OT - NO POLITICS Only 2 1/2 more months of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It's college, what do they expect the kids to do? Of course they're going to party because they feel bulletproof all the time. If I were in school now, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

Very true.

You know my stance, but I’d like more follow up when these “issues” happen as to what the actual effect is. The media spends so much time trying to unearth areas of bad news and provide people opportunities to judge others, and so little effort following up when they happen. This party is no different than the countless protests...where’s the talk of what happened Covid-wise in any of these areas as a result? Seems like that oughta be relevant.

To me the lack of follow up is indication that the media doesn’t want people to gain perspective, or lose their interest in outrage.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It's college, what do they expect the kids to do? Of course they're going to party because they feel bulletproof all the time. If I were in school now, I'd probably be doing the same thing.
I'm ok with that, as long they keep partying together and stay together for the next 8 months. Stay there don't go home, we'll send you boxes of peanut butter and jam with slice bread.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Very true.

You know my stance, but I’d like more follow up when these “issues” happen as to what the actual effect is. The media spends so much time trying to unearth areas of bad news and provide people opportunities to judge others, and so little effort following up when they happen. This party is no different than the countless protests...where’s the talk of what happened in any of these areas as a result? Seems like that oughta be relevant if we actually cared about spread and deaths rather than just finding ways to get angry.

To me the lack of follow up is indication that the media doesn’t want people to gain perspective, or lose their interest in outrage.
There might be a difference on the amount of exchanged bodily fluids.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm ok with that, as long they keep partying together and stay together for the next 8 months. Stay there don't go home, we'll send you boxes of peanut butter and jam with slice bread.

Well sure, that's the problem. The go out, party, become unwitting carriers and then spread it. Repeat. A guy I work with had his kid get exposed by a roommate that went to a party day one of school. The kid exposed his 5 roomies and they all got sick. Initially, it was just one, and that kid was going to get tossed out until a clean test, but then the suite mates got it and they all got stuck in lock down.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Very true.

You know my stance, but I’d like more follow up when these “issues” happen as to what the actual effect is. The media spends so much time trying to unearth areas of bad news and provide people opportunities to judge others, and so little effort following up when they happen. This party is no different than the countless protests...where’s the talk of what happened Covid-wise in any of these areas as a result? Seems like that oughta be relevant.

The media is and has always been about the sensationalism. Don Henley was spot on with his cheesy Dirty Laundry song from back in the day. I don't look to them for much other than opinion at this point. I literally laughed out loud when I saw the "reports" that the Sturgis rally caused 200K cases of Covid, when I read that it was just them extrapolating data and making assumptions. Not to say that I don't think people were all safe and that nobody there got exposed/sick either, just couldn't get on board with their clearly sensationalized and exaggerated numbers.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
There might be a difference on the amount of exchanged of bodily fluids.

Haha...true!

My point still stands though. We know there's no 'stopping' the spread so it's about the grey area. When we hear about parties, or protests, it's unfortunate that some folks aren't doing their part or choosing their own priorities, but the time spent on judging them and acting like it isn't gonna happen seems wasted. How about some actual effort following up on the end result?

Reactions: Gordoff

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I hate this dude so much
2279B500-1BF1-436C-8E6B-835CB59BDE2F.jpeg

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The media is and has always been about the sensationalism. Don Henley was spot on with his cheesy Dirty Laundry song from back in the day. I don't look to them for much other than opinion at this point. I literally laughed out loud when I saw the "reports" that the Sturgis rally caused 200K cases of Covid, when I read that it was just them extrapolating data and making assumptions. Not to say that I don't think people were all safe and that nobody there got exposed/sick either, just couldn't get on board with their clearly sensationalized and exaggerated numbers.

And, of course, because they never report the cases that arise from the countless social awareness rallies as they're aligned politically with those folks.

But politics aside, if people TRULY care about containing the spread, it should be about education, not biased sensationalism. When we see these parties and protests, why not report on the end result? If these parties lead to cases and then deaths, I would think we'd have a better chance of appealing to folks to stop. And if they lead to more cases but deaths remain the same, do we learn something from that? And if they don't lead to much of an uptick, why not?

At least to me our national and local response just seems to lack any logic. It seems like a political/emotional agenda with no desire to treat people like adults or members of a society. Classic example is the MA travel ban, where I live. I defy someone to defend the logic behind it.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Haha...true!

My point still stands though. We know there's no 'stopping' the spread so it's about the grey area. When we hear about parties, or protests, it's unfortunate that some folks aren't doing their part or choosing their own priorities, but the time spent on judging them and acting like it isn't gonna happen seems wasted. How about some actual effort following up on the end result?
Agreed, some do but not many.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Very true.

Yea good point. I am really curious how much the cases boom a week or two after these anti mask and blue lives matter protests.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Doyles, is that the bar a few minutes walk from the Samuel Adams brewery? If so, I hope all goes well. We wandered down to there when we were over in Boston, and the owner/gentleman behind the bar let my wife go around the bar to the heater as she was freezing cold in the balmy December weather you have there :) Really nice gesture.
Just saw your post, welcome!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And, of course, because they never report the cases that arise from the countless social awareness rallies as they're aligned politically with those folks.

But politics aside, if people TRULY care about containing the spread, it should be about education, not biased sensationalism. When we see these parties and protests, why not report on the end result? If these parties lead to cases and then deaths, I would think we'd have a better chance of appealing to folks to stop. And if they lead to more cases but deaths remain the same, do we learn something from that? And if they don't lead to much of an uptick, why not?

At least to me our national and local response just seems to lack any logic. It seems like a political/emotional agenda with no desire to treat people like adults or members of a society. Classic example is the MA travel ban, where I live. I defy someone to defend the logic behind it.

I think the end result is a touch convoluted based on a lack of strong contact tracing, especially for the protests, rallies, and parties like we've been talking about here. It's hard to know for sure who crossed paths at a thing like a party. But you're correct in that the education piece is missing. It's become so divided that it's hard to get the percentage of people needed to make the precautions effective. We had a positive test in my tiny little town last week. The school notified all the people he'd come into contact with because they're doing school by pods. You have 10-12 students and a teacher per, and they do everything together. So that tracing was easy. Not so easy to track though? The same kid went to a basketball court in town and played pickup ball with a slew of other kids after knowing he was positive. So the school put all the kids in his pod on quarantine, but that doesn't really cover it all since the kid was an idiot and went out and interacted with other kids despite being positive.

Reactions: Spooner st

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So I'm gearing up to hike Mount Washington on Saturday and I already want to vomit. Who has hiked the Tucks trail in the fall and can tell me that I'll be ok? 35 and in decent health. Zero conditioning. A weak back and prone to headaches. Minor dehydration ruins me quickly
C'man man, drive the classic car up there. No reason to risk your back unless it's one of those milestone things that you simply want to accomplish. You're too young for a "bucket list" at this point in your life IMO...:) Have you ever climbed the stairs at Mt. Royal in Mon'real to the top of the mountain?

Reactions: LSCII

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Craziest year of my life. Had our baby on September 1st, moved to small town NH literally that same day, have no job but that’s fine, just changing diapers and hanging with family. I’m enjoying it quite a lot.
Congratulations! Babies light up the room, the house, and our lives more than anything I've experienced.
Although I had only one daughter and brought her up from the age of 5 I never felt that I could stop to enjoy her as much as I could've because it was a survival thing. When the ex left me with her I went from enjoying her to "what the Hell am I going to do now" mode. After 6 years of being a single father I married another. Well, now my daughter is an inner city SpEd teacher married to her high school sweetheart. They met years after they dated (freshman year of HS) while teaching summer school after each had graduated from grad school. He's a vice principal in an inner city school. I have 4 grandchildren from them and each and every day that I do anything with them is better than the last.
I know it's cliche but it all goes by really fast. Enjoy every day with your new baby and remember that there's a human being in training in there!

Last edited:

aguineapig

Thanks Aussie, if you ever make it to Cork I'll buy you a pint, provided there are any pubs left.
I would love to visit Cork sometime Mr Irish, it is my Grandparents home town. I have never flown however and I am surely not enough of a swimmer to ever make it that way! I no longer do the pint, but if I ever got the nerve to fly maybe we could meet at Rory Gallagher Place, my other favorite son of Cork. There had been talk at one time of renaming the airport in his memory, did that ever occur?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yea good point. I am really curious how much the cases boom a week or two after these anti mask and blue lives matter protests.

Sure those as well. I mean the fact you and I have to list out our chosen protests to declare our political leaning seems weird too right? You take issue with protests that obviously you don't align with, like anti-mask or blue lives matter. That's fine. I wonder why those protests get so much attention from the media but the protests for every other social justice issue, which seem larger and more frequent, get a free pass except on Fox News. Either way, its people gathering in groups that matters here right? Who cares why they're doing it?

Reactions: RoccoF14

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sure those as well. I mean the fact you and I have to list out our chosen protests to declare our political leaning seems weird too right? You take issue with protests that obviously you don't align with, like anti-mask or blue lives matter. That's fine. I wonder why those protests get so much attention from the media but the protests for every other social justice issue, which seem larger and more frequent, get a free pass except on Fox News. Either way, its people gathering in groups that matters here right? Who cares why they're doing it?

I personally could not be paid enough money to go to a rally, protest, sporting event, or party at this point. People that do go are crazy to me, regardless of political belief or affiliation. It's a freaking pandemic. While most people will be fine, you don't know who will be effected negatively, and who's even carrying it. Which is why any gathering to me is a risky proposition.

I mean shit, I still won't go out to eat with either inside and outside seating. I just don't want to take the chance, regardless of how minimal.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think the end result is a touch convoluted based on a lack of strong contact tracing, especially for the protests, rallies, and parties like we've been talking about here. It's hard to know for sure who crossed paths at a thing like a party. But you're correct in that the education piece is missing. It's become so divided that it's hard to get the percentage of people needed to make the precautions effective. We had a positive test in my tiny little town last week. The school notified all the people he'd come into contact with because they're doing school by pods. You have 10-12 students and a teacher per, and they do everything together. So that tracing was easy. Not so easy to track though? The same kid went to a basketball court in town and played pickup ball with a slew of other kids after knowing he was positive. So the school put all the kids in his pod on quarantine, but that doesn't really cover it all since the kid was an idiot and went out and interacted with other kids despite being positive.

So true! And your example underscores the fact that maybe the sheer fact these kids circulate with tons of other kids outside their pods tells us that the pods/hybrid models aren't really necessary. Kids are kids, and they ARE going to circulate with others.

My kids are in a suburb school system with a hybrid model and "pods". Then they come home and go to hockey practice with a set of different kids. Then they go to flag football and hang out with all different kids from different pods and even different schools. And my kids are not unlike 100% of the kids in the town from age 6 through high school. So, if they all do this for a month or so and the town case total only increases some small amount or stays the same, why isn't that extremely important for people to know? Why would it be more important to report to the parents of the town when one kid tests positive vs. "all the kids in this town are basically intermingling within a few degrees of separation and have been for several weeks, and guess what, it doesn't mean a damn thing"?

I'm not saying that will remain the case, but if it does for a while, will that be the major news? Or will the major news continue to be the small number of cases in town?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

There's not really any political leaning attached to my post. The protests I listed are the ones that seemingly aren't wearing masks so I imagine the infection chances are much higher than other gatherings.

You're a little too quick to judge.

Reactions: Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
C'man man, drive the classic car up there. No reason to risk your back unless it's one of those milestone things that you simply want to accomplish. You're too young for a "bucket list" at this point in your life IMO...:) Have you ever climbed the stairs at Mt. Royal in Mon'real to the top of the mountain?

I wouldn't take that car out of the garage if there was a cloud in the sky, nevermind subject it to Mount Washington and a day trip up from south shore MA.

I'm just going along with the lady. She's done it before. There are 7 people in our group I think, I fall right in the middle age-wise. I think I will make it just fine but I'll be hurting for a few days afterward. I convinced m'lady to get a room up in the area Friday night, which means I can be on the road at 7am rather than 3am. I'm not concerned about the hike so much as I am the drive home. Usually after a full day on the slopes I get a little sleepy coming back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad