Value of: One of Nashville's Top 4

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Let's wait until he plays a game in the bigs before saying something like that. According to fans who watch Fabbro a lot more than I have his upside is a solid, yet unspectacular no.4 defenseman, and from what I've read he's looked hit or miss.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Subban is a top 10 defenseman in the league, especially given his play in the playoffs.

Fabbro at the WJ was steady, but unspectacular.

I think he’ll be fine, but will maybe need another 1-2 years. Preds moving Subban opens multiple options with prospects, picks and cap space.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Fabbro at the WJ was steady, but unspectacular.

I think he’ll be fine, but will maybe need another 1-2 years. Preds moving Subban opens multiple options with prospects, picks and cap space.

Prospects and picks are the last thing we need. We're going for a cup now. Ellis, Josi, Ekholm and Subban are 27-29 and we only need to re-sign Josi, that gives us a solid window to try and win.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
If we fall short of the cup this year, I could see josi or subban shaking loose. That said, expected return would be alot. Some top end prospects that are expansion draft exempt and a lesser replacement/placeholder

Subban for Weber?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
A lot.....
He’s the only one they are gonna have to give a raise he deserves soon. Even if they give him nine mill or whatever Nash can afford all four. Maybe they should trade one for a forward but they already made their bed on their two centres

Last edited:
Reactions: Liferleafer

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Prospects and picks are the last thing we need. We're going for a cup now. Ellis, Josi, Ekholm and Subban are 27-29 and we only need to re-sign Josi, that gives us a solid window to try and win.
Depends on the prospect and rest of return. If we traded josi for a 2nd pairing lhd (stopgap) and some amazing prospects it'd be worth a look. Pair the new fella with Ellis and ekholm/subban eat up major minutes I don't think we would miss a beat

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Depends on the prospect and rest of return. If we traded josi for a 2nd pairing lhd (stopgap) and some amazing prospects it'd be worth a look. Pair the new fella with Ellis and ekholm/subban eat up major minutes I don't think we would miss a beat
Josi and Subban put up 53 and 59 points last year, respectively. Unless we are getting an elite-level forward/prospect in return, I still don't see the point. Unfortunately, there is only one Peter Chiarelli in the league.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Josi and Subban put up 53 and 59 points last year, respectively. Unless we are getting an elite-level forward/prospect in return, I still don't see the point. Unfortunately, there is only one Peter Chiarelli in the league.
All sorts of reasons a team might due it.
1) upper cap limit pressure
2) lower the average age of an otherwise aging d group
3) better spread your allocated funding across-the-board
4) use an area of strength to get better in an area of weakness.

Chiapet poorly managed his assets through bad trade choices and ufa signings that alot of people on this site called out at the time they were done.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You keep’em, unless someone gives you a forward you cannot resist. Preds are a cup favourite with an elite winger, and pretty average centre depth.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
You keep’em, unless someone gives you a forward you cannot resist. Preds are a cup favourite with an elite winger, and pretty average centre depth.

Only way they can avoid being favorite is for goalies to suck.. which is very unlikely since they have two good ones.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Preds only concern is the Salary Cap.

There is no need to make any moves unless they can obtain a significant upgrade in the lineup. Speculation is Duchene is likely and he will cost anywhere from$7M-$8M per. If Ronnie leaves, the Preds can keep everyone and add Duchene.

If there is anyone to be moved, Subban is the most likely choice. His $9M salary will be difficult, but Fabbro can be more than adequate replacement.

It really isn't though, Pekka comes off the books after this season (there is no way he gets 7 mil/year on his next contract) - particularly with his average playoff stats; minus that one year the Preds made the Final, I think/believe that the Preds need to add a big body scoring forward for the playoffs (we were eaten alive by the Jets size/matching of our speed in the playoffs) that's where I was trying to go with this, Winnipeg's combination of size and speed killed us and I don't want that to happen again, if this is the end of Pekka, which it very might well be.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Why trade a top 10 defenseman for a downgrade at defense and a top "prospect" a player that might be good. Only way I would trade Josi is if a top player is coming back. Seguin maybe. But the problem with that is you don't have a replacement for him. Maybe hammer for this year but what about next year?

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
As a Nashville fan I'm sure I overrate our own players, but I can't imagine moving one of the top 4 defenders unless there's a substantial return that makes the team better right now. Like the Weber/Subban trade, which was stunning to me, but made the team better and the age difference resulted in a longer window as contenders. Moving one of the existing top 4 would have to be a trade like that - a 1-for-1 hockey trade where both teams were moving strong players from a position of abundance to shore up a position of need.

The problem is, I don't know what other team matches that right now. Who has multiple star forwards but needs a star defender right now? Or superstar forwards, if they'd want Josi or Subban in return.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Preds only concern is the Salary Cap.

There is no need to make any moves unless they can obtain a significant upgrade in the lineup. Speculation is Duchene is likely and he will cost anywhere from$7M-$8M per. If Ronnie leaves, the Preds can keep everyone and add Duchene.

If there is anyone to be moved, Subban is the most likely choice. His $9M salary will be difficult, but Fabbro can be more than adequate replacement.

Can you share the link? Or is this your love for the Senators shining through again?

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
There really is no reason for the Preds to keep all 4 long term, jmo of course.

Generally curious as what Poile could get for each of:

Ekholm
Josi
Ellis
Subban

Odd opinion...

There is zero reason for the Preds to do that unless:

A) Josi's contract demands are too high for them (like over $10m/per.) I see him signing a long-term deal at around the same Cap as PK.

B) The Preds are offered a lopsided trade in their favor which improves the team for their current cup run.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Can you share the link? Or is this your love for the Senators shining through again?

Senators will struggle this season and could lose their UFAs for nothing. Duchene has long been interested in joining the Preds. So unless Duchene is willing to undergo another rebuild and/or cheap Melynk pays $8M per, accept he leaves and hope for the best package.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I expect Subban is the one to go. A Subban to Toronto trade who make him a hockey God. Short term, (This season), nope unless you are offering a forward who can score 60 pts in a season. The next off-season, I'm shopping Subban for an upgrade at forward. Subban is the oldest of the big 4 defensemen. It also depends on if the Preds win the cup. If the Preds win the cup, everything goes out the window.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
At some point they will have to make an expansion draft decision. Don’t know if that will be forward or D. But you can keep more forwards this way

If they go 4-4-1

Turris. Faila. Johansen. Forsberg. Then lose arvidson I guess?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Senators will struggle this season and could lose their UFAs for nothing. Duchene has long been interested in joining the Preds. So unless Duchene is willing to undergo another rebuild and/or cheap Melynk pays $8M per, accept he leaves and hope for the best package.

Still sounds like your guessing or hypothesizing .....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad