Value of: One of Nashville's Top 4

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There really is no reason for the Preds to keep all 4 long term, jmo of course.

Generally curious as what Poile could get for each of:

Ekholm
Josi
Ellis
Subban

Sure there is, with a top 4 like that, you're likely to be a playoff team year in and year out almost regardless of what your forwards do.

Reactions: exporta and preds1

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Ekholm
Josi
Ellis
Subban

There really isn't a reason to move them. We're in a great position. Maybe Ellis shakes loose by the time the expansion draft happens if Fabbro breaks out by then and we re-sign Josi, but I just don't see why we'd break up our core, especially if the cap stays the same or goes up again.

We currently have 7mil in cap space and when Ellis' extension comes into effect Rinne's contract will be off the books.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia

Ekholm
Josi
Ellis
Subban
Why? If you can manage to retain it, there's never a reason to part with stellar defense when it's under contract and for good value. Nashville is one of the few teams in a position to retain them all. They have plenty of cap space.

Unless they can get a superstar center for one of their top four, when it would definitely make sense (but those situations are rare), I wouldn't consider moving any of them.

The reason is mainly because they are covered in all the other critical areas. They have two good scoring centers (Johansen/Turris), a very good checking center (Bonino), and a star winger (Forsberg). They still have a very good goalie - for now. Upgrade center if you can, but otherwise this team should let it ride.

Assuming they re-sign him, the next time they need to revisit this is when Josi's next contract goes into effect in October 2020 (not as early as the moment he signs it, but when it actually goes into effect). They have two more seasons with all four of them under contract and their entire forward core signed (Fiala/Hartman have one more year, but that's it).

As a take, this reads too much like an "it's not fair, Nashville ought to shake loose one of its star defensemen to make it interesting for the rest of us," rather than a cogent argument for why they should trade one of them.

Reactions: iSophagus

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we fall short of the cup this year, I could see josi or subban shaking loose. That said, expected return would be alot. Some top end prospects that are expansion draft exempt and a lesser replacement/placeholder

Reactions: Dave is a killer

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Sure there is, with a top 4 like that, you're likely to be a playoff team year in and year out almost regardless of what your forwards do.
It's why the Preds have been a consistently competitive regular season team for most of their existence. But the notion that Cup winners don't normally boasting such strong top 4s has increasingly taken hold of Preds fans. That next forward will finally be the one to put us over the top!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There really isn't a reason to move them. We're in a great position. Maybe Ellis shakes loose by the time the expansion draft happens if Fabbro breaks out by then and we re-sign Josi, but I just don't see why we'd break up our core, especially if the cap stays the same or goes up again.

We currently have 7mil in cap space and when Ellis' extension comes into effect Rinne's contract will be off the books.
This is it exactly. If you've got this top-4 and are trying to win a Cup NOW, why mess with it? The Preds are set to chase in 2019 and 2020, they have zero reason to mess with things. Call again in 2020.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Why exactly would Nashville ship any of them? Assuming Tolvanen is an impact player and Saros is a really good starting goalie there isn’t much of a hole on that roster.

The only beneficial situation I could think of would be 2 for 2 trade in which Nashville downgraded on one of their defensemen but upgrades on one of their forwards and the other team does vice versa. That would be fairly tricky to find a team that is in the exact opposite situation and could make the cap work long term.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't see why they need to break up that defense.

If anything, the only thing that franchise needs is...maybe better goalie depth? I Guess?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Josi, Ekholm and Ellis are going to get a lot more expensive in the next little while. Those three were making close to what Subban alone was getting before Ellis was re-signed, so I could see a time when maybe the worst of the four or maybe the most expensive of the four is moved out and Fabbro rotated in.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Josi, Ekholm and Ellis are going to get a lot more expensive in the next little while. Those three were making close to what Subban alone was getting before Ellis was re-signed, so I could see a time when maybe the worst of the four or maybe the most expensive of the four is moved out and Fabbro rotated in.

Ekholm makes 3.75 for another 4 seasons.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
We don’t need to move any of them, Josi gonna get an extension, Subby, Ekky, and Ellis are here for 4+ years. We don’t have to worry about moving them for awhile lol.

There really is no reason for the Preds to keep all 4 long term, jmo of course
Pretty sure those 4 guys are the main reason why we made the Cup, and won the president’s trophy. So I think there’s a very good reason to keep all 4 long term. We need our forwards to step up, and we have a good forward core on paper, but they need to actually go out there and deliver. Especially Johansen, and Turris.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Poile actually just wants to give his old friend Barry Trotz a congratulations present and send one of them to the isles for no reason what so ever

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Preds only concern is the Salary Cap.

There is no need to make any moves unless they can obtain a significant upgrade in the lineup. Speculation is Duchene is likely and he will cost anywhere from$7M-$8M per. If Ronnie leaves, the Preds can keep everyone and add Duchene.

If there is anyone to be moved, Subban is the most likely choice. His $9M salary will be difficult, but Fabbro can be more than adequate replacement.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Preds only concern is the Salary Cap.

There is no need to make any moves unless they can obtain a significant upgrade in the lineup. Speculation is Duchene is likely and he will cost anywhere from$7M-$8M per. If Ronnie leaves, the Preds can keep everyone and add Duchene.

If there is anyone to be moved, Subban is the most likely choice. His $9M salary will be difficult, but Fabbro can be more than adequate replacement.

Let's wait until he plays a game in the bigs before saying something like that. According to fans who watch Fabbro a lot more than I have his upside is a solid, yet unspectacular no.4 defenseman, and from what I've read he's looked hit or miss.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Subban is a top 10 defenseman in the league, especially given his play in the playoffs.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Let's wait until he plays a game in the bigs before saying something like that. According to fans who watch Fabbro a lot more than I have his upside is a solid, yet unspectacular no.4 defenseman, and from what I've read he's looked hit or miss.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Subban is a top 10 defenseman in the league, especially given his play in the playoffs.
Top 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad