Recalled/Assigned: Ondrej Pavelec recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Let Hellebuyck ride out his cold streak. How many stretches of bad play was Pavelec allowed to ride out?

Another much better option would've been to acquire Halak for the cost of nothing.

5 or so years, but who is counting?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The club did the right thing by calling up Pavs.
The mistake they are now making again for the 500th time is to attempt to make him a starter which historically shows he is not.
Helle needs to play more not less.
What does playing Pavs consecutively teach Helle exactly?
Hutch had a horrific year and ultimately that created the need for Pavs albeit stop gap only for this year.
This organization really doesn't do their goalies any favours in how they handle things.

You could throw Helle back in, pull him after he explodes (like he's done recently) and assume there is a positive in that process . Or you could put him back in the farm system and maybe he'll learn.
Pavs is the way to go right now because he is disposable and the problem with the Jets is not all in the net. Defence is the major issue and I for one, am glad they are not putting a young goalie through that mess right now. Between the play of Buff and Stu, nobodies safe between the posts.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Jaro Halak for Ondrej Pavelec

It honestly blows my mind that this deal wasn't made. It would have been an absolute win-win. Isles get Halak off the books for next season and save 600K in cap space this season by taking on Pavelec. Jets get the perfect guy to run in a one-two punch with Hellebuyck for this season and next.

Maybe the Isles feel they can get a late pick for Halak in a trade with some team that needs a goalie to expose? That's the only explanation I can think of for why the Isles wouldn't do it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It honestly blows my mind that this deal wasn't made. It would have been an absolute win-win. Isles get Halak off the books for next season and save 600K in cap space this season by taking on Pavelec. Jets get the perfect guy to run in a one-two punch with Hellebuyck for this season and next.

Maybe the Isles feel they can get a late pick for Halak in a trade with some team that needs a goalie to expose? That's the only explanation I can think of for why the Isles wouldn't do it.

Makes too much sense, Hank.

Either our management is too cheap or stupid to pull the trigger on that. That is very sad.

Remember Halak in the World Cup? The guy was friggin otherworldly. He is the single reason they weren't round robin fodder.

The savings that the Isles make on that deal I think more than compensates for the late pick. Hell, I would have thrown one of those in, too. Pavs *should have been* a sunk cost anyway.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Maybe the Isles didn't want Pavelec. Lol Slim possibility.

They clearly don't want Halak, so... :laugh:

Either our management is too cheap or stupid to pull the trigger on that. That is very sad.

Remember Halak in the World Cup? The guy was friggin otherworldly. He is the single reason they weren't round robin fodder.

The savings that the Isles make on that deal I think more than compensates for the late pick. Hell, I would have thrown one of those in, too. Pavs *should have been* a sunk cost anyway.

With Maurice being an assistant on that team, you gotta think he floated the possibility to Chevy.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I agree - when Helle was in there, it was worse

(Sorry Hank... my bad won't do that again)

Fun facts:
Pavelec has ONLY won games where the Jets have scored 4 or more
Hellebuyck has won all his games where the Jets have scored 4 or more
Only one of the two has won games where the Jets have scored 3 or fewer
Hellebuyck has stopped more pucks

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
[mod]

Fun facts:
Pavelec has ONLY won games where the Jets have scored 4 or more
Hellebuyck has won all his games where the Jets have scored 4 or more
Only one of the two has won games where the Jets have scored 3 or fewer
Hellebuyck has stopped more pucks

Fun facts part 2 -
- Pavelec has won games
- Helle wasn't winning games - in fact, he was losing them early in the first before being pulled.
- Haven't seen Pavs play in many of the tighter, low scoring games (if any) - hard to compare
- Helle has stopped more pucks that happen to hit him in the chest - other wise, they are likely going in (especially on the glove side)

I've tried to make this a more recent comp - since Pavs has only played a few. Fun facts aside, IMO Helle needs more time on the farm - he doesn't look comfortable out there (recently). I'm not a Pavs fan - this is all based on what I am seeing now.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Fun facts part 2 -
- Pavelec has won games
- Helle wasn't winning games - in fact, he was losing them early in the first before being pulled.
- Haven't seen Pavs play in many of the tighter, low scoring games (if any) - hard to compare
- Helle has stopped more pucks that happen to hit him in the chest - other wise, they are likely going in (especially on the glove side)

I've tried to make this a more recent comp - since Pavs has only played a few. Fun facts aside, IMO Helle needs more time on the farm - he doesn't look comfortable out there (recently). I'm not a Pavs fan - this is all based on what I am seeing now.

Ya, no... good try though.

C37OSuKUoAAJ6vp.jpg

Pavelec and Hellebuyck have both been able to win high Jets scoring games. Only Hellebuyck has won low scoring.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Fun fact. Pavelec has yet to give up less then 3 goals in 7 games. That's just horrendous. We're getting to the point where Hutch might have to get a shot again.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Pavs vs Helle debate is pointless. They both suck. Pavs had 5 years to prove himself and clearly isnt a legit #1 in this league. Helle is slow and nonathletic with limited potential. A late draft pick who over achieved in the minors that set up unrealistic expectations that he was going to be the great goalie this franchise has been seeking. Chevy needs to swallow his pride of drafting and developing and look to bring in another goalie from outside the organization. The Jets should be the most aggressive team in the offseason with respect to landing a new #1 goalie. Helle can stay as the backup.

Next year will be season number 7, if Chevy cant produce a reliable #1 goalie after 7 seasons he needs to be fired. Period. The goalie is the most important player on the ice and the lack of resources and urgency this franchise has put towards the position has been pathetic. End result? 0 playoff wins in 6 years.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Becoming more evident all the time -- Chevy is incapable of pulling a trade off unless absolutely forced into it. Look at this & other goalie options over the years. Look at our perennially bad bottom defence & depth.

Look at the good D that have gone through waivers here recently & we have Stu & Chiarot playing on a regular basis, with Melchori & Strait as our next line of depth. But nary a move. Hard to argue sometimes who is more incompetent - Chevy or Maurice.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Just watching oilers game. What a luxury to have a proper number one goalie. Talbot is very good and is the busiest goalie in the league. He was available for a good price if I recall. Time to grab some teams backup. for next year. Montoya even looks like he would be a better option than what the Jets throw out.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Just watching oilers game. What a luxury to have a proper number one goalie. Talbot is very good and is the busiest goalie in the league. He was available for a good price if I recall. Time to grab some teams backup. for next year. Montoya even looks like he would be a better option than what the Jets throw out.

I don't think any goalie would thrive with the systems that coaching has implemented. This thread discusses this he goaltender situation. However, the underlying problem is coaching. Of course we need a better goalie, but that won't get us to playoff level unless there is a competent coach in place with appropriate systems.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
I don't think any goalie would thrive with the systems that coaching has implemented. This thread discusses this he goaltender situation. However, the underlying problem is coaching. Of course we need a better goalie, but that won't get us to playoff level unless there is a competent coach in place with appropriate systems.

So. Is save% a goalie stat or a team stat? If it's a goalie stat then how many more wins would the jets have with a .920 goalie?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So. Is save% a goalie stat or a team stat? If it's a goalie stat then how many more wins would the jets have with a .920 goalie?

*Pedantic Garret voice* It's a statistic that is predominately goaltender driven with some influence of team.

:P

0.920 average or 0.920 every single game? Because a 0.920 average goaltender will still have low sv% games.

For a quick thingy, here is 2009-2010 data:
Save % / Win %
0.913 or better / 0.777
0.900 to 0.912 / 0.536
0.885 to 0.899 / 0.503
0.884 or worse / 0.246

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad