"Only gold matters"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwaZ*

So you're saying a countries hopes of winning the gold is predicated on the last time they won the gold? Seems less than logical.

Also it sounds like you're saying winning the gold is the only thing of note? If that's what you're saying, why is Finland included in that group?

Consistent medal-winning is in itself of note.

aloonda*

I am pissed that my country's team showed so little effort and character today.

I don't give a crap what the game is for, compete your ass off.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I think you've asked this twice and no one has answered you. I'm with you. This thread seems to be based on fiction.

It seemed pretty clear after the loss yesterday that the Americans had no interest in playing this game. They asked Bylsma if he thought the team would up for it and he just had a long pause and couldn't give a direct answer. Maybe if they had a day to digest the result it would have been a little bit better, but still unlikely. This tournament wouldn't be considered better for the US if they came home with bronze instead of 4th.

On the other side Bronze means a lot to Finland and is a result they can be proud of, and they took that out on the ice with them.

montador*

It seemed pretty clear after the loss yesterday that the Americans had no interest in playing this game. They asked Bylsma if he thought the team would up for it and he just had a long pause and couldn't give a direct answer. Maybe if they had a day to digest the result it would have been a little bit better, but still unlikely. This tournament wouldn't be considered better for the US if they came home with bronze instead of 4th.

On the other side Bronze means a lot to Finland and is a result they can be proud of, and they took that out on the ice with them.

I dont disagree that the us team was upset about losing to canada but to say gold or bust seems like a stretch. And I love how the thread title is in quotation marks as if someone actually said it

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Agree. Lot of trying to paint every fan with the same brush, and then trying to paint the players with that brush too. That never works. Broad assumptions are being made about the country as a whole.

I'm not sure exactly what people here want from USA fans. Some fans lost their ability to care much after getting pretty well dominated yesterday (despite the 1-0 score). Others were ready to take a second dose of misery today. What does it matter? Why are there so many experts on how American fans should react? Why is this so important to anyone?

The thread title says "Only gold matters" which is a misleading title because it looks as if someone said that, yet provides no link or context.

Last edited by a moderator:

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Well then the tournament is winding down exactly as it should.
Team USA wasn't good enough to win the gold, so they go home emptyhanded.
Which is fine by everyone involved, and everyone back home.

And on top of that, medals go to players that wanted to get them. I'd say - perfect ending.

Agreed. The Americans were not burdened with the "failure" of a bronze so everybody is happy.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
Totally disagree, Canada is too proud when it comes to ANY hockey competition not to give a damn about 2nd or 3rd place.

Not really... since 1998 Nagano to as recently as the 2014 World Juniors, weve made a regular habit of completely unfolding after a semi final loss.

I abhor this attitude. You think youre too good for a bronze, so you just go ahead and settle for less?

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

montador*

Why is this even a thread? The op is completely misleading. All posts are either about how the us players feel which is based on false information or how us fans feel.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
You're probably the first Canadian I've heard say that. Winning a silver or bronze in hockey is equivalent to not even showing up to the tournament. If you're not first you're last.

I am Canadian and I completely agree with them. Losing to the US would have been very disappointing, but I would have been up at 7am to watch the boys compete for a Bronze and would have been cheering for them all the way.

If they lose tomorrow I will be very disappointed but I will be proud of the boys for taking home a silver at least.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Someone grab a camera and a microphone and ask the US players what medal they went there for.

That is all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Totally disagree, Canada is too proud when it comes to ANY hockey competition not to give a damn about 2nd or 3rd place.

I disagree with you. IN HOCKEY, if we lose in the semi's, we rarely get up for the bronze. If it were basketball, FOR SURE they would be up for it.

When you have slogans like "Hockey is Our Game" and commercials PUSHING IT, you bet we are disappointed if we do not win gold.

We go into many sports HOPING to get on the podium. And the reason is that we have not been dominate in those sports. We have been at hockey, so that is the goal. Once you lose that goal, you are deflated. Getting it back is hard.

Another example...US Basketball team. Do you think they care about the bronze like they think about the gold? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

WILL Canada win each year. Of course not. But that is the GOAL...not Bronze.

member 151739

I don't think this thread is really productive, and it seems like it's being used to subtly bash the United States. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad