Waived: Ongoing 2018-19 Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Hurts sooooo much!

Now, I don't have so much sympathi with you, as you are the team you are. :naughty:

But I think claiming a goalie should cost a fourth-rounder (or higher, if the claiming team don't have one.)

Goalies are special.

Reactions: TAYGB52

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So if that's the case I guess the next question is to ask why the Wild waived him if he's already on their final roster.
The Salary cap is calculated daily. Any unused space one day can be saved and used later.

Thus open salary cap space can be accumulated in an effort to trade for a more expensive player later in the season.

Olofsson being sent down would save the Wild his daily cut from his $725k salary... that daily cut adds to the already $1.77m in space.

So as the season goes on and that space goes unused and total dollars left to pay are reduced on players, a team can slowly but surely afford more and more expensive players as it goes.

Any team with playoff aspirations who are close to the cap should consider that fact at this point. It could be pivotal in potential trade deadline deals later.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Buyout??
At this time of the year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen???

Also, isn't he injured?
Last I heard he was not clear to play this season and does not think he will be able to play again so he is retiring.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I hope he does, he's good enough to be a backup and deserves a shot. Flyers have enough goalies in their system now haha
Yeah but the Flyers had almost nobody healthy and felt the need to go get someone else's waiver guy instead of keeping Stolarz. So a team desperate in goalies felt the need to move on.

I won't be shocked if someone takes a chance on him but no team wanting to be a playoff team is going to hand over their back up duties to him. Would take a rebuilding team hoping that he has something untapped still.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Now, I don't have so much sympathi with you, as you are the team you are. :naughty:

But I think claiming a goalie should cost a fourth-rounder (or higher, if the claiming team don't have one.)

Goalies are special.

Your claim that goalies are special is acknowledged by the NHL...claiming waived goalies DOES cost more than other players (waiver prices), as long as they have 5 years or less experience. And they are also more exempt from waivers than other players.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Stolarz has a lot of potential, any team that is looking for a goalie project should claim him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad