OT - NO POLITICS Only 2 1/2 more months of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Fire alarm went off at work. Don't know yet if it's a drill or the real thing. At least the weather is beautiful...

Well.... Here come the trucks, guess it's not a drill

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
There's not really any political leaning attached to my post. The protests I listed are the ones that seemingly aren't wearing masks so I imagine the infection chances are much higher than other gatherings.

You're a little too quick to judge.

Fair enough. That said, don't you think it would be great if we KNEW those particular protests led to more infection, rather than just "imagining" it? I mean we know the demographic breakdown of people in these protests too, as well as the demographic breakdown of people who've been more susceptible, right? Isn't that also relevant to the degree of infection? And isn't the sheer number of protests and people at them relevant too?

Back to my original point...a little actual reporting with follow-up would be a nice change from the media.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I personally could not be paid enough money to go to a rally, protest, sporting event, or party at this point. People that do go are crazy to me, regardless of political belief or affiliation. It's a freaking pandemic. While most people will be fine, you don't know who will be effected negatively, and who's even carrying it. Which is why any gathering to me is a risky proposition.

I mean shit, I still won't go out to eat with either inside and outside seating. I just don't want to take the chance, regardless of how minimal.

But then you wouldn't be able to post a new profile pic showing all your followers you're down with the cause, whichever one that may be..

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But then you wouldn't be able to post a new profile pic showing all your followers you're down with the cause, whichever one that may be..

Hahahahaa! My social media presence is basically non-existent, so I don't think this is a reason to take unnecessary risks. I've done takeout a handful of times, but even then, I get a little leery. No f***ing shot of seeing my ass sitting in a bar or restaurant as of now. lol

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Congratulations! Babies light up the room, the house, and our lives more than anything I've experienced.
Although I had only one daughter and brought her up from the age of 5 I never felt that I could stop to enjoy her as much as I could've because it was a survival thing. When the ex left me with her I went from enjoying her to "what the Hell am I going to do now" mode. After 6 years of being a single father I married another. Well, now my daughter is an inner city SpEd teacher married to her high school sweetheart. They met years after they dated (freshman year of HS) while teaching summer school after each had graduated from grad school. He's a vice principal in an inner city school. I have 4 grandchildren from them and each and every day that I do anything with them is better than the last.
I know it's cliche but it all goes by really fast. Enjoy every day with your new baby and remember that there's a human being in training in there!

This is a wonderful post. Your daughter sounds like a great person. I appreciate the advice.

Reactions: Gordoff

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
The Governor just announced that low risk towns are moving to stage 2 of phase 3 :)

Glad you are able to resume your league
Thanks. Its been so long. Roller hockey on the tennis courts and hiking the mountain can only go so far. That and plenty of fishing.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That had to hurt. Not sure why someone would want that, or actually do that surgery - but to each his own..
Despite the setbacks, Helaine said he would stick with his chosen career. “I’m a primary school teacher … I love my job.”
He said he started getting tattoos at the age of 27 when, while teaching at a private school in London, he had an “existential crisis.” Since then, he said, “Getting tattoos is my passion.”

He said he hoped to show his pupils that they should accept people who are different from the norm. “Maybe when they are adults they will be less racist and less homophobic and more open-minded,” he said.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I would love to visit Cork sometime Mr Irish, it is my Grandparents home town. I have never flown however and I am surely not enough of a swimmer to ever make it that way! I no longer do the pint, but if I ever got the nerve to fly maybe we could meet at Rory Gallagher Place, my other favorite son of Cork. There had been talk at one time of renaming the airport in his memory, did that ever occur?

No it's still just boring old Cork Airport which is a shame. Come to think of it now actually, no airport here is named after anyone, I wonder if there is a reason behind that? Bit of a wasted opportunity if not.
There are plenty of nice cafés around Rory Gallagher place, I'll treat you to a tea or coffee instead should you ever make the trip.

Reactions: aguineapig

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Despite the setbacks, Helaine said he would stick with his chosen career. “I’m a primary school teacher … I love my job.”
He said he started getting tattoos at the age of 27 when, while teaching at a private school in London, he had an “existential crisis.” Since then, he said, “Getting tattoos is my passion.”

He said he hoped to show his pupils that they should accept people who are different from the norm. “Maybe when they are adults they will be less racist and less homophobic and more open-minded,” he said.

I read the article.

I get some people are into tattoos, have some friends that are covered with them and they are good people. I just don't get the eye surgery, sounds risky and i wouldn't risk my vision.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I read the article.

I get some people are into tattoos, have some friends that are covered with them and they are good people. I just don't get the eye surgery, sounds risky and i wouldn't risk my vision.

It is dangerous and can lead to vision loss. But regardless. Even if you're into the whole body modification scene, which this guy clearly is, you have to realize the impact that lifestyle may have on your career. This guy is a teacher and putting ink all over your face and having your eye whites blacked out is something that quite a few schools would have reservations about on their staff. So doing this was no question going to limit his job offers and places where he can teach. Fair or not, it's about choices. His was to do that, and it's the school system's choice to not keep him employed.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I just made the stark realization that this forum, too, needs moderation - and that just seems frankly unbearable, lol. Honestly, my hat goes off to all the selfless people who do that work for the betterment of the community. No clue if there's any form of compensation for it, but my point remains regardless.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
PXL_20200927_094416914.jpg

Autumn/fall is well and truly on its way here. It is by far my favourite season and October in particular my favourite month as it is peak autumn.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I just made the stark realization that this forum, too, needs moderation - and that just seems frankly unbearable, lol. Honestly, my hat goes off to all the selfless people who do that work for the betterment of the community. No clue if there's any form of compensation for it, but my point remains regardless.

Typically in the OT, there's very little flare up. Most people come to this section on our site to just chill out and take a break from some of the arguments on the rest of the site. Obviously the world being in the state it's in currently has impacted that quite a bit, but I'm sure this place will, at some point, get back to being the fun space where people can leave their disagreements about players and the team at the door and just have a few laughs.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It's just going to get worse and cases in children will continue to rise because of reopening the schools. This should have always been about protecting the most precious asset this country has, the future generation. Instead it became a fight became a political fight and completely disregarded the actual science behind this virus. f***ing shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce