Post-Game Talk: One down, Two to go, FOR GREAT JUSTICE! LA - 3, Pens - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It shouldn't have counted, so everyone with blinders on should take that in. It doesn't matter than Doughty pushed him in, because Sutter jammed at the pad with his stick, and you can't do that no matter what's happening to you.

That being said, it was called off in a sneaky, underhanded way that actually went completely against the rules.

You can't go upstairs to review goalie interference. There is literally no reason to go to Toronto solely for that, therefore the only dispute in going upstairs is to see if the puck crossed the line. In other words, if you believe that there was interference on the original call, there's no reason to go to replay because you're going to call the goal off anyway, so what's the point in seeing if the puck crossed the line?

But it was the NHL being the NHL and the ref made it up on the spot and went against the rules. He saw the puck actually crossed the line, but also saw that Sutter pushing the pad in was the reason for the goal to begin with.

He basically used the replay to see if the puck went in (allowed), but also used replay to disallow the goal on a play by Sutter that simply isn't reviewable.

This is what bothered me.

If they had called it immediately, no big deal. But three times this year, rules SET IN STONE have been bent to either award the Pens' opponent a goal (twice) or to take a Pens' goal against (once).

I watch copious amounts of hockey, and this **** happens to no other team. In fact, it never gets to the point where they go to Toronto. The call is made, or it's not, and they move on.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'm pretty sure (watching the replay now, and it's how I remember it too) that Megna did just swat at it, it hit Jones' pad and then went straight to Kunitz.

Yeah I watched the replay from a third angle from down low. The angle of the goalie's pad knocks it right to Kunitz, so I stand corrected.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
845792469.gif

RIP Goc's ankle/Achilles.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
The only defence I see for the officials on that call is if they say they were simply going to Toronto to see if they even needed to make the goalie interference call in the first place, and while waiting for the decision from Toronto on whether the puck was in the net before it was off, discussed the goaltender interference amongst themselves. They are allowed to discuss things like goaltender interference between on ice officials. I would hope Toronto wouldn't have said anything with regards to whether it was interference or not.

Malkin112*

I don't understand all the Määttä hate I don't think he's tired or anything like that. He and Niskanen are playing first pairing minutes against tough western teams and that is just way over their skill level right now, can't really blame them. Martin needs to get back soon.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It shouldn't have counted, so everyone with blinders on should take that in. It doesn't matter than Doughty pushed him in, because Sutter jammed at the pad with his stick, and you can't do that no matter what's happening to you.

That being said, it was called off in a sneaky, underhanded way that actually went completely against the rules.

You can't go upstairs to review goalie interference. There is literally no reason to go to Toronto solely for that, therefore the only dispute in going upstairs is to see if the puck crossed the line. In other words, if you believe that there was interference on the original call, there's no reason to go to replay because you're going to call the goal off anyway, so what's the point in seeing if the puck crossed the line?

But it was the NHL being the NHL and the ref made it up on the spot and went against the rules. He saw the puck actually crossed the line, but also saw that Sutter pushing the pad in was the reason for the goal to begin with.

He basically used the replay to see if the puck went in (allowed), but also used replay to disallow the goal on a play by Sutter that simply isn't reviewable.

Agreed.

OK, they ultimately got it right. But how many times have we seen during a replay, a non reviewable aspect of a play be the determining factor, but they can't use it, because it is NON REVIEWABLE.

If they are going to go with, 'well we got it right', fine, then throw away the damn differentiations, of non reviewable, and reviewable, and use the replay in it's entirety, if it is obvious. Don't sometimes hide behind, 'well that portion of the play cannot be reviewed', while tonight, totally disregarding that facet of the rules.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I don't understand all the Määttä hate I don't think he's tired or anything like that. He and Niskanen are playing first pairing minutes against tough western teams and that is just way over their skill level right now, can't really blame them. Martin needs to get back soon.

He's not as quick as he usually is. That makes me think he's tired. He played harder minutes at the Olympics and looked fine there.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Ironically I am even more positive that we are losing. To kindof tack on to my last post I would like to make a prediction. The ego makes a final seppuku after a quick 2-3 losses in the first round. Either verbally or collectively inside their heads, the Pens check their egos at the door and say **** it. They realized they are not an all star team and that they have barely any depth and that their system is anything but good and they just play with an underdog chip on their shoulder. They make it through the first round and meet the Flyers in the second. The Flyers collectively give a hearty chuckle as they get the matchup and take the Pens very lightly because of the fact they have owned us this year and we take advantage and win the series. Then we meet the Bruins again in the Eastern Conference finals. The Bruins at this point will have swept their first two opponents and will be the overwhelming favorites. The Penguns come out to Rocky music and all drink raw eggs and beat the Bruins in 7. We then make our way to the Stanley Cup. Do I seriously believe this? Only a little bit. But I am very curious to see how this team plays without the pressure of a one seed and without being painted as the overwhelming infallible favorites. Having an underdog tag with a chip on your shoulder is a powerful phenomenon.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The problem is that they have a LOT of excuses right now. We aren't convinced, but it will be enough for the wrong people to keep their jobs this off-season (which will be about a week after the post-season starts).

Between injuries, chemistry, an incomplete roster plus the usual excuses, Bylsma probably keeps his job. Orpik may even get re-signed, young guys will continue to be squandered and nothing will change. Delayed another year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ironically I am even more positive that we are losing. To kindof tack on to my last post I would like to make a prediction. The ego makes a final seppuku after a quick 2-3 losses in the first round. Either verbally or collectively inside their heads, the Pens check their egos at the door and say **** it. They realized they are not an all star team and that they have barely any depth and that their system is anything but good and they just play with an underdog chip on their shoulder. They make it through the first round and meet the Flyers in the second. The Flyers collectively give a hearty chuckle as they get the matchup and take the Pens very lightly because of the fact they have owned us this year and we take advantage and win the series. Then we meet the Bruins again in the Eastern Conference finals. The Bruins at this point will have swept their first two opponents and will be the overwhelming favorites. The Penguns come out to Rocky music and all drink raw eggs and beat the Bruins in 7. We then make our way to the Stanley Cup. Do I seriously believe this? Only a little bit. But I am very curious to see how this team plays without the pressure of a one seed and without being painted as the overwhelming infallible favorites. Having an underdog tag with a chip on your shoulder is a powerful phenomenon.

I love them being the underdog for a change.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
STATS OF THE GAME:

- The Penguins PP, which was 0 for 7 on the night, was still more coherent than a Bylsma press conference

- The Penguins PK, which surrendered two goals, still put up more resistance than Simon Despres' will power in the press box. RIP in pieces 5 orders of nachos.

- Brooks Orpik has been on the ice for at least one goal against in all but 3 games since the Olympic Break.

- Rob Scuderi!!!!

That's a phenomenal stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad