Speculation: One of Mark Pysyk or Alex Petrovic will be traded by Fla: Update-Sounds like Florida will keep Pysyk

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Let's get this overwith already and give us a 4th rounder

Reactions: 5 Hole

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Pysyk would be nice on the Penguins bottom pair and a Sheary for Pysyk swap is pretty close to an even salary swap, if that would work for the Panthers.

I'd like Pysyk too but that's an overpayment. Sheary, for all his faults, produces at a top 6 rate and holds his own shot-wise. That's more valuable than a guy we would ideally be using to secure the 3rd pair.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd like Pysyk too but that's an overpayment. Sheary, for all his faults, produces at a top 6 rate and holds his own shot-wise. That's more valuable than a guy we would ideally be using to secure the 3rd pair.

Why does it matter if the Penguins lose the value slightly if they get a player that fills a need for a player that's expendable? People make way too big of a deal about winning value in trades, that's not the point of trades. The Penguins would be giving up a top-9 winger that doesn't have a spot on the team and would be getting a #4 RD that fills arguably their biggest need. I don't really care if the value isn't great because it makes the team better.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Eh seems like lots of Panthers fan say he can't take top 4 usage which worries me.

He can though. Guy just played top-4 minutes and was (as usual) great at supressing shots/chances.

He's pretty mediocre at generating anything so he looks average, but he would be playing beside one of Rielly, Gardiner, or Dermott. Exactly the kind of guy they need.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I made a thread about this a few days ago.

FLA fans, what do you think about this, if the Jets need to move Myers due to being a cap casualty we workout a deal for futures, 15th OA+conditional 2019 pick based on Myers GP and re-signing in FLA (maybe a 3rd? idk) for Tyler Myers.

Move one of Petrovic or Pysyk. Myers cap hit is 5.5M real dollars is 3M

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Myers
Weegar-Pysyk/Petrovic

edit - matheson/myers might be a bit of an 'adventerous' pairing to say the least. don't know anything about Weegar, if he is a sound stay at home defensive guy, would pair him with Myers

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I enjoy how it is all non-Panther fans saying he can play the top 4 but nowhere on the Florida board or no Panther fans here are saying anything other than he is a 3rd pairing guy. Hopefully other GMs are just looking at his corsi and did not actually see him play.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Pysyk seems like a guy Dubas would be all over if he's available.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I made a thread about this a few days ago.

FLA fans, what do you think about this, if the Jets need to move Myers due to being a cap casualty we workout a deal for futures, 15th OA+conditional 2019 pick based on Myers GP and re-signing in FLA (maybe a 3rd? idk) for Tyler Myers.

Move one of Petrovic or Pysyk. Myers cap hit is 5.5M real dollars is 3M

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Myers
Weegar-Pysyk/Petrovic

edit - matheson/myers might be a bit of an 'adventerous' pairing to say the least. don't know anything about Weegar, if he is a sound stay at home defensive guy, would pair him with Myers

Rather add big to 15th overall to chase Buff. Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson are all fairly offensive minded D so we need more of a shutdown RD in my eyes.

Weegar looks to be a shutdown guy in the making with some offensive gifts but this will be his 2nd year, isn't ready for 2nd pairing and I'd prefer shorter term for a veteran guy so a re-signed Myers doesn't block our future picks coming up like 15th overall, which Tallon should draft a RD with. Someone like Bode Wilde.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Why does it matter if the Penguins lose the value slightly if they get a player that fills a need for a player that's expendable? People make way too big of a deal about winning value in trades, that's not the point of trades. The Penguins would be giving up a top-9 winger that doesn't have a spot on the team and would be getting a #4 RD that fills arguably their biggest need. I don't really care if the value isn't great because it makes the team better.

your point is predicated on Pysyk being a #4 D, which is arguable. To clarify, my post was not about value in a trade capacity, but rather *value to the team*. my assertion is that Sheary, as a winger that provides top 6 production and shot metrics, is more valuable to the Penguins than a defenseman who would anchor our 3rd pair.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Rather add big to 15th overall to chase Buff. Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson are all fairly offensive minded D so we need more of a shutdown RD in my eyes.

Weegar looks to be a shutdown guy in the making with some offensive gifts but this will be his 2nd year, isn't ready for 2nd pairing and I'd prefer shorter term for a veteran guy so a re-signed Myers doesn't block our future picks coming up like 15th overall, which Tallon should draft a RD with. Someone like Bode Wilde.
Yeah the Add to the 15th would have to be big enough to make the 15th a secondary piece. Buff is a very important piece to the Jets organization on and off the ice and signed a fair cap hit at a very reasonable term (in a world where you see lots of Dmen being signed to 38+ Buff is signed to his 35 YO season if i recall correctly). Honestly don't see the Jets moving Buff at all.

Why not trade for Myers and move Pysyk for a pick to get a Dman? Is Pysyk worth a late first?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah the Add to the 15th would have to be big enough to make the 15th a secondary piece. Buff is a very important piece to the Jets organization on and off the ice and signed a fair cap hit at a very reasonable term (in a world where you see lots of Dmen being signed to 38+ Buff is signed to his 35 YO season if i recall correctly). Honestly don't see the Jets moving Buff at all.

Why not trade for Myers and move Pysyk for a pick to get a Dman? Is Pysyk worth a late first?

Ya I agree, Buff is going nowhere now.

Myers isn't really a shutdown guy,

Yandle should produce 40-50pts for the next 3-4 years
Ekblad is good for 40-50pts going forward.
Matheson looks to be a 30-40pt guy in a couple years.

Having Myers would be a nice luxury but prefer a guy who won't need a huge contract soon which complicates things for us with Seattle expansion draft in a couple years.

Reactions: DRW204

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How about something around Mathieu Perreault (Jets) for Pysyk (FLA)?

Jets can then move Myers for futures or a #3C.

Florida gets a fast LW that drives possession at a top-6 rate.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ya I agree, Buff is going nowhere now.

Myers isn't really a shutdown guy,

Yandle should produce 40-50pts for the next 3-4 years
Ekblad is good for 40-50pts going forward.
Matheson looks to be a 30-40pt guy in a couple years.

Having Myers would be a nice luxury but prefer a guy who won't need a huge contract soon which complicates things for us with Seattle expansion draft in a couple years.
fair enough, makes sense. Was unsure if FLA coveted another offensive dman or a shut down guy. you're right, the expansion draft would complicate it further.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Seriously? :laugh:

A capdump at half price plus two late round picks?

Leaf fans are offering up Brown and other teams offering up a late 2nd or early 3rds.....

Pysyk has some serious trouble clearing the crease when falling behind and occasionally seems timid with the puck. He was paired with Matheson who is a high risk guy and made plenty of mistakes himself so that pairing was unpredictable to say the very least.

Basically a good bottom pairing guy who can slide up and down the lineup if needed.

You actually went with "seriously"; I counter with...

To be fair I wouldnt trade Brown straight up for Pysyk, but the framework is there.
... and the more critical ...

Leafs wouldn't trade Brown for a bottom pairing upgrade.

which is reinforced by what we presume is a more directly first hand knowledgeable FL op:

I enjoy how it is all non-Panther fans saying he can play the top 4 but nowhere on the Florida board or no Panther fans here are saying anything other than he is a 3rd pairing guy. Hopefully other GMs are just looking at his corsi and did not actually see him play.

What I offered was fair
instant cap relief
guy who likely makes 3rd pair now with demonstrated ability to play 2nd pair
plus picks

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This. If you get the asset you want and need in the end, and can afford to pay for it, who cares if it is considered a good buy by someone else.

It's like in the draft, if someone takes a player they believe in in the mid 2nd, when someone else has them listed as a late 3rd. You like the guy, take him, don't fool around with trying to trade down to get him 10 spots later and possibly lose him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You actually went with "seriously"; I counter with...

... and the more critical ...

which is reinforced by what we presume is a more directly first hand knowledgeable FL op:

What I offered was fair
instant cap relief
guy who likely makes 3rd pair now with demonstrated ability to play 2nd pair
plus picks

You save us around $550,000 but we have the player who's played all 164 games for us the last 2 years while outscoring your player who's buried on your roster? The half a million savings plus a 6th and 7th round pick make it fair? o_O

At worst, Pysyk would get us a 3rd or 4th round pick....

Reactions: Kellyr

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah while Pysyk has his flaws obviously he's still a good D.

I actually grew to like him this year more even though it wasn't that good for him. He seemed to have grown a bigger attitude which was needed having been butter soft.

He's still not physical enough imo but smart and rarely gets caught out of position. Overall a solid hockey player who's still taking steps forward.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Why would the Oilers want him? The team needs a pp qb/player who can move the puck and create offense from the defense. He's not that player.

This sounds like a classic case of get the local boy even though he doesn't fill a need.

If you can find a way to move Russell this summer then Petrovic might make sense as the bottom pairing Rd.

I want the dcore re-built. The only keepers are Larsson and Nurse and if Nurse gets offersheeted >6M we might need a dman or 2. Not sure if we have the cap space to match a >6M OS.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'd like to take a shot at Petrovic for the bottom pairing RHD spot on the Leafs but I wouldn't pay more than bottom pairing prices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad