Waived: Ondrej Pavelec on waivers at noon ET today (upd: clears)

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
You forgot how he refused to go on a conditioning stint in the AHL last season after returning from injury.

In terms of his future, perhaps someone will be willing to take him as a backup with the Jets retaining some salary. Next year I could see KHL or him signing somewhere as a backup. Budaj played abysmal for the Moose in the AHL a few years ago, got an opportunity with the Kings AHL team last season and played his way back into the NHL as their backup this year.

He's only signed for this year, so I doubt there's an issue retaining salary with what appears to be about $9M in cap space without Trouba being signed unless the Jets felt the need to take a cap dump back in a trade involving Trouba to get a really good player.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
With regards to the idea that he handles himself with class, I'd disagree.

He had a DUI about which he failed to inform the Jets, he has thrown his defence under the bus a couple times, and he has been lacking in his off season conditioning.

Not to mention he threw a temper tantrum when sent to ahl at 21/22 with no experience and told the trashers to trade him or lehtonen. Thrashers made a bad decision and kept him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You forgot how he refused to go on a conditioning stint in the AHL last season after returning from injury.

In terms of his future, perhaps someone will be willing to take him as a backup with the Jets retaining some salary. Next year I could see KHL or him signing somewhere as a backup. Budaj played abysmal for the Moose in the AHL a few years ago, got an opportunity with the Kings AHL team last season and played his way back into the NHL as their backup this year.

Budaj wont be in nhl this year :huh:

astrobuck

Aug 13, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Not to mention he threw a temper tantrum when sent to ahl at 21/22 with no experience and told the trashers to trade him or lehtonen. Thrashers made a bad decision and kept him.
As a Thrashers fan, keeping Pavelec over Kari doesn't even get in the top 5 of bad decisions of that franchise. At the time, Kari seemed to have big problems with conditioning and that was causing him to be injured a bit. I'm pretty sure it was his groin or a hernia. It's been awhile. Plus, now that we know the Atlanta Spirit Group was trying to unload the Thrashers since they day they bought them and the Hawks, getting rid of the higher priced goalie for a then up and comer would probably be a sound move.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
On the one hand, he's really getting screwed by the salary. If he were making a reasonable amount, he'd surely find a home in the NHL somewhere as a backup. But on the other hand, he's making a small fortune playing AHL hockey...so he'll probably be alright.

Wouldn't completely rule out him ending up somewhere else in the NHL this season if injuries strike (as they often do) and a team wants someone to keep them somewhat afloat while waiting for their starter to get healthy again.

He's not an NHL starting goaltender, but i think he can still bring something to the table as a backup - if he can swallow his ego and spend most games quietly on the bench in a ballcap. Otherwise, he'll surely be off to the KHL in the summer.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
The strange thing is, despite the informed opinion being that Winnipeg should have done this long ago... Most WPG fans love Pavelec.

I'm assuming this is largely due to the acrobatic saves he needs to make being out of position and being relatively personable, but regardless, I don't hear a lot of fans happy about this in the real world.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
The strange thing is, despite the informed opinion being that Winnipeg should have done this long ago... Most WPG fans love Pavelec.

I'm assuming this is largely due to the acrobatic saves he needs to make being out of position and being relatively personable, but regardless, I don't hear a lot of fans happy about this in the real world.

bizarro-world.jpg

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Nothing could be further from the truth. The entire city is rejoicing, literally every hockey fan here I know is pumped this happened. It's to the point I've actually started feeling bad for Pavelec, seems like a nice guy but he's not good at his job, and now he's going to have to live in the same city and hear all the things locals and local media have to say about how great this is.

Edit: unless you were trolling and/or forgot :sarcasm: in which case well played.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Nothing could be further from the truth. The entire city is rejoicing, literally every hockey fan here I know is pumped this happened. It's to the point I've actually started feeling bad for Pavelec, seems like a nice guy but he's not good at his job, and now he's going to have to live in the same city and hear all the things locals and local media have to say about how great this is.

"Nothing could be further from the truth" is a pretty far reaching statement.

"The entire city" even more-so in a population of roughly 700,000.

I can assure you there is a lot of casual fans that aren't "rejoicing". Not that this is something that either of us could possibly know(the proportion of Jets fans on either side), or be as confident as you seem to be in knowing.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I mean how many Filipino transplants even care about the nhl compared to the nba....

60-70k probably care more about the PBA then the nhl.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

In Jets Facebook Fan groups (they are so embarrassing), it's 90% women who are upset about it. And I think most of them have no idea how he plays as a goalie. :laugh: (I'm a women, I'm not being sexist. Gay men probably like him too. :P )

I have also had some men look at me kind of weird when I told them excitedly that Pavelec was waived. I just think casual fans only remember his fancy looking crazy saves and have no idea how bad his stats really are.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well to be fair he's one of the most exciting goalies to watch. He's quick and has good reflexes he just can't read the play.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Belgarath

In Jets Facebook Fan groups (they are so embarrassing), it's 90% women who are upset about it. And I think most of them have no idea how he plays as a goalie. :laugh: (I'm a women, I'm not being sexist. Gay men probably like him too. :P )

I have also had some men look at me kind of weird when I told them excitedly that Pavelec was waived. I just think casual fans only remember his fancy looking crazy saves and have no idea how bad his stats really are.

Hey.

200_s.gif

:sarcasm:

I don't live in Winnipeg, so I'm not subject to the same ebbs, flows, and nuances that happened there as the result of what the Jets do, so I can't say with any great certainty whether people are ecstatic or upset about it. I also don't go to Jets Facebook or Reddit, so I'm safe from the idiots there. I rarely venture out of my Twitter timeline as well. However, I feel it's safe to say that there are camps firmly entrenched at either end of the spectrum, with a whole swath of people in between. I know I'm flippin happy about it, because it means the likelihood of Pavy re-signing is almost none, and it shows that the organization is finally comfortable enough with its goaltending position that they can get rid of the tumor on the end of their nose. I'm just hoping that Bucky is good enough to run with the position and cement himself as a number one goaltender in the league.

Last edited:

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Jets fans - Do you think Hutchinson ends up making the majority of starts this year? I understand Hellebuyuck (probably spelled that wrong but whatevs) is the future but Hutchinson also has more starts to his name at least to this point

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think it's more that Pavelec seems like a pretty good athlete so they just rolled the dice and committed money to a guy who never was going to put it together to become a good goaltender. Pavelec wasn't a bad goaltender every night. I've seen him play spectacularly before. It's that the ratio of good games to bad ones leaves a whole lot to be desired.

The Jets just figured there'd be more and more good nights going forward and it never really worked out that way. In a lot of ways, he's almost a caricature of Marc-Andre Fleury; his predecessor with CB.

Now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel with the contract expiry and Hellebuyck (sp?), all the rationalization that kept Pavelec on the roster is out the window.

I think this all pretty-much true. I meant more after said bad contract was signed. Especially since the actual dollar savings of buying him out would have been negligible.

"Nothing could be further from the truth" is a pretty far reaching statement.

"The entire city" even more-so in a population of roughly 700,000.

I can assure you there is a lot of casual fans that aren't "rejoicing". Not that this is something that either of us could possibly know(the proportion of Jets fans on either side), or be as confident as you seem to be in knowing.

True story: my 90-year-old grandmother thought that Montoya had earned starts over him.

I mean how many Filipino transplants even care about the nhl compared to the nba....

60-70k probably care more about the PBA then the nhl.

You're right, though there are many Jets fans in every community in the city.

Jets fans - Do you think Hutchinson ends up making the majority of starts this year? I understand Hellebuyuck (probably spelled that wrong but whatevs) is the future but Hutchinson also has more starts to his name at least to this point

I think the better goalie gets the net by December. Of course there's standard variation and/or curses, but I'm betting that Hellebuyck's getting the majority of starts over Hutchinson.

That said, Hutchinson is likely to start Thursday, and he's got the fancy gear for the Heritage Classic (not that fancy gear has always prevented a goalie from sitting on the bench--eek).

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

If Hutchinson ends up starting more games it will likely be a 50%+1 kind of situation. Hellebuyck, on the other hand, could see up to 55-60 starts if he seized the job.

To start the season they'll split 50/50. Hellebuyck needs starts to develop so it is unlikely he'll fall far below 50%. Ultimately, Hutchinson is primarily on the roster to be exposed and satisfy the expansion draft criteria.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

I think Hutch may start out with more games, but as the season moves on I believe Hellebuyck will gradually take over.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I think this all pretty-much true. I meant more after said bad contract was signed. Especially since the actual dollar savings of buying him out would have been negligible.

True story: my 90-year-old grandmother thought that Montoya had earned starts over him.

You're right, though there are many Jets fans in every community in the city.

I think the better goalie gets the net by December. Of course there's standard variation and/or curses, but I'm betting that Hellebuyck's getting the majority of starts over Hutchinson.

That said, Hutchinson is likely to start Thursday, and he's got the fancy gear for the Heritage Classic (not that fancy gear has always prevented a goalie from sitting on the bench--eek).

I thought Montoya had earned more starts, too. He had great rebound control which was something Pavs was having a really hard time with that season. I always thought Big Al never got a fair crack at the starting job anywhere he played, and yet was always pretty solid when he was put in.

A little presumptuous of Hutch to have had Heritage Classic pads made up, hey? I'd sure like to see them though (pleeeeease be brown leather). Got a link?

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the info friends. I see big things for yinz this season. I'm planning on catching a bunch of Jets games this year. So many fun players to watch.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
In possible Trouba to NY scenarios, I have said Pavs was a cap dump.
I had Raanta going your way, he being only 1m x 2

This proves it.
play da kids, use Raanta as nec
when either/both kids are ready, Raanta -- unlike Pavelec - remains a trade option if ya wanna go there then

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
We have a lot of depth at goal, so there's no reason to accept a trade for Annti Raanta, and we're not devaluing Trouba by including a cap dump like Pavelec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad