Post-Game Talk: Only Bob may go to the ti**y bar tonight: Panthers get swept, off-season coaching decision looms

Are you happy with what Florida did this season?

• Yes, President's trophy and 1st series win since 1996

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • No, just give me the monkey pox

Votes: 47 47.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Bruno exceeded all expectations we could have had of him. His inexperience showed at times and his core players let him down for just about the entire playoff run.

I have no issues with him not being coach next year. Just hoping they don't reach into the dinosaur recycling bin that is NHL coaches.
I have repeatedly named my choices; Tortz, Torts, or Tocchet.

Who do you recommend?

Reactions: harv33173

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

nice presser from bruno.

i think what he says squares with what i've been saying.

* the lightning came in with a different mindset this year. we had more depth and were far more dangerous this year and they came in determined to play a tight game.
* he trusted the guys on the PP too much and gave them too long to work through the issues. those failures ended up being a deciding factor in the series.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Bruno exceeded all expectations we could have had of him. His inexperience showed at times and his core players let him down for just about the entire playoff run.

I have no issues with him not being coach next year. Just hoping they don't reach into the dinosaur recycling bin that is NHL coaches.
I hope they get the right coach. I can't wait another 30 years waiting around because somebody is making something trivial like a coach with experience, being off limits. Old, young, recycled, "dinosaur"? I don't care.
Get the guy in here who's going to get the team to play the way they need to play.
That's generally means putting in the hard work when it's not getting any attention. That's more important than most of the other stuff fans and media talk about. That usually means hard work in practice. A more experienced coach is usually the one most likely not to hesitate in making these players work hard in preparation for them to do what they have to do on the ice during games. That's all that needs to happen. That's a process that's going to be on going throughout the season. This team has everything it needs.
Experience is not a bad thing.

Reactions: KW

Hedmonster Bolt

Les Paul Goon Life
May 8, 2018
Largo,Fl
Look on the bright side, the Panthers did the women of the Tampa Bay area a huge favor and won't go into the offseason with a city-wide domestic abuse outbreak on their conscience.
Sorry Panthers fan not here to stir shit with you guys but this clown posted this on the main thread and I can't find it.

WTF does this mean, do You beat women after the Cats lose? In no way was your attempt at humor funny loser.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Sorry Panthers fan not here to stir shit with you guys but this clown posted this on the main thread and I can't find it.

WTF does this mean, do You beat women after the Cats lose? In no way was your attempt at humor funny loser.

lmao. Another saving grace for your spouses: You're not very bright.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Vasilevski is obviously an amazing goalie, and looking at the shot stats it’s easy to see he went complete godmode. But honestly, watching that closer vs Toronto and last night’s plus other games in the series. To me, what deserves the most credit is simply how they’re coached (as much as I absolutely dislike Cooper’s smug face and entitled attitude), and their commitment to a defensive plan. I mean they had like 14 blocked shots in the first period of last game alone….yeah it’s 49 shots but how many are legit high scoring chances? They don’t give you an inch, we must’ve hit Vasilevski in his mask from the perimeter like at least 3 times….he’s gonna make saves from those stupid angles 100% of the time. We simply get shut down and can’t get set up to make passes to fool him at all. Tampa’s defensive structure is the best I’ve ever seen. They make you take terrible shots which were the majority of our shots yesterday. He’s not out there making Nabokov type saves. The most impressive might’ve been the save on Bennett’s redirection, that’s it.

Meanwhile, Bob did make some saves that stood out more to me. We simply don’t have the guys or structure/discipline/commitment to frustrate their shooters into submission. Maybe one day…

VerhaegheAintAverage

I'm gonna need Verhaeghe to do Verhaeghe things.
Jul 23, 2009
UK
Not with a bang but with a whimper. Sigh. Well, I have enjoyed this season a lot and feel sad to be packing my Panthers jersey away (it's been out on my sofa cheering me up after all those wins!).

Very pleased to have won the league and a round. Less pleased about the way we eventually went out, but better than not being in at all. We have achieved a lot. Bring on next season.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Vasilevski is obviously an amazing goalie, and looking at the shot stats it’s easy to see he went complete godmode. But honestly, watching that closer vs Toronto and last night’s plus other games in the series. To me, what deserves the most credit is simply how they’re coached (as much as I absolutely dislike Cooper’s smug face and entitled attitude), and their commitment to a defensive plan. I mean they had like 14 blocked shots in the first period of last game alone….yeah it’s 49 shots but how many are legit high scoring chances? They don’t give you an inch, we must’ve hit Vasilevski in his mask from the perimeter like at least 3 times….he’s gonna make saves from those stupid angles 100% of the time. We simply get shut down and can’t get set up to make passes to fool him at all. Tampa’s defensive structure is the best I’ve ever seen. They make you take terrible shots which were the majority of our shots yesterday. He’s not out there making Nabokov type saves. The most impressive might’ve been the save on Bennett’s redirection, that’s it.

Meanwhile, Bob did make some saves that stood out more to me. We simply don’t have the guys or structure/discipline/commitment to frustrate their shooters into submission. Maybe one day…
1653432528873.png

It's about knowing what they had and building a strategy to win around it. They counted on Vasy to make the saves and the goal is completely close off the inner slot. They sacrificed their bodies blocking shots and making championship plays.

We simply didnt have that on our end.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I have repeatedly named my choices; Tortz, Torts, or Tocchet.

Who do you recommend?
I believe we'll end up bringing Q back and keep Brunette on as assistant.

Otherwise, a candidate who hasn't been mentioned as much... Pete Deboer reunion? The guy can certainly push buttons and has a great track record for quick success with a new team.

And also he'd finally "have the guys to back me up" on his playoff guarantee.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If I'm Zito

I talk to Brunette tomorrow and I ask the hardest question.

If you were a coach next season... tell me what system and philosophy are you bringing to the table

If it's Quenneville's you let him go

If its a philosophy different from what you believe we need to win, you let him go.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I hope they get the right coach. I can't wait another 30 years waiting around because somebody is making something trivial like a coach with experience, being off limits. Old, young, recycled, "dinosaur"? I don't care.
Get the guy in here who's going to get the team to play the way they need to play.
That's generally means putting in the hard work when it's not getting any attention. That's more important than most of the other stuff fans and media talk about. That usually means hard work in practice. A more experienced coach is usually the one most likely not to hesitate in making these players work hard in preparation for them to do what they have to do on the ice during games. That's all that needs to happen. That's a process that's going to be on going throughout the season. This team has everything it needs.
Experience is not a bad thing.
Gallant didn’t do too badly in Vegas and ain’t doing too badly in NYC.

I know he isn’t available, but the point is (like you said), he’s an old fashioned dinosaur, you know the kind who’s been left behind because hockey has gone forward so fast, with all the fancy stats and shit.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If I'm Zito

I talk to Brunette tomorrow and I ask the hardest question.

If you were a coach next season... tell me what system and philosophy are you bringing to the table

If it's Quenneville's you let him go

If its a philosophy different from what you believe we need to win, you let him go.
Yes, and not just the philosophy of the system but how he relates to the players. Practice, practice, practice.

You know, I dislike Kuch’s cheating as much as anyone but I also do notice his focus in the game is Vasy-like. We need a coach who recognizes focus and desire and pumps that into people so that they don’t have to go pump up in the strip clubs for motivation.

Reactions: PSLguy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad