Ongoing Powerplay Discussion

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Ruff's comments on the PP in Heika's latest post are very frustrating. I don't really see any self-awareness, he seems content to blame puck luck, pat the PP on the back and say 'You'll get 'em next time'. No mention of personnel, no mention of sets. The closest he comes to identifying the problem is when he talks about the need for wrist shots that get to the net.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Tomorrow if all three Hemsky, Daley and Ritchie are out, it might inject some new life and personel into the PP.. One could hope Klingberg sees a lot of more time with people who aren't afraid to go to the net.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I hate this team. When we FINALLY get a D who can play the point on the PP we aren't using him. Why hockey god are you tormenting us so?

NukeJukes43

Wonder how long Ruff has before he's on the hotseat. I know probably not until next year, but that scares me. We're stuck with Fraser as long as Ruff is still the coach.

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
That is brutal. We would be in a playoff spot if we had a solid powerplay.

aloonda*

ok

we know it sucks

what would you do to fix it?

(not directed at anyone, just wanted to hear ideas)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
ok

we know it sucks

They don't move the puck back and forth fast enough and accurately enough to get the defense out of shooting lanes and the goalie moving laterally. They look like they are trying to be too cerebral out there without the aggression and sense of urgency. Putting a body in front of the net to screen the goalie, tip point shots, and cleanup rebounds is an absolute must...and we don't do it. Ritchie is going to help with this if they use him correctly. Dirty goals...gotta have them.

Last edited:

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
ok

we know it sucks

It's not rocket science. You can emulate more successful powerplays, and at least have something to use as a foundation.
The guy in the high slot is standing about 5-8 feet too far from the net. This one is extremely basic and could make a huge difference immediately. Right now, that guy is attempting to occupy the space between the defending forwards and dmen. He's there for the quick "shovel pass" from the point man, which seems to be a feature of the stars' powerplay recently. It looks pretty, but it's completely useless. In that position, the player is too far from the net to set a screen, but too close to deflect shots. He's also not in the right position for the high tip or one timer, both of which can be successful (think what Loui used to do on the powerplay, or what Stamkos/Kucherov do now).
They need to practice getting shots through from the point. Right now they either don't even attempt to shoot or they blast it right into the defender's shinpads. That takes away a major weapon and allows the defense to focus on the sideboards and defending the slot.
They should try to use the area behind the net to slow the game down and get the defenders facing the net, making the possibility for someone to "sneak" into a one-timer position. Right now, they use behind the net as a tool to work the puck from one side of the ice to the other. You'll see the skill guys skate all the way around the net without looking to stop and set up, and you'll see the grinder types put the puck against the boards and fight for it. Again, looks pretty because it helps us possess the puck, but rarely leads to scoring chances when the defense can't turn the resulting rim passes into huge slapshots. Instead, the distributors, guys like Spezza and Hemsky, should be stopping behind the net, daring the defenders to come behind the net and leave the low winger open to skate in for a one-timer.

The stars have gotten a bit quicker with the puck. They've incorporated some new ideas into the powerplay, and they've learned to make decisions a bit faster. While that has made the powerplay itself look much prettier, it hasn't resulted in increased production because they aren't going to the bread-and-butter plays that successful teams use to capitalize on the man advantage. That's why I still believe it's a coaching issue, not a personnel one.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This thing has lacked quick, crisp, smart puck movement since Zubov went down and Modano lost a step. That is especially important on the point and it's why your best PP playmaker can't be a forward on the half wall unless you have some damn good shooters on the point for them to feed. Stagnant PP's that rely on goals from one or two players from one or two spots don't work consistently because the opposition keys in on those areas and players. Seguin isn't going to be open much for those 8 foot side of the goal blasts if the PK doesn't respect shots or puck movement from the point.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
This thing has lacked quick, crisp, smart puck movement since Zubov went down and Modano lost a step. That is especially important on the point and it's why your best PP playmaker can't be a forward on the half wall unless you have some damn good shooters on the point for them to feed. Stagnant PP's that rely on goals from one or two players from one or two spots don't work consistently because the opposition keys in on those areas and players. Seguin isn't going to be open much for those 8 foot side of the goal blasts if the PK doesn't respect shots or puck movement from the point.

You're right on the money as far as the issues that the Stars have been trying to correct through coaching recently, I just don't believe it's the correct coaching.

It seems like the players are afraid to make mistakes. No one wants to be the guy who makes the bad play, so instead, they're just holding onto the puck and making the easy play when it appears. They're passing to death. I see it in Klingberg, especially. He has a very underrated shot with plenty of power, and I believe he knows where to place it, but he's been thrown out there as the PP2QB, and he keeps wanting to defer to others instead of using his shot. He doesn't want to be the rookie who made the "rookie mistake."

He shouldn't be the guy running the point from the slot. He should be off to the side, opening up for the one-timer or stepping in off the boards to wrist it with Cole or Ritchie planted firmly in front of the crease.

Look at Hamilton's dagger last night. He has a shot and he was going to use it the whole way, but Kari still had no chance because there was a bruin's rear end directly in his face.

The guys have skill, but they lack confidence. They need a coach who can give them confidence with a strategy that can create high-percentage plays. Every time Seguin misses the net from the left circle, you can see the frustration build...so create a play to get him some shots from the high slot. Let him get his comfort back, and let all the players use their natural skill to create.

MetalGodAOD*

Ruff discussing the powerplay:

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/201...uff-talks-power-play-and-john-klingberg.html/

On Klingberg:

Have you thought about playing John Klingberg more on the power play?

“Yeah, well sometimes Klinger, he overcooks it a little bit and his is a learning process. A young guy sometimes thinks he can get away with a little more…sometimes quicker puck movement and wrist shots to the net. Even bringing the puck up ice, that first read is important, which I think he’s accustomed to doing it as well as we need it, but it’s something that he’s got to be a top power play guy. You need him. You give him time, he’ll be a top power play guy.”

Do teams better understand what Klingberg’s strengths are now?

“Now teams know what he’s doing. Now teams aren’t going for some of the little jukes and jives. Even a couple times last night, I thought he got stalled out because they did a good job fronting him and he didn’t move it. Those are situations where I want him to move that quick. I think those plays were opening up for him. I think when other teams are scouting us and probably showing some video, I think he’s making some of the highlight clips now where before probably he didn’t, because there’s some goals that were scored where the other team will say don’t let him get away with this.”

What’s the process for the coaching staff with young players?

“Some of it is patience. Some of it is just patience. It’s knowing that sometimes the young guys, their one mistake is noticed more than the old guy’s one mistake. For me, it’s trying to show patience. Like the first goal (where Klingberg missed a man crashing the net), for me it’s a tough one. It’s a tough one you don’t want to see anybody make, but it’s a tough one that a young D, maybe not quite ready to play, not quite ready to get his coverage. Here’s where we need to get better and you work with him, you talk to him. I thought he had struggled for a couple games and I spent some with him. I thought he bounced back with a two-goal game. I thought last night for me he had two great opportunities to put in the back of the net. One was just unlucky, it caught the top of Pavelec’s stick or it’s going in. The defending part for me is the thing that I want him to take care of first and he understands that. He understands when he’s not playing well defensively.”

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
"It’s knowing that sometimes the young guys, their one mistake is noticed more than the old guy’s one mistake."

Why is he talking about himself in third person? :)

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I think our PP is really missing Nichushkin. He was a legitimate one time threat as a lefty. Aside from Benn, I don't think we have anyone like that without him.

Teams have been keying in on stopping the one timers to Seguin/Spezza's side, and so without Val or any one time threat on the right side of the ice, our PP continues to be one-dimensional.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think our PP is really missing Nichushkin. He was a legitimate one time threat as a lefty. Aside from Benn, I don't think we have anyone like that without him.

Teams have been keying in on stopping the one timers to Seguin/Spezza's side, and so without Val or any one time threat on the right side of the ice, our PP continues to be one-dimensional.

I don't remember him being on the first unit at all, and I don't remember being impressed by his shot either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad