Ongoing Powerplay Discussion

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
The question isn't whether there's room for improvement. Obviously there is. The question is how that change is supposed to come. I want Fraser to be fired but if he isn't you can't look at the players and say they're underachieving. They aren't. That's the point I was trying to make. It doesn't matter who plays on the PP units and complaining about one player over another doesn't make a difference. It's the PP itself that's flawed and it doesn't help that we lost players that were good on the PP. Adding Spezza might be the only reason we're not 30th on the PP right now and even with him we're worse.

Ultimately we're both agreeing that Fraser needs to be fired but I'm just trying to explain why the PP is worse when our offense is better and why playing Klingberg over Daley for example is ultimately not going to make much of a difference.

I see what you're saying now. Bottom line, something has to change and the most obvious choice is coaching. Klingberg on the point should also help though. But even if it doesn't, he should still be out there just to get more experience QB'ing a PP in the NHL, he is obviously the future at that position for this team.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Never expected to read this about Klingberg:

“He struggled for a little bit, and now we’re going to try to give him another look,” Ruff said. “I think he’s ultimately the power play guy for us, and if it looks at times like it’s too much for him, we’ll try to back that off.”

So Ruff thinks Klingberg is the "power play guy," guess he shows it by not utilizing him :laugh:

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I've figured out how to solve our PP problems. Send out Benn Seguin Spezza and Klingberg. As the 5th guy we send out Jordie, but we tell him to defend for the other team. I bet we score at least one PP goal per game doing this.

aloonda*

Never expected to read this about Klingberg:

So Ruff thinks Klingberg is the "power play guy," guess he shows it by not utilizing him :laugh:

:):handclap::shakehead:(:p::D:naughty::amazed::rant::yo::cry::laugh:

I literally don't know which one to use

I am happy to hear this

but

wtf?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
They do seem to eventually making the adjustments, but it takes so long to do so...

This latest change of course feels to me like Nill laying down some directives to the staff. No proof, just a hunch.

MetalGodAOD*

It's not a coincidence the PP is humming after the change to get Klingberg to the top unit.

I said it in the GDT, but he's so decisive and quick with the puck and his movement. He knows exactly what he's going to do before he even gets it, and moves it so quickly. I saw his quick decisions and movement open up about 3-4 lanes in the WPG game alone.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Really all we have to do to avoid having a terrible PP is not make the bizarre choice to keep Klingberg off the PP. He's so good that he can overcome any coaching from Fraser.

aloonda*

Really all we have to do to avoid having a terrible PP is not make the bizarre choice to keep Klingberg off the PP. He's so good that he can overcome any coaching from Fraser.

he moves his feet

who knew that stuff would work?

:naughty::D

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He helps, but they are also finally trying some other looks out there. They have gone away from the perimeter passing game and are instead attacking the net whether by putting someone in the crease or by having guys crash to the net even while the puck is at the point or in the corner. It used to be a PP where all five guys had their butts within three feet of the boards, and it didn't work.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well mostly everyone was fighting for their lives just to maintain possession of the puck. Moving around is a luxury for those who have the time to do so. Which they now have because Klingberg is the distributor who keeps the play moving in the right direction one step ahead of the PKers.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Exactly. The movement of the other 4 guys on the PP all comes back to Klingberg directing play up top. That is what a PP QB does and it is the obvious difference between a guy like Klingberg and a guy like Goligoski. One drives the play and determines what will happen, the other reacts to what opens up.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
photo.php

You're welcome Fraser.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Can definitely get to 20%. Do that and get Kari's SV% north of .910 and the wins will start piling up.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
They do seem to eventually making the adjustments, but it takes so long to do so...

This latest change of course feels to me like Nill laying down some directives to the staff. No proof, just a hunch.

I got that impression with the way Ruff talked about Klingberg. Say what you want about Ruff, but unless we're talking about injuries, he's never been cryptic but when asked about Klingberg on the PP he had a pretty defensive and uncertain tone; almost as if to say "well, he's on the PP isn't he?"

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don't think Nill had anything to do with it. I think it was a natural progression after Ruff saw Klingberg try the role for a bit.

Klingberg got the job before the break when Daley was hurt and looked good. When Daley came back, Ruff gave Daley his PP job back for a few games and saw it go nowhere.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I think a performance that dreadful merits a thread of its own.

What went wrong and how does it get fixed?
Here we are again.

With this much talent, how are we so very, painfully, mid?

Perhaps we should try triple-shifting Heiskanen?

Reactions: LT and Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Harley should def be the primary PP quarterback . He's a scoring threat as well unlike Miro who either makes quick passes mostly to the side or shoots harmless wristers into traffic.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Heiskanen needs to not only be the PPQB, but also the general.

Feel like he needs to shoot more.

Seeing 3,4,5 passes either side before trying a shot. With no real movement occurring.

Get some high low going and start shooting more number 4

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Also Robertson has become pretty useless on the PP . Teams take his shot away from around the circle and he just turns into another guy who just hands the puck off to the next guy in the rotation.

Reactions: Zapp

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Also Robertson has become pretty useless on the PP . Teams take his shot away from around the circle and he just turns into another guy who just hands the puck off to the next guy in the rotation.
I disagree about Robertson.

It's time to take Benn off of the top PP unit. He's the weak point.

And also start giving Harley more of Miro's PP minutes. Harley is more useful there than on the second PK unit. Give Harley's PK minutes to Miro.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I disagree about Robertson.

It's time to take Benn off of the top PP unit. He's the weak point.

And also start giving Harley more of Miro's PP minutes. Harley is more useful there than on the second PK unit. Give Harley's PK minutes to Miro.

Dadonov should get some PP time instead of Benn and Robertson should move closer to the front of the net where Benn is currently doing pretty much nothing.

I like the 2nd unit of the Duchene line + Wyatt . That can stay imho

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd like to see Robertson in a position where he doesn't need to skate as much. Perhaps down around the goal line or in the bumper spot. Feels like his shot would be automatic from that slot position if they could work it there

Reactions: piqued

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I'd like to see Robertson in a position where he doesn't need to skate as much. Perhaps down around the goal line or in the bumper spot. Feels like his shot would be automatic from that slot position if they could work it there

Agreed. Kudos to Robertson for working on his skating, but his focus on skating harder and faster have f***ed up his positioning and decision making. He’s much better when he slows the game down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad