Post-Game Talk: One win away from the Stanley Cup Final! -Habs win game 5 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
...I personally think that unless he takes a discount from what his camp was apparently asking for before the season, he's either gone (I also think Colorado makes a huge offer) or Bargain Bin matches with a ridiculous offer that hurts us for years to come...

Nah Colorado wont be making any huge splashes, they have to sign the RFA Cale Makar, Their Captain Landeskog is coming off the team friendly deal he signed at like 21, he's now in line for 8 million minimum, and the goalie Grubauer coming off a career year in line to get a raise from his 3.3 mill
There's a reason they have to let Saad walk, theyre strapped

Gotta be more worried about winnipeg going after him imo, stastny's 6 mill coming off the books could go to Phil

Reactions: Roadhouse

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Nah Colorado wont be making any huge splashes, they have to sign the RFA Cale Makar, Their Captain Landeskog is coming off the team friendly deal he signed at like 21, he's now in line for 8 million minimum, and the goalie Grubauer coming off a career year in line to get a raise from his 3.3 mill
There's a reason they have to let Saad walk, theyre strapped

Gotta be more worried about winnipeg going after him imo, stastny's 6 mill coming off the books could go to Phil

...I personally think the Avs try to move Hades & Earth to get rid of Kadri, which is why I think they'll go after Phil as his replacement...they might not be able to afford him, but I think they'll make a push...

Reactions: Runner77

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
...personally, I think $5 mill over 5 years is too much if the Habs eventually hope Kotkaniemi can take over 2nd line duties on a regular basis...in a non-flat cap, I might feel a bit differently...
I want Danault on my team but he has ZERO OFFENSE - you can't use up the big salary cap $ like that. 4.5 per tops for me, otherwise I'm confident in Evans, Poehling and the 2 kids increasing their roles moving forward.

Reactions: Runner77

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Here's Pietrangelo falling into the Habs bench :laugh:

giphy.gif
Like. I missed that during the game. Why did he end up on our bench? It doesn't look like he got hit or anything.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Habano

May 18, 2012
I never thought I'd say this earlier in the year but bringing back Danault is a must. Suzuki Danault Kotkaniemi is a good C trio to build around. Throw in Evans on the 4th line and that is really good depth down the middle.
I agree with you but it has to be at a reasonable aav and he can't pout about not being the #1 centre

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
One thing I feel needs to be said in defense of this team, is they certainly are not boring. I see this complaint about the Habs everywhere on HF Boards. And about the Isles as well. The idea that the Habs and Isles are bringing back the mid-90s Devils trap hockey is a huge exaggeration. We are a defensive-minded team maybe. But we are not boring, certainly not in this series. The Winnipeg series was a snoozer maybe. But this team is quite fun to watch. The emergence of Caufield and Suzuki, Anderson driving the net, Corey Perry surprising everyone with a good playoff effort late in his career, and the underdog factor... all these things make the Habs a pretty fun team to watch.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
It honestly might be. Though I think there will be several teams lined up for him, willing to pay more. Colorado is the first team that comes to mind. If we're serious about keeping him. IMO 5mil is the lowest we can offer him. Term can be lowered to say 3 yrs, but again that may be pushing it.

I haven't looked closely at cap conditions in the league, but I suspect the cap won't be going up in the next couple of years. My understanding is that many teams are already up against the cap. If this is the case, I suspect trends we've seen in the past come to the fore again: top end players get paid, while the top quality role players/depth get squeezed. Danault may not have that much of a market for him north of $4m in these conditions.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I haven't looked closely at cap conditions in the league, but I suspect the cap won't be going up in the next couple of years. My understanding is that many teams are already up against the cap. If this is the case, I suspect trends we've seen in the past come to the fore again: top end players get paid, while the top quality role players/depth get squeezed. Danault may not have that much of a market for him north of $4m in these conditions.

...let's hope not, cuz that's the high water mark for him, imo...anything more than Toffoli is getting would be an overpay that hurts our cap situation for years...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The boring aspect of the game is a problem in the regular season. As...this is an entertainment you're watching...it kinda have to be fun to watch. But who the heck cares about how boring we might be in the playoffs? It's about winning. By any means necessary.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Habano

May 18, 2012
One thing I feel needs to be said in defense of this team, is they certainly are not boring. I see this complaint about the Habs everywhere on HF Boards. And about the Isles as well. The idea that the Habs and Isles are bringing back the mid-90s Devils trap hockey is a huge exaggeration. We are a defensive-minded team maybe. But we are not boring, certainly not in this series. The Winnipeg series was a snoozer maybe. But this team is quite fun to watch. The emergence of Caufield and Suzuki, Anderson driving the net, Corey Perry surprising everyone with a good playoff effort late in his career, and the underdog factor... all these things make the Habs a pretty fun team to watch.

I keep reminding those people that there is a "Power" button on their remote and by pressing it, they won't have to endure any more insufferable boredom.

grape.jpg

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Gotta say...I've been very impressed with Pietrangelo this series.

People say where would the Habs be without Price...

Where would Vegas be in this series without Pietrangelo??

Reactions: Saxon and montreal

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The boring aspect of the game is a problem in the regular season. As...this is an entertainment you're watching...it kinda have to be fun to watch. But who the heck cares about how boring we might be in the playoffs? It's about winning. By any means necessary.

...I always wondered about people that find anything but Fire Wagon hockey "boring"...if hockey, even the most defensive of games in a season, is boring, how in the bloody Hades can you watch Football (both American and European - what we call Soccer here) or Baseball and not be bored out of your mind??...:dunno:

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

Absolutely.. if playing smart and structured is less exciting than playing free and loose, should a team play a more exciting style and play worse simply to look good. It would be staged excitement and incredibly phony. Actually, for the same reason a lot of people might find the world juniors more fun to watch than the NHL.They are young, have far less experience and structure, and some crazy stuff happens.

That said, I don't think these games have been boring at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad