Post-Game Talk: One down, Two to go, FOR GREAT JUSTICE! LA - 3, Pens - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I know of no d men we currently have that could handle the size and aggression of LA better than Despres. Great skater, with size and strength. And currently playing well. Good thing we benched him before his confidence grew, and he thought what he was doing was working. Let him stew and think of that 'bad' penalty versus Philly. That'll learn 'em.

On my phone now, but if I wasn't, now would be the time I would add the 'i feel like I'm taking crazy pills video. Seriously, DB is Zoolander, and his handling of players his is 'blue steel', it's the same freaking thing everytime.

Last edited:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Here's the thing, though, and it's kind of neat:

aside from the fact that my opinion is in the vast majority, the stats AND advanced stats meet my eye test.

Despres is the best possession defenseman on the team. He's not on the ice for a lot of goals.

As for your example, Despres is the absolute best at getting the puck along the boards and getting it out of the zone. The best.

I have no clue what you're watching. Absolutely nothing of what you say is supported by shots against, goals against, or anything else when he's on the ice.

Look, I'm tired of explaing this to you. It's like the third time I've had to do this, and it's the last time boss.

It's the Despres factor of five. When he turns the puck over, it means his next five shifts are... bad. When his partner passes the puck in his feet, his next five shifts are.... bad. You don't have to actually watch those shifts, they automatically are bad. If he plays flawless those five shifts, disregard. They are bad.

If I said any of that about him being bad you'd have a point. I find it odd that any time you look objective about a flavor of the month player on this board it's like you insulted some posters' first born child. Honest to god it gets really old. If you can't look at a player objectively then there's no point in debating. If I'm being too harsh that's your opinion, but I have no problem expressing opinions aside from "he's terrible" and "he's just been so GOOD lately". I don't see the same from some.

As for stats, absorb all the stats you want from whatever website you choose. I see him possess pucks and the other team ends up gaining possession again, just like most or all other D we have now. If some of those aren't accounted for in an "advanced" stats round up, I really don't care. Regardless it doesn't mean he's a bad player, doesn't mean I don't like the guy or wouldn't like him to be a stalwart for the rest of his career. The entire defense isn't all that great right now and I don't think he's elevated himself above anyone else in terms of consistency. If you disagree, fabulous. It's really not a big deal. If anyone wants to take offense to my 'eh, not bad' impression of him as if he's their brother, that's their business.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
+played out my arse in my beer league and we knocked off the two seed.
-blysma is still employed

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll say despres isn't playing incredible, but he still was our best dman. Orpik and Scuds.... Let's not even go there. Maatta has been AMAZING but hit a ditch. He needs just one night off. Tell him it's to rest. Despres was physical and tough. He boxes out well. He deserves to play.

Do people talk him up a little too much? Sure. But he damn well deserves to play.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I know of no d men we currently have that could handle the size and aggression of LA better than Despres. Great skater, with size and strength. And currently playing well. Good thing we benched him before his confidence grew, and he thought what he was doing was working. Let him stew and think of that 'bad' penalty versus Philly. That'll learn 'em.

On my phone now, but if I wasn't, now would be the time I would add the 'i feel like I'm taking crazy pills video. Seriously, DB is Zoolander, and his handling of players his is 'blue steel', it's the same freaking thing everytime.

Man is it so much easier to get sucked in to these meaningless games with the phone buzzing me the score every goal/period. I would rather tune out until the playoffs to do anything else, but I just can't.

On an unrelated topic, I succumbed to the urge to watch the Game Three 2012 highlights. I just wanted to feel a rage that I still don't feel yet for the 2014 Pens. It did cement my disdain for Orpik, though. I think he was on for every goal against.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Man is it so much easier to get sucked in to these meaningless games with the phone buzzing me the score every goal/period. I would rather tune out until the playoffs to do anything else, but I just can't.

On an unrelated topic, I succumbed to the urge to watch the Game Three 2012 highlights. I just wanted to feel a rage that I still don't feel yet for the 2014 Pens. It did cement my disdain for Orpik, though. I think he was on for every goal against.

Kinda like how he's been since the Olympic break.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That player's only meeting worked wonders, particularly for Orpik and Scuderi, as well as the powerplay.

Bylsma's a joke. It's just brutal Shero hasn't done anything by now. If he can't see the flame out in the playoffs coming at this point, I question whether he should be shown the door immediately after Bylsma is.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If I said any of that about him being bad you'd have a point. I find it odd that any time you look objective about a flavor of the month player on this board it's like you insulted some posters' first born child. Honest to god it gets really old. If you can't look at a player objectively then there's no point in debating. If I'm being too harsh that's your opinion, but I have no problem expressing opinions aside from "he's terrible" and "he's just been so GOOD lately". I don't see the same from some.

As for stats, absorb all the stats you want from whatever website you choose. I see him possess pucks and the other team ends up gaining possession again, just like most or all other D we have now. If some of those aren't accounted for in an "advanced" stats round up, I really don't care. Regardless it doesn't mean he's a bad player, doesn't mean I don't like the guy or wouldn't like him to be a stalwart for the rest of his career. The entire defense isn't all that great right now and I don't think he's elevated himself above anyone else in terms of consistency. If you disagree, fabulous. It's really not a big deal. If anyone wants to take offense to my 'eh, not bad' impression of him as if he's their brother, that's their business.

1: No one has been GREAT lately, apart from Geno in the last couple of games before injury.
2: Taking the stand of Mr. Fair and Balanced looks ridiculous when it is to argue against the rage caused on this forum by Mr. Ass Hat once again scratching Despres just as he was - again - performing as one of - if not the - top defensemen on the team. Because as of late he has, even if that doesn't necessarily say much given the wet fart nature of other D-men's performances.
3: Fair enough that you don't give much credence to advanced stats. If you argue that Despres has not been at worst our second best D-man over the past five games however, you would be better off basing your evaluations on those stats, because it would signify that you shouldn't give any credence to your eyes :).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm down for the MSPaint Smug Bylsma Gif Playoff Avatar theme.
I'll try and think of some sayings to add to it.

Now for the state of this team right now. It is far worse than it was in 2011, heading to the playoffs without Geno/Sid so the injury excuse is a stupid one.

After 2009, the Pens have largely done things inside their own little bubble thats gradually filled up with arrogance from the top down. It's resulted in what we see today.

Vets, who are the worst players on the team, being heads of player only meetings. Owners and GM's believing in and fully backing the Bylsma's and Fleury's. Coaches giving significant ice time to some of the worst 5on5 players i've ever seen. And the list goes on.

The good news is that, that big cozy bubble may finally be on the way to bursting and the Pens, short and long term, will be better off for it.

ETA: I think it's to a point right now that the players think they can coach themselves out of this. I doubt many have faith in Bylsma turning the ship around for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the star players run Bylsma out of town after this year cuz they know exactly what he is now.

Also. It would've been fine if/when they locked themselves in this bubble if they gave the reigns to a competent coach. Shero/Mario we're fooled by that '09 Cup win. The jury should've stayed out, in terms of if Bylsma was truly a Cup calibre coach. Instead they (shero/mario) hitched thier reigns to DB and bet he could do it again and again with very mediocre to absolutely disastrous results.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
These injuries are unreal, now the pens are missing 3 centers, it just never ends with this team.

9 more games left, at any point this year have the pens went 9 games without an injury?

You know there is going to be atleast 1 or 2 more injuries before the playoffs start, i wish the pens could just forfeit the rest of the regular season.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
You know there is going to be atleast 1 or 2 more injuries before the playoffs start, i wish the pens could just forfeit the rest of the regular season.

No no.... we have to play them all, so we can lose in appropriately embarrassing fashion and DB can get canned in time to have hope for the post season :rant::laugh: .

Sad thing is that I am dead serious.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It's great you have such a keen eye for objectivity and it takes unrealistic expectations to make you not want to drop your "meh" bombs.

However, I don't see anyone claiming Despres has played flawless hockey. Some people use common sense and think a guy can make a few mistakes, but play very well. Others tend to see a mistake and blow off all the other things he did right in a period, game, etc.

Despres didn't look good when he first came up after the Olympic break and I said as much (you aren't the only one who possesses this keen insight to be objective), and he was playing without any confidence, like he was afraid to make mistakes. However, in the last 6-7 games he has looked a lot like himself again and has been playing well.

Maatta on the other hand has been the polar opposite. He came out of the break full of confidence and looked good. Now, the last two weeks he has mostly looked like hot garbage, especially Tuesday night.

Despres was the best blueliner on the Pens Tuesday night. Believe it or not, eventhough he had some mistakes, his overall play was very impressive. If you disagree, whatever.

Maatta should of been the one sitting agt the Kings, not Despres. If you can't understand why Maatta getting a free pass for playing like ass, while Despres gets benched for playing well, pisses people off, that's your perogative.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's gonna be awesome when Orpik gets re-signed this summer....

I'm trying to come to terms with it, because you know it's happening. It's why I'm not even going to hope that Shero will fire Bylsma. Because I know he won't.

Orpik will be a Pen next season, and so will Bylsma.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I could stomach an Orpik re-signing if we had a new coach.
I really think i could.

I couldn't. Orpik is everything that's wrong with the makeup of this roster. He epitomizes the whole issue with keeping around guys well past their best by date, instead of using the cap space elsewhere and utilizing a more talented youngster in that spot.

Letting Orpik walk would actually be the first positive sign from Shero.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Letting Orpik walk is as much of a boon to this team as getting rid of Bylsma.

I've never seen a more spurious pair in my entire time of watching/playing/following hockey.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Crosby created a lot of chances. Buttheads cant score. ****ing Niskanen, you have ****ing open net, and you just cant score.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Adams could give DB the bird, grab the puck and shoot it on his own net, then take a **** at center ice and still not get benched.

ColdStare

Jul 20, 2011
Johnstown
Adams could give DB the bird, grab the puck and shoot it on his own net, then take a **** at center ice and still not get benched.

I think it is a forgone conclusion at this point that there is no way Adams comes out of the lineup unless he has a body part amputated. Bylsma will not healthy scratch him and ruin his "Iron Man" streak. What a joke...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Despres probably gets overpraised on this board, but I'll go this far--he hasn't played poorly enough in any game to earn a scratching since last season.

And there are between one and three D who are worse than he is in the lineup on an every night basis. Never zero.

Shifting gears, I disagree with the praise for Gibbons greatly. He drew 2 penalties and I thought both were mistakes by the referee. Not his fault, but I can't really credit a guy for the referee botching a series of calls against LA.

Otherwise, he carelessly threw the puck to an all alone Anze Kopitar directly between the circles (Kopitar beat the tender and hit the crossbar) and is only even alive by the grace of Willie Mitchell's conscience. WM had him lined up for a kill shot, changed his mind and elected not to throw a body check. Gibbons never got his head up to see how close his season came to being over. If you're as small and weak as Gibbons, your on-ice awareness cannot be as bad as his is.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
These injuries are unreal, now the pens are missing 3 centers, it just never ends with this team.

9 more games left, at any point this year have the pens went 9 games without an injury?

But they still need 1 more point to get into the playoffs. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad