Waived: Ondrej Pavelec on waivers at noon ET today (upd: clears)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
SiruisXM NHL guys were saying this was so that Hutch can get the required number of games so he can be exposed in the expansion draft since Pavelec is on an expiring contract.

Its sad that people paid to talk about the nhl can be so clueless. Theres no gp requirement for goalies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
#Calderbuyck

Ineligible. He played 26 games last year.

Jets should have done this years ago.

When you lock your season ticket agreements in for three to five years (depending on the seats) it's much more difficult to come out and say, "We're rebuilding. We're going to try to get worse for a little bit."

That's why you need certain aces up your sleeve and the way the goalies were utilized down the stretch last year was a master class in tanking on the sly.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Hellebuyck is their best goalie and Hutchinson is needed to be exposed, so yeah, no surprise here.

Curious to see if anyone claims him at that cap hit, but I don't think so.

No Czeck Pucks

Aug 29, 2013
Everyone must remember that Pav's played most of the last 5 years with Bogosian, Enstrom, Stuart, and 'Bad' Buff on his blueline.

buttman*

Ineligible. He played 26 games last year.

When you lock your season ticket agreements in for three to five years (depending on the seats) it's much more difficult to come out and say, "We're rebuilding. We're going to try to get worse for a little bit."

That's why you need certain aces up your sleeve and the way the goalies were utilized down the stretch last year was a master class in tanking on the sly.

How is waiving Pavalic telling anyone you are getting worse? That message would be the opposite. It was about money -- nothing else. They hoped, prayed, he would come out of it and they could at least deal him.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Everyone must remember that Pav's played most of the last 5 years with Bogosian, Enstrom, Stuart, and 'Bad' Buff on his blueline.

Yeah, Enström sucks. :facepalm:

(P.S. 'Bad' Buff was a myth.)

How is waiving Pavalic telling anyone you are getting worse? That message would be the opposite. It was about money -- nothing else. They hoped, prayed, he would come out of it and they could at least deal him.

You're right. I think waiving Pavelec means they're trying to get better.

Having a lousy, cheap starter for a few years (with the official position that he's going to be much better any day now you'll see) is a good way to lose some games while maintaining the illusion of a desire to win.

Last edited:

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009

Hellebuyck played as a rookie with the same group last year and had much better numbers.
Other goalies also have bad D's and yet better numbers.

I'm Czech (too?) but I'm the first one to admit that Pavelec is not #1 material in the NHL.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This is dumb. They should have kept him on the roster. Not making the playoffs with no experience.

Experience doesn't matter if the experienced person sucks balls. Would you hire an experienced plumber who had been plumbing for 20 years and accidentally flooded 1/3 of the houses he worked on?

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Does this go with experts saying that Jets will be better this season? Who are they starting? Hellebuyck? A work in progress kid with a high talent?

buttman*

Yeah, Enström sucks. :facepalm:

(P.S. 'Bad' Buff was a myth.)

You're right. I think waiving Pavelec means they're trying to get better.

Having a lousy, cheap starter for a few years (with the official position that he's going to be much better any day now you'll see) is a good way to lose some games while maintaining the illusion of a desire to win.

They are a great young team with a ton of talent. Waiving Pavs was/is the best for this team. They should have bought him out but hindsight is 20/20.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If I was making the call on this, I'd have done this years ago. To me, half the backups at any given point in the last ~7 years have been at his level or better, to say nothing of the starters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad