Waived: Ongoing 2018-19 Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If I have this correct it’s mutual contract termination? Which... wow if so. Any cap/salary implications?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm curious to see what team signs Berglund, this has probably hurt his reputation somewhat, but he's free bottom-6 depth at this point.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So he basically needs to negotiate a whole new contract to play again.

If he actually wants to, that is. Might be on a plane back to Europe already.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Would he have to clear waivers again? Don't all UFA signing this late in the season have to clear waivers?
I don't think so.

The phrasing is that UFAs who are signing late and have played in another league outside of North America in the season have to go through waivers (CBA 13.23).

BUT, players who play in North America, i.e., the AHL, do have to go through waivers too... so I am not 100% on the rule.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I have no idea..can he sign with another NHL-team?

Considering that Jake Dotchin was able to sign with another NHL team after clearing unconditional waivers and having his contract terminated, I would imagine the answer is yes.

I'm also wondering if the unconditional for Berglund is being called "mutual", but it's more like Dotchin's case where the team has found some "breach of contract" type way out (IE Berglund getting suspending for not reporting). $12.5M is a whole lot to simply agree to walk away from, and unless he's got some huge offer waiting from the KHL, he isn't guaranteed to make anything close to that in the same 3.5 years he had left.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't think so.

The phrasing is that UFAs who are signing late and have played in another league outside of North America in the season have to go through waivers (CBA 13.23).

BUT, players who play in North America, i.e., the AHL, do have to go through waivers too... so I am not 100% on the rule.

Mike Fisher last season gives a little bit of clarity to late UFA signings. He signed on 2/26/18 and didn't have to go through waivers.

I would think that once Berglunds contract is officially "terminated", he's officially a UFA and can sign with another NHL team without waivers as long as he doesn't play in a league outside of NA.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Mike Fisher last season gives a little bit of clarity to late UFA signings. He signed on 2/26/18 and didn't have to go through waivers.

I would think that once Berglunds contract is officially "terminated", he's officially a UFA and can sign with another NHL team without waivers as long as he doesn't play in a league outside of NA.

Fisher was fine bc he hadn't played anywhere at all.

Where I am a little confused still is that the CBA mentions "leagues outside of North America" but then players on AHL only deals who sign have to go through waivers too (Tom Kostpolous is a case of that where he actually got claimed).

But your Dotchin example is a good one that demonstrates Berglund won't need any (unless he signs elsewhere first).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Where I am a little confused still is that the CBA mentions "leagues outside of North America" but then players on AHL only deals who sign have to go through waivers too (Tom Kostpolous is a case of that where he actually got claimed).

But your Dotchin example is a good one that demonstrates Berglund won't need any (unless he signs elsewhere first).

Do AHL players actually have to go on waivers if they’re “called up” immediately though? I always just assumed it was for the purpose of being able to reassign them to the AHL team

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hmmmm maybe you are on to something! :laugh:
He’s right. A player on an AHL contract whom signs with a NHL team does not require waivers. When that contract is signed the player is added to the NHL roster which is why you usually see them being waived the same day as the signing. It’s to now assign them to the AHL. If there was an AHL player signed to a NHL contract and didn’t require waivers to be re-assigned back to the AHL, he would not require waivers at all

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

My recollection of the Kostopoulos waiving was that the Penguins willingly waived him right after signing because they actually wanted him to stay in Wilkes-Barre for the time being. I think the signing was more about giving them some flexibility with some veteran depth already in their system but not technically available to the NHL team.

Upon hunting down some articles, there were a handful that said the Penguins intended to re-assign Kostopoulos to WB once he cleared.

Penguins Sign Forward Tom Kostopoulos
Kostopoulos will be placed on waivers on Tuesday at 12 p.m. If he clears waivers, he will be re-assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Wednesday afternoon.

Veteran forward lands contract with NHL's Penguins
He's been rewarded by the big club after the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins announced today they had signed Kostopoulos to a one-year, two-way contract worth $600,000 in the NHL. However, the Penguins said that Kostopoulos will be re-assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tomorrow after clearing waivers.

It seems some other articles erroneously reported it as Kostopoulos REQUIRING waivers to be signed by the Pens.

I'm trying to think of some other examples of UFA's jumping from the AHL to the NHL that didn't have to go through waivers. Off the top of my head, Jason Williams went from a try out with the Connecticut Whale for the Rangers in 10-11 and then signed with the Stars and didn't have to hit waivers. Although, that was on the previous CBA.

Reactions: uncleben

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He’s right. A player on an AHL contract whom signs with a NHL team does not require waivers. When that contract is signed the player is added to the NHL roster which is why you usually see them being waived the same day as the signing. It’s to now assign them to the AHL. If there was an AHL player signed to a NHL contract and didn’t require waivers to be re-assigned back to the AHL, he would not require waivers at all

I have to think that if the NHL did implement a rule that required waivers for NHL UFA's playing in the AHL if they sign an NHL contract mid-season, the NHLPA and AHL would end up having a less than enthusiastic opinion of it.

Eventually NHL teams would probably look at signing a guy from the AHL like they do for guys requiring waivers to come in from Europe or did with potentially re-calling guys that were subject to re-entry waivers on the old CBA.... not worth the hassle or risk. It would then probably deter NHL experienced players from signing AHL contracts at all if they still have NHL aspirations and/or make playing in the KHL/Europe more attractive, which would somewhat be a blow to the talent level (and marketability) in the AHL. The NHLPA would probably not like that it somewhat complicates/closes a pathway to the NHL (and of course increased membership and dues for them) for a certain group players.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
That makes so much sense :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad