"Only gold matters"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
How many registered hockey players are there in Sweden? Just curious

I do kind of agree with the overall point though; imo the American player development system in all sports is far inferior to the European one. However Canada in hockey (and comparably the Americans in basketball and to a lesser extent baseball) are able to still be the best due to sheer volume of players and/or strong infrastructure. But that's probably a debate for another time.
Here is a list of countries that play icehockey and number of registered players for most of them :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_countries

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh, there's chest pumping. It's ok when a Canadian says they don't care about bronze. You just can't say it. It's a justified POV from them. For you, it's clearly arrogance, and that's just ugly, and so stereotypically American.

Am I getting this right?

Yes, the USA is used to winning "most of the time" (not talking hockey, talking everything in the world), so we don't spend a lot of time worshiping the Bronze 3rd place medal. Arrogance or not, it's part of what makes our country great.

It's a shame Canadians can't discuss this stuff peacefully and articulately without calling people "Ugly Americans".

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Canada prefers gold. America prefers gold. Are you telling me you wouldn't settle for bronze right now? I don't believe it

I'm disappointed in the effort today. It was embarrassing. But then I say that, and all of a sudden I am not paying proper respect to Finland in some people's eyes.

USA fans are pretty much boxed in a corner, aren't they. Nice little setup you all have got here.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
USA fans are pretty much boxed in a corner, aren't they. Nice little setup you all have got here.

No they arent. They could be saying "It wasnt our best effort, wouldve loved to leave with bronze"

Instead their fans are saying,

"No gold? WE DONT WANT IT. BRONZE IS FOR LOSERS WHO BEAT US"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree that Canada wants gold and anything less is a disappointment, but I have absolutely no doubt a bronze is better than nothing and if CAN had lost to the US, the team wants a bronze over nothing.

Agree 100%. Canada would still fight it out hard for the Bronze. Means so much more in Canada. It should, it's your national sport.

It's sad, but most of the USA didn't even care the Bronze medal game was being played.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I'm disappointed in the effort today. It was embarrassing. But then I say that, and all of a sudden I am not paying proper respect to Finland in some people's eyes.

I have no idea what you are talking about, I just got here.

No they arent. They could be saying "It wasnt our best effort, wouldve loved to leave with bronze"

Instead their fans are saying,

"No gold? WE DONT WANT IT. BRONZE IS FOR LOSERS WHO BEAT US"

Anybody who says that is just a poor loser. If they had won today I am sure they would be singing a different tune. Instead they lost two big games back to back so now they "don't care" anymore. I don't believe it, just bad losers

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
I can't wait for the day that Americans will rule hockey, and it will come......then all these self-entitled fellow Canadians will only have Curling !!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"Only gold matters", so that's why they went out there embarassing themselves and their nation? Wow... :help:

"The Nation" didn't even know the game was on. That should show you how much people care vs if this was Canada or Russia or Finland or Sweden. In those countries, that game means something, everyone is watching. In the US it was barely mentioned. It is what it is. You can't make a country care for 3rd place.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
But then you're expecting US fans to be happy with a bronze medal. Why?

Their expectations, like every other country in this tournament, is to win the gold medal. For some, it's a more realistic expectation than others, but considering the US won the silver in Vancouver and it took OT to beat them even then, it was not an unreasonable expectation for the US to win gold in these games.

If Canada loses to Sweden tomorrow, will most of the country be happy with silver or will there be more disappointment that gold wasn't won? Likely, the latter will be true. Why should that be any different for the US? They came in wanting to win gold, they left without accomplishing that.

Gold or bust is the right mentality to take.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's sad, it's like Canadians want USA fans to care more so they can bash them more and make the bashing painful somehow. The loss to Canada was painful enough. This means little.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
USA only caring about gold is news to me, considering they're the only country that insists on ordering countries by total medal count, always bragging about racking up those bronze medals.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
So Americans in here are genuinely happier to have no medal at all than a bronze medal? Simply because its Gold or bust? lol

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Question to Canadian fans...hypothetically, if Canada were playing for Bronze today, would you really care that much ?.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
You cant compare a bronze medal in hockey tourney to say alpine skiing where finishing 3rd out of a field of 50 is an accomplishment. In a hockey tourney where only 5-6 teams really have a good shot at winning, 3rd means dick all.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I feel like this time more than ever was "Gold or Bust" just because of how close USA was in 2010 to winning the Gold.

And boy did they ever bust hard when they didn't win gold.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Agree 100%. Canada would still fight it out hard for the Bronze. Means so much more in Canada. It should, it's your national sport.

It's sad, but most of the USA didn't even care the Bronze medal game was being played.

This is hilarious, why in the world are you writing here in this forum then, page up and down.-..:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad