Confirmed with Link: One year contract at $1.6M for Teddy Purcell

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Speaking of ex-Kings, look at this connection between this Kings alumni trio (and against a former King in net no less)...

Maybe Purcell can get into those open spots that Kopitar likes dishing the puck off to. He seems to at least have a knack for knowing where to be in the offensive zone.

This team really needs a healthy season from Gaborik and for Pearson and Toffoli to make strides in improving on their consistency. A lot has to go right for this team to go far.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Low risk. Sensible. These moves aren't meant to overwhelm you. They were the kinds of moves DL made when he was building the team successfully. This is a transition year that I'm okay with.

Yeah, hamstrung by the cap, the expansion draft, lack of assets. Hunker down, play your system, look forward.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
At least it seems that with Purcell, we shouldn't expect the dumb minor penalties for obstructing Lucic did take consistenly...

Glass-full.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This is the best or second best trade/FA signing the Kings have made since 2014.

Along with Vinny.

It's a decent "budget" signing. Kind of like when they went for Trent Klatt back in 2003. Ended up with 43 points in his lone season with the Kings (3rd highest on the roster). I would expect a similar output out of Purcell and will be surprised if he notches more than that.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It's a decent "budget" signing. Kind of like when they went for Trent Klatt back in 2003. Ended up with 43 points in his lone season with the Kings (3rd highest on the roster). I would expect a similar output out of Purcell and will be surprised if he notches more than that.

Klatter was a good signing. Would've loved to see him play longer in L.A.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Best case scenario is that everyone plays well over their head and the Kings do fine in the playoffs. Or guys get hurt or just suck and we get a lottery pick either way were golden.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This still gets me every time

pennercakes.gif

One of the greatest gifs ever.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm not over reacting but I think it's going to be a long season unless guys like Carter and kopi just dominate.

It's gonna be a long season no matter what. There's no help on D and Doughty, as good as he is, can't play both sides of the ice for 40 minutes a game all year. Barring a miracle (as you mentioned), this next season is a wash.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Best case scenario is that everyone plays well over their head and the Kings do fine in the playoffs. Or guys get hurt or just suck and we get a lottery pick either way were golden.

Of course if they don't make the playoffs, the kind of pick they will likely get (10th or later) won't produce an immediate impact player. Unless, as you say, injury is the cause, then all bets are off.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
It's gonna be a long season no matter what. There's no help on D and Doughty, as good as he is, can't play both sides of the ice for 40 minutes a game all year. Barring a miracle (as you mentioned), this next season is a wash.

Don't see the playoffs with this team as of today. I'm shocked Darryl agreed to return to a team that focused on bottom 6 and depth/injured defensemen. This team actually got slower this offseason.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Don't see the playoffs with this team as of today. I'm shocked Darryl agreed to return to a team that focused on bottom 6 and depth/injured defensemen. This team actually got slower this offseason.

Me neither. And, even if they get there Sutter will have run all the top guys into the ground again.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
You guys must be fun at parties.

Good, cheap signing. I'm fine with these one year deals.

You saying us patients should have patience? I'm not a fan of dumpster diving, I've seen it too many times as a King fan. Dean did his best Dave Taylor impersonation today.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
You saying us patients should have patience? I'm not a fan of dumpster diving, I've seen it too many times as a King fan. Dean did his best Dave Taylor impersonation today.

What in the world were the Kings supposed to do today? Sign a free agency to a ridiculously overpriced contract that would put us in an even worse situation than before? Nielsen, Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, and Loui all got paid quite well until they're 35 and above. Sign a defenseman to a deal that even if he wanted more than 1 year wouldn't be on the team next year because the Kings are protecting Drew, Muzzin, and Martinez?

With the cap space we had there was obviously nothing but low paid guys and a skilled forward that's affordable, or we're banking on 100% health on the front line, King/Brown being good enough where 1 is a legit top 6 forward, or having a young guy succeed with no backup plan.

Not everything is a major move

I'm an Eagles fan, teams don't win with all the huge moves

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
One of the greatest gifs ever.

Was that from 2014 or 2013? 2012 playoffs is probably GOAT for gifs in general. Gave us the Penner pancakes, Doty face, Boat party, Kesler tumbleweed, the Bruins knocking over the glass... was Sad Stu, Ovie controller and the Lucic nutcracker that year too or am misremembering some of those?

On topic, solid signing. Should be in Sutter's doghouse playing next to Lewis by December.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
What in the world were the Kings supposed to do today? Sign a free agency to a ridiculously overpriced contract that would put us in an even worse situation than before? Nielsen, Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, and Loui all got paid quite well until they're 35 and above. Sign a defenseman to a deal that even if he wanted more than 1 year wouldn't be on the team next year because the Kings are protecting Drew, Muzzin, and Martinez?

With the cap space we had there was obviously nothing but low paid guys and a skilled forward that's affordable, or we're banking on 100% health on the front line, King/Brown being good enough where 1 is a legit top 6 forward, or having a young guy succeed with no backup plan.

Not everything is a major move

I'm an Eagles fan, teams don't win with all the huge moves

Yup. I think (hope) Dean doesn't think the Kings can win the cup next season and will not make a major move that will deplete our assets further.

I'm OK with signing some cheap deals like these, and then wait and see what happens at the expansion draft.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think everyone realizes the predicament DL is in. Its just somewhat depressing knowing the team will be going nowhere.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think everyone realizes the predicament DL is in. Its just somewhat depressing knowing the team will be going nowhere.

He's in a holding pattern until the Toffoli and Pearson extensions are ironed out.

This is like a retooling season where you hope younger players will gain experience, develop and improve and that Lombardi can gain some future assets in exchange of depth players.

I'm really not expecting much this season, save for maybe a playoff spot.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
He's in a holding pattern until the Toffoli and Pearson extensions are ironed out.

This is like a retooling season where you hope younger players will gain experience, develop and improve and that Lombardi can gain some future assets in exchange of depth players.

I'm really not expecting much this season, save for maybe a playoff spot.

My issue with that is that he can iron out an extension for both Pearson and Toffoli now and sign them long term before they put up another productive season. He can sign both as its their last year this way he would have a better idea of what we are looking at next year. Im hoping we get a Toffoli extension done here in the next month

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad