Waived: Ongoing 2018-19 Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Imagine hating your team, town and teammates so much you're willing to leave that much money on the table....He better have a Plan B lined up
Probably better than getting his name ripped apart in the media and by fans for the next 4 years

I actually have a lot of respect for a guy that realizes he is done in the NHL and rather go and live a happy life.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Kovalchuk didn't and wasn't retiring either...he wanted out of his contract and NJ did too...mutual termination...
There actually is a very specific difference in the CBA between retiring and mutually terminating a contract.

And Kovalchuk's path assured him that NJD couldn't stop him. Retiring is not a mutual decision, if the results on the surface are the same.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
What was Shipachyov?

Yea but he didn't just walk away from a spot on the team, he didn't cut it. Looking for an NHL established player who could play on multiple teams with multiple years on his team who just wanted out for playing from the team so much he was willing to walk away from guaranteed money and willing to play on another NHL team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Imagine hating your team, town and teammates so much you're willing to leave that much money on the table....He better have a Plan B lined up

Assuming he’s half decent with his money, he should have 10+ million in the bank. It’s not unreasonable for a guy who’s spent his whole career (~700 games) in one city, to not want to start over. Especially when it’s a team you never would have agreed to go to if it wasn’t for your agent screwing up.

And he could still sign like a 4 year deal at like 2 million somewhere he actually wants to be. Realistically, he’s probably not leaving 12.5 million on the table. He’s probably leaving like 4 on the table.

Nov 24, 2006
Agreed, this is baffling to me (as an outsider).

Does anyone have the skinny on why he won't play in Buffalo? I mean, that is a team on the rise IMO, there's no hockey reason for it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yea but he didn't just walk away from a spot on the team, he didn't cut it. Looking for an NHL established player who could play on multiple teams with multiple years on his team who just wanted out for playing from the team so much he was willing to walk away from guaranteed money and willing to play on another NHL team.
Can he? In the role that he wants?

Buffalo had a lot of spots up for grabs and Berglund has exactly done anything to take any. Guy has one of the worse PPG on the team

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Agreed, this is baffling to me (as an outsider).

Does anyone have the skinny on why he won't play in Buffalo? I mean, that is a team on the rise IMO, there's no hockey reason for it.
There's really no reason why a player would want to stay on one of the worse teams in the league that is trending down, however Carter wants to stay in LA

Guys want different things. Some guys don't care as long as they are winning, some guys will refuse to move their family regardless of money or how the team is, some guys just want money etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad