damn if they had to play for 3rd? I doubt it. They'd already lost their shot at the cup.

It's not the same thing. A bronze is an acheivement in the Olympics. I'm sure a lot of players appreciate being able to take home the bronze medal and keep it for the rest of their life.

Finland was just better today.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014

Americans are used to being the best at everything.

bareza

Jul 8, 2011
I don't see why everybody thinks the usa has to care. if they lost and don't care, then that's prerogative. congrats to the fins, but I don't think anybody but the fins value the bronze as much as they do. maybe the swiss or the Slovaks would have considered the bronze as valuable. I think Russia, Sweden, Canada, and the americans all had gold medal game as the least of their mentality

yeah but i don't just see USA getting gold , why set your sight on something u cant really get and everything else is just **** and u don't care about it time to meet reality

FanHabtic*

Nobody cares about who the runner up for the Stanley Cup is. As a Canadian I don't blame the USA players for not giving a **** about a 3rd place game. I wouldn't either.

I think its arrogant fir the US to have a gold or bust mentality. Win one in a best on best then you've earned the right.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Anything other than gold is a failure for the USA. Silver and bronze medals are nothing other than dubious honors. American sports culture does not allow celebration for anything other than first.

Johnny B Good

Sep 21, 2011

If that's how your mindset is, then you shouldn't be allowed to wear a country jersey. ( not ment directly to you ofc, just athletes in general.)

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
So let me get this straight. You get selected to represent your country. You travel halfway around the world for the opportunity to do something 99.9 percent of people never have a shot at doing. You get a chance to win a medal. So you lay an egg and don't try because it's not a gold one? Give me a damn break. If they really did have that attitude then they are a disgraceful group. But I think they did try and got their ***** handed to them by a better team with a better coach.

AHB*

Some people don't mind being in third place. Then there are winners.

Personally, I like being a winner and not enjoying a loser medal. But to each their own.

And just because the media counts all medals, doesn't mean people like winning Bronze or that it makes it ok.

You've seen a lot of American Olympians this year be extremely pissed about winning silver.

It was gold or bust for this hockey team. I barely watched the game today. Who cares about Bronze.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
To be fair everyone has similar mentality. Its nice and all to win bronze, but i dont really care that much after losing to Sweden. People remember who won the superbowl and who lost it, not who was the second best team.
Its just funny that US team is somehow put into same tier as Canadas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad