Confirmed with Link: One year contract at $1.6M for Teddy Purcell

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Was that from 2014 or 2013? 2012 playoffs is probably GOAT for gifs in general. Gave us the Penner pancakes, Doty face, Boat party, Kesler tumbleweed, the Bruins knocking over the glass... was Sad Stu, Ovie controller and the Lucic nutcracker that year too or am misremembering some of those?

On topic, solid signing. Should be in Sutter's doghouse playing next to Lewis by December.

I think that was 2012. It was either 2012 or 2013 because we didn't play the Blues in 2014 plus Penner wasn't on the team in 2014.

But regardless I actually like this signing. Definitely low risk, high reward. It's good to have Teddy back. I don't remember too much about him since that was around the time I started watching the Kings.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This still gets me every time

pennercakes.gif

Looks like a Blades of Steel goal. everything about it.

:laugh:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
One of the greatest gifs ever.

Was that from 2014 or 2013? 2012 playoffs is probably GOAT for gifs in general. Gave us the Penner pancakes, Doty face, Boat party, Kesler tumbleweed, the Bruins knocking over the glass... was Sad Stu, Ovie controller and the Lucic nutcracker that year too or am misremembering some of those?

On topic, solid signing. Should be in Sutter's doghouse playing next to Lewis by December.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hoping this is a glimpse of what he could do if placed on a line with Kopitar and Gaborik. Pretty slick puck movement between Purcell, Draisaitl and Hall. Purcell starts the play to with a nifty pass to lead to a breakout.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm not sure Purcell will work well with Kopitar.

I think the same, but it is still a really smart signing. Purcell has a lot more experience and his abilities have grown quite a bit. I don't see him as being a major offensive threat, but that is a fantastic contract and it is an easy trade if things don't work out for free assets.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Well then he can play with Carter and Pearson/Toffoli, they don't have to keep that line together, it hasn't been really good for an extended period since 2015.

Look at their career numbers, Carter has more goals than assists, and Purcell has more assists than goals. Purcell by a 2 to 1 ratio. The only reason Carter plays center on this team is because Richards fell apart. Could be a combo worth exploring.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was never a huge Purcell fan and I think this team is MUCH softer coming into this year, but the dollar value attached to this signing is a ****ing bargain. He can play anywhere in the top-9.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Look at their career numbers, Carter has more goals than assists, and Purcell has more assists than goals. Purcell by a 2 to 1 ratio. The only reason Carter plays center on this team is because Richards fell apart. Could be a combo worth exploring.

Honestly, that was my thought, Purcell playing with goal scorers in Carter and Toffoli (or another playmaker with a good shot in Pearson) might be better. Kopitar has had a bad habit of deferring too much, and playing with Toffoli/Pearson and Gaborik would help make the best of the situation.

I was never a huge Purcell fan and I think this team is MUCH softer coming into this year, but the dollar value attached to this signing is a ****ing bargain. He can play anywhere in the top-9.

I agree. Just seems the lack of skill from the other options to fill that Top 6 spot (King, Mersch, Lewis etc) make him a natural fit.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

The defense is for sure softer, but if we run a fourth line of Clifford-Latta-Andreoff we'll be ok.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
The defense is for sure softer, but if we run a fourth line of Clifford-Latta-Andreoff we'll be ok.

that is one nasty line. I like it. May not score much but will beat down the other team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Likewise, I did not think much of his play during his first stint here, but then again, Terry Murray tried to make him into a grinder and had him playing with Handzus and Kyle Calder.

Maybe his experiences in Tampa Bay, Edmonton and Florida has made him a better overall player. He seemed to do well in Florida after the trade deadline, registering 11 points in 15 games with the Panthers.

It also helps that he can play the left point on the PP, as you see him doing on this goal that he scored as a Panther, https://www.nhl.com/video/purcell-finishes-jagrs-feed/t-277437408/c-43635503

I also like that he can score on the attack, as demonstrated from these left-to-right passes between Hudler and Purcell on both of these clips,
https://www.nhl.com/video/purcell-buries-a-one-timer/t-277443714/c-43383703
https://www.nhl.com/video/purcells-early-goal/c-43504303

Couple more goals from this past season,
https://www.nhl.com/video/purcells-100th-career-goal/t-277443714/c-42721103
https://www.nhl.com/video/purcells-power-play-goal/t-277437406/c-40335003
https://www.nhl.com/video/purcells-goal-opens-the-scoring/t-277437406/c-40608703

Consistency has been an issue with him, but watching him play, you can see that he has a goal scorers touch and has a knack for getting his shot through and finding holes. He knows his way around in the offensive zone.

I know 43 points doesn't really jump out at anyone nowadays, but that actually would place Purcell in the top 30 in scoring among NHL RWs (tied with Joel Ward as the 27th highest scoring RW).

Purcell's points per game were equal to that Jarome Iginla, and better than Nyquist, Ward, Niederreiter, Silfverberg, Pominville, Pastrnak, Versteeg and Brouwer.

Given the dollar amount, it's a great signing considering what he may be able to do if he clicks with Kopitar.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
These 43 points will likely translate to six, seven-ish points on the Kings.

I'm hoping for 10 goals and 25-30 assists from him. I think that is a fair range for his role. Though I'd expect the team would hold him to a higher standard.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm trying to think of any players who have seen their numbers go up after joining the Kings from another team.

Hmm. Yeah. No one. What do we think the offense is going to look like next season?

Pearson - Kopitar - Gaborik
Brown - Carter - Toffoli
King - Lewis - Purcell

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not too happy with this Kings roster.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Hmm. Yeah. No one. What do we think the offense is going to look like next season?

Pearson - Kopitar - Gaborik
Brown - Carter - Toffoli
King - Lewis - Purcell

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not too happy with this Kings roster.

Don't think the lines are gonna look like that. Sutter will have 9 forwards to throw into his line blender. Whether or not these 9 forwards can keep up in this current NHL is the issue. And teams can now lock down on Kopitar and Carter and force these wingers to score goals.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Only $1.6M?? I thought he was worth more. I like this signing, in a good year he can score 45 pts.

Consider that Weise and Martin got contract worth $2.5M.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Everyone who came from Columbus, other than that probably nobody. But I don't blame the players.

For Carter, the points actually went up, but the goals went down. He had 15 goals in 39 games with CBJ (about a 32 goal pace), hasn't topped that in LA, though he surely would have had 12-13 been a full season (had 26 goals in 48 games).

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
These 43 points will likely translate to six, seven-ish points on the Kings.

LOL.

This is why I think GMs should be interested in King players. They always put up better numbers when they leave the Kings.

So, Duhwight King is really a 15 goal, 35 point player and can also play 200 feet. Has 2 rings. So, he's worth 1.9 million for sure to another team. 3rd round draft choice at least.

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
I'm hoping for 10 goals and 25-30 assists from him. I think that is a fair range for his role. Though I'd expect the team would hold him to a higher standard.

Nah that's probably what the team would hope for too. That's 35-40 points, which has pretty much been his range the past few seasons. If he can hit that at 1.6 it's a great signing.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Nah that's probably what the team would hope for too. That's 35-40 points, which has pretty much been his range the past few seasons. If he can hit that at 1.6 it's a great signing.

Probably, but knowing the Kings, Purcell is going to see time on the top 3 lines and power play time. Hopefully he can get some assists in one of those roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00