Value of: One of Nashville's Top 4

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
At some point they will have to make an expansion draft decision. Don’t know if that will be forward or D. But you can keep more forwards this way

If they go 4-4-1

Turris. Faila. Johansen. Forsberg. Then lose arvidson I guess?
Josi will be a UFA that off-season. Easiest way is to protect 7-3-1, protecting all the forwards, and complete Josi's extension after the expansion draft.

Reactions: Tex76

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I expect Subban is the one to go. A Subban to Toronto trade who make him a hockey God. Short term, (This season), nope unless you are offering a forward who can score 60 pts in a season. The next off-season, I'm shopping Subban for an upgrade at forward. Subban is the oldest of the big 4 defensemen. It also depends on if the Preds win the cup. If the Preds win the cup, everything goes out the window.
This boggles my mind. He's the best of the 4 and is a whopping year older than Josi/Ekholm and 2 older than Ellis. You don't get better trading away your best player at a position when the underlying reason is he's slightly older than the rest of the group. It would have to be for a massive forward upgrade, and I don't see teams lining up to trade away their elite forward talent, even for Subban.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
[...]

As a take, this reads too much like an "it's not fair, Nashville ought to shake loose one of its star defensemen to make it interesting for the rest of us," rather than a cogent argument for why they should trade one of them.

Haha, I agree with you. But, to be honest, fans of every other team in the NHL feel like it's not fair, and that Nashville should shake loose one of it's star defencemen to make it interesting for the rest of us.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Josi will be a UFA that off-season. Easiest way is to protect 7-3-1, protecting all the forwards, and complete Josi's extension after the expansion draft.
This. I mean, it does make some assumptions/extrapolations... assume all 4 of the D stay healthy and perform as expected, and that Josi will be happy to be a career Predator, eschewing a UFA payday for what is probably at least a Subban-esque contract after the expansion draft. There are 2 full seasons left to watch these things play out. But from this distance it's a reasonable default plan. If something changes, so be it... but no need to cross that bridge until/unless we actually get to it.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This boggles my mind. He's the best of the 4 and is a whopping year older than Josi/Ekholm and 2 older than Ellis. You don't get better trading away your best player at a position when the underlying reason is he's slightly older than the rest of the group. It would have to be for a massive forward upgrade, and I don't see teams lining up to trade away their elite forward talent, even for Subban.

But also, it's also a contract he did not negotiate, the most marketable trade wise.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Basically, you're looking at a slightly less player than you're getting back, and enough of forward upgrade to be worth it.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I don’t think josi or Ellis would be the ones that move if they ever decided to break it up. I’d say ekholm if I’m gonna move any, but if I’m looking at a stud center then sub ban may have to be sacrificed for cap......and it helps that Fabbro is a righty who could probly step right into a 2nd pair role after this year

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Yep that’s a possibility. But he has to be willing to risk an injury without a contract for it to work.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don’t think josi or Ellis would be the ones that move if they ever decided to break it up. I’d say ekholm if I’m gonna move any, but if I’m looking at a stud center then sub ban may have to be sacrificed for cap......and it helps that Fabbro is a righty who could probly step right into a 2nd pair role after this year
Which of the current elite centers are going to be traded by their teams in exchange for Subban?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I think it just proves how unlikely this is considering we just traded for Turris and signed him and Johansen to long term contracts.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Yep that’s a possibility. But he has to be willing to risk an injury without a contract for it to work.
Season ends with a negotiated contract but not signed. Expansion draft happens. After that he signs the contract that was negotiated. No hockey played between that

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Season ends with a negotiated contract but not signed. Expansion draft happens. After that he signs the contract that was negotiated. No hockey played between that

Except for the entire last year of his contract. He could get hurt in the last year of his deal.

That’s why most stars re sign before UFA.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Which of the current elite centers are going to be traded by their teams in exchange for Subban?
None. I don’t think it’s realistic. But as I stated in my post if they decided to break it up, subban or ekholm would be my choice.

Sometimes those moves happen, I mean Johansen for Jones happened lol

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Based on what I have learned from reading these forums, some Leaf fans would offer Nylander. (Whether Nylander is, or could be, an elite C is yet to be determined. :)).

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Except for the entire last year of his contract. He could get hurt in the last year of his deal.

That’s why most stars re sign before UFA.
Not to mention, no matter what kind of "agreement" is met, until an actual contract is signed josi could just sign with a different team at ufa. It would be one heck of a risk by poile that may not pay off. I think after suter (ufa) and Weber (offersheet) he's learning not to let things go too long on his big name free agents

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Not to mention, no matter what kind of "agreement" is met, until an actual contract is signed josi could just sign with a different team at ufa. It would be one heck of a risk by poile that may not pay off. I think after suter (ufa) and Weber (offersheet) he's learning not to let things go too long on his big name free agents
Especially since Suter told him he would have a chance to match and then went back on his word.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
At some point they will have to make an expansion draft decision. Don’t know if that will be forward or D. But you can keep more forwards this way

If they go 4-4-1

Turris. Faila. Johansen. Forsberg. Then lose arvidson I guess?
Arvi wouldn't be unprotected if we were to go that route. I honestly think going after a top forward with 1 of our defenseman wouldn't be a horrible idea. It would have to worth while though

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

The only catch is if Josi becomes an UFA, I don't believe he can sign the max 8 year deal any more, even if he re-signs in Nashville. He can only sign for 7 years and that may be a sticking point.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
The only catch is if Josi becomes an UFA, I don't believe he can sign the max 8 year deal any more, even if he re-signs in Nashville. He can only sign for 7 years and that may be a sticking point.
I think the expansion draft happened about 2 weeks before free agency so if the plan is to get 8 years you still have a window open to do that after the expansion draft. I think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad