Recalled/Assigned: Ondrej Pavelec recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It tends to hold more weight compared to someone who looks up the save % and mayyybe caught the highlights. ;)

But not compared to someone who watches the games, and has followed the team since day 1, such as myself and pretty much everybody else here. None of us need to look up Pavs sv%, it's etched in everyone's mind.

I mean c'mon, what else do you need to see that shows sv% over as large a sample as we have for Pav is a valid indicator of his play?

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
We should have a computer run the team if player decisions just come down to three stat metrics.

I could code that in 5 minutes in excel. Can I now be the coach and GM?

Yeah you're right. Carey Price is the #1 goalie in the NHL for the past few years, but who needs stats, when you have unbiased eyes that say Pavelec is the cure to our goatending woes...:laugh:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
who cares? if he gets claimed after we send him down this year that just saves us some cash

Unless some team has a really bad spate of unfortunate injuries to their respective goalies, I highly doubt Pavelec will be claimed. Just look on the main forum. Most fans of other teams think he is beyond terrible.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think the Jet's should resign Pavelec for 2 more years at half price, and see how the team does. Sign him at $ 2 mil per season over just 2 years. If he's not playing well, he'd be an "excellent backup." While they are doing this, they should look for their future #1 goaltender, via a trade, or get him thru free agency. I like the way the team plays with confidence with Pavelec in net, as he doesn't lose his composure.
I just do not see the "love affair" the posters have on here with Helly, he lets in to many soft goals from way out-"unscreened" and if he lets in a couple soft goals, his confidence falls apart. The Jets will not make the playoffs with a guy like Helly in net-"no way" I saw one game where he let in the first 3 goals, on just 6 shots, and was pulled out of the game.
Maybe over time he'll come along, but I'm not sold on this guy !!!

I find it ironic (if not funny) that a few posters on the forum can still defend Pavelec for his years of poor play (worst starter in the league for the past five seasons), but after years of Hellebuyck dominating every single league he has played in, including the NHL before having troubles for the past 30 games, and you want to crucify him? There is one common denominator for all three Jets goalies- Wade Flaherty. Flahery is the worst goalie coach in the history of the NHL. If Flaherty isn't fired by the end of the season, then the Jets should not even bother correcting their problems in net. Flaherty would ruin Carey Price if he worked with him.

Signing Pavelec for $2,000,000/year is beyond ridiculous. No team is going to give Pavelec half of that, so why should the Jets?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I find it ironic (if not funny) that a few posters on the forum can still defend Pavelec for his years of poor play (worst starter in the league for the past five seasons), but after years of Hellebuyck dominating every single league he has played in, including the NHL before having troubles for the past 30 games, and you want to crucify him? There is one common denominator for all three Jets goalies- Wade Flaherty. Flahery is the worst goalie coach in the history of the NHL. If Flaherty isn't fired by the end of the season, then the Jets should not even bother correcting their problems in net. Flaherty would ruin Carey Price if he worked with him.

Signing Pavelec for $2,000,000/year is beyond ridiculous. No team is going to give Pavelec half of that, so why should the Jets?

Yep. But most people get their information from media sources who constantly say Pavs is a great goalie, and believe it. The big question is why is the media like that? Why not pump up Helle's tires instead of giving him ****.

I'm sure that if the media guys gave Helle and Pavs each the credit they deserve that these random Pavs supporters would become random Helle supporers :naughty:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Unless some team has a really bad spate of unfortunate injuries to their respective goalies, I highly doubt Pavelec will be claimed. Just look on the main forum. Most fans of other teams think he is beyond terrible.

Unless I miss my guess, I'm fairly certain that fans of other teams don't get to make roster decisions for their team.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yep. But most people get their information from media sources who constantly say Pavs is a great goalie, and believe it. The big question is why is the media like that? Why not pump up Helle's tires instead of giving him ****.

I'm sure that if the media guys gave Helle and Pavs each the credit they deserve that these random Pavs supporters would become random Helle supporers :naughty:

I try not to listen to any opinion of the Jets the Winnipeg media comes up with. Total and complete homerism. Chipman has the media on a short leash. If you want to know about the Jets listen to the sports media outside Manitoba.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't blame the media for Pavelove , a lot of the non intensive fans that don't even know about these boards nor read the paper just love him.
I have heard it time and time again at the gym or work...
A lot just simply like him because .....???
I don't get it but it's the most common perception of him regardless of his track record. The guy has some it factor going on.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Jet's should resign Pavelec for 2 more years at half price, and see how the team does. Sign him at $ 2 mil per season over just 2 years. If he's not playing well, he'd be an "excellent backup." While they are doing this, they should look for their future #1 goaltender, via a trade, or get him thru free agency. I like the way the team plays with confidence with Pavelec in net, as he doesn't lose his composure.
I just do not see the "love affair" the posters have on here with Helly, he lets in to many soft goals from way out-"unscreened" and if he lets in a couple soft goals, his confidence falls apart. The Jets will not make the playoffs with a guy like Helly in net-"no way" I saw one game where he let in the first 3 goals, on just 6 shots, and was pulled out of the game.
Maybe over time he'll come along, but I'm not sold on this guy !!!

I don't care what you think about Helle. Do not sign Pavelec! Not for league minimum for 1 year. He needs to be gone forever. No he would not make an excellent backup. He is not an NHL goalie. Do not allow yourself to be fooled by that man behind the curtain.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wouldn't shot speed or velocity be important criteria, how do you measure that?

You don't measure that. There is no need to measure everything. You use sample size to take care of that. Over 1000 shots I guarantee that the velocity will average out to be avg. The speed will be exactly the same as the velocity.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was listening to the IllegalCurve podcast and they had Tim Campbell on who said and I quote "Save % is the most dangerous stat". I hate the Winnipeg homer media :rant: . Later on in the show Marty Biron was on who talked about how the recent Jets wins were likely unsustainable with their sv% and GAA over the 3 (not in those words but conveying that idea). It's not even about Pavelec anymore, it's about how ignorant those who are supposed to cover the Jets act, there is so little intellectually honesty from those who cover the Jets that it's scary.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
Winnipeg media is told to love pavs by TNSE. They made a big investment in him, and they don't want to be made to look like fools by the media; Pavs is adequate enough in doing just that.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Winnipeg media is told to love pavs by TNSE. They made a big investment in him, and they don't want to be made to look like fools by the media; Pavs is adequate enough in doing just that.

They didnt look like fools sending him to minors for more then half the year and would have left him there if the other 2 seives would have just played ok.

Deleted member 218451

They didnt look like fools sending him to minors for more then half the year and would have left him there if the other 2 seives would have just played ok.

If Helly is a 'seive' and has better numbers than Pavelec then how would you describe Pavelec?

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,

Re: Bolded....Bit of a stretch perhaps calling Helle dominant?? I didn't think he would have left the crease if he was "dominant". Even with this coach

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
The experiment should be over now. Send him back down. Play Helle 10 games in a row and see if he's the guy for next year or not. Pav sure as hell isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad