Post-Game Talk: One win away from the Stanley Cup Final! -Habs win game 5 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'd go 5m x 5 and hope for the best. As much as I'd like to see him back with the team. I'm not sure we can go higher than that. Especially with the cap staying pretty much the same for a few years.

Our depth, stemming mostly from low to mid salaries up front, is what makes this version of the Habs. It's both cliche and true.

Phil can get that if the farm system backfills one or several of the departures this Summer. No issue.

If Drouin either comes off the cap or becomes a valuable asset again things look even better. We need that great Habs centre depth the Leafs media are raving about lol.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It honestly might be. Though I think there will be several teams lined up for him, willing to pay more. Colorado is the first team that comes to mind. If we're serious about keeping him. IMO 5mil is the lowest we can offer him. Term can be lowered to say 3 yrs, but again that may be pushing it.

...I personally think that unless he takes a discount from what his camp was apparently asking for before the season, he's either gone (I also think Colorado makes a huge offer) or Bargain Bin matches with a ridiculous offer that hurts us for years to come...

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I never thought I'd say this earlier in the year but bringing back Danault is a must. Suzuki Danault Kotkaniemi is a good C trio to build around. Throw in Evans on the 4th line and that is really good depth down the middle.

I'm the same, never thought id budge on the Danault issue but we need him, Hopefully it just doesnt cost TOO much but...you need a phil danault for the playoffs.. phil as a shutdown C, most of the playoff teams would kill to have.. 5X5 cmon just take it bud

Reactions: SB164

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Our depth, stemming mostly from low to mid salaries up front, is what makes this version of the Habs. It's both cliche and true.

Phil can get that if the farm system backfills one or several of the departures this Summer. No issue.

If Drouin either comes off the cap or becomes a valuable asset again things look even better. We need that great Habs centre depth the Leafs media are raving about lol.

Agreed, we're quite lucky right now that 3 of our 4 top centers are on the low end of the pay scale *Not including Staal in this* Our C depth will take a hit as their salaries in crease. Unless we want to become the Oilers, with 3 high paid C and no real wingers.

As for Drouin, IMO he'll either be on LTIR or traded. As for the depth, I guess it depends on how we draft over the next few seasons. Since after Poehling, I'm not sure who is next in the pipe line.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Agreed, we're quite lucky right now that 3 of our 4 top centers are on the low end of the pay scale *Not including Staal in this* Our C depth will take a hit as their salaries in crease. Unless we want to become the Oilers, with 3 high paid C and no real wingers.

As for Drouin, IMO he'll either be on LTIR or traded. As for the depth, I guess it depends on how we draft over the next few seasons. Since after Poehling, I'm not sure who is next in the pipe line.

Except for Pizza Man they're all babies. :)

Farrell and Tuch will be in Mysak's generation, with hopefully Suzuki & Kotkaniemi both rocking their primes while Pizza Man prepares his graceful exit from the roster in the mid-2020's.

Suzuki
Danault
Kotkaniemi
Evans
Poehling (2022)
Mysak (2023)

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
...I personally think that unless he takes a discount from what his camp was apparently asking for before the season, he's either gone (I also think Colorado makes a huge offer) or Bargain Bin matches with a ridiculous offer that hurts us for years to come...

I honestly can't see him taking too big of a home town discount. If he was asking for 6mil, I can see him dropping to 5.5m maybe 5m. I can't see him going lower than that. Honestly, I think he's getting Gally money and term or close too it. Which IMO would be a huge mistake. I'd rather take a step back and slide Evans into his spot, at a lower rate. Then use money to add a veteran 4th line C, similar to Staal.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I honestly can't see him taking too big of a home town discount. If he was asking for 6mil, I can see him dropping to 5.5m maybe 5m. I can't see him going lower than that. Honestly, I think he's getting Gally money and term or close too it. Which IMO would be a huge mistake. I'd rather take a step back and slide Evans into his spot, at a lower rate. Then use money to add a veteran 4th line C, similar to Staal.

...yup, that's where I see it as well...we can't offer him more than a Toffoli deal or we screw our cap for years to come, and we already have too many contracts doing that...

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Except for Pizza Man they're all babies. :)

Farrell and Tuch will be in Mysak's generation, with hopefully Suzuki & Kotkaniemi both rocking their primes while Pizza Man prepares his graceful exit from the roster in the mid-2020's.

Suzuki
Danault
Kotkaniemi
Evans
Poehling (2022)
Mysak (2023)

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that they're still so young. :)

I don't know enough to comment on Farrell, Tuch or Mysak. Which is one of the reasons I come here, to learn about our prospects. It makes sense to keep Danault, but only to a certain degree. With Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Evans continuing to improve. It's definitely going to cost the team a lot to keep them all under contract.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Can the Habs not ensure Phil gets endorsements in Quebec?

Without Drouin, Phil would a great replacement for Bell and McDonald’s ads.

Unless you're a Crosby or McDavid. The money hockey players receive from endorsements isn't that high. So even if he were to get both of those endorsements. It wouldn't be worth it for him to say drop 1mil per year off his contract demands.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Was afraid Suzuki was going to get Dale Huntered after the goal for a second. Scheifele would have gone for it...

Just the way the 2 guys start following suzuki after he scores it was like oh boy here we f***ing go theyre gonna tackle him, but it was just marsh and karlsson lol, couple of wusses, were fine lol

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I just watched a week or so ago, the battle of all time, Nadal versus Djokovic, now I get this series.

Not complaining but this is almost too much to bear, its so great.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
This is going to sound dumb, maybe even arrogant but I feel like we broke their spirit last game.

we need to score first and just lean on them, let Price and the D do their thing.

I think it’s going to OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad