Player Discussion Ondřej Kaše Appreciation Thread

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m still glad we didn’t trade him for Faulk because the risk far outweighs the rewards but this is getting ridiculous.

hopefully it’s short term.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Hopefully BM calls it a upper body injury ( and tries to hide that it’s another concussion issue ) before he trades him by Christmas

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m still glad we didn’t trade him for Faulk because the risk far outweighs the rewards but this is getting ridiculous.

hopefully it’s short term.
I just feel like its going to be the story of kases career. Love him as a player but id consider selling high at this point.

If we could do something around kase for krug risto or gustafsson... id be listening for sure

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I just feel like its going to be the story of kases career. Love him as a player but id consider selling high at this point.

If we could do something around kase for krug risto or gustafsson... id be listening for sure

I think selling high was after his 21 goal year or before the torn labrum last season. Unfortunately he’s been hurt enough now that his value isn’t what it could be.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m still holding out hope that he was held out for precautionary reasons. They did that with Gibson seemingly every time he took a bump a couple of years ago.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m still holding out hope that he was held out for precautionary reasons. They did that with Gibson seemingly every time he took a bump a couple of years ago.
I could def see that... but it was a blindside play.... wasn't ready to be hit.

Ive had a few concussions.... and 2 of them were situations where I wasn't expecting to be hit, not directly to the head... but the jerk /whiplash motion on impact can be enough to trigger them specially if you have a history.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Although he has great upside and has the right attitude, I think it would be best to trade him for another long term asset before its too late. I'm just hope he can string together some games near the trade deadline to peak some interest.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If he’s legitimately hurt this time it is too late.
It sucks because hes such a good player, and a great attitude.... but he will have injury issues his whole career.

I know its easy to say LOL at people who wanted to trade kase in the offseason... as he is a big cog in our offense, but having a guy like risto/faulk/krug/gustafsson etc would benefit our offense/powerplay more than kase… specially when you take into consideration how often he spends on IR.

Hopefully its not a bad injury and hell be back soon, but I just don't see a career where he plays very many full seasons. But I agree with you.. his value drops more and more everytime he gets injured.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
His current trade value is only slightly above Sprong's now. But I still don't regret not making the Faulk trade. Faulk would obviously be very useful now. But he isn't worth that contract even for free. And this year was always going to be a transition year, not a cup contending year.

Reactions: Paul4587

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
His current trade value is only slightly above Sprong's now. But I still don't regret not making the Faulk trade. Faulk would obviously be very useful now. But he isn't worth that contract even for free. And this year was always going to be a transition year, not a cup contending year.

Yeah, he wanted 7 million and more years than what he got from the blues. No thanks. He will regress in about 3 years.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Slowed the video down and he definitely took a head shot although his head did not hit ice

I forgot who I was listening to, but it was a hockey show saying that your head doesn't have to hit the ice to get a concussion. It's the jarring motion of the head is what causes the concussion. And if you've had concussions before, it's easier to trigger it. But hitting the ice definitely increases the likeliness of a incurring a concussion.

Let's just hope it's the Ducks taking the precaution of sitting him for the rest of the game. Kase looked fine in the moments he skated back to the bench. I'm just glad we have a good medical staff to make sure we aren't putting a concussed player back onto the ice.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t think you can blame BM for the Carolina owner being a big-mouthed idiot.

I thought the deal between the Ducks and Carolina was already set, but the only determinant left was Faulk. Faulk had to agree to relinquish his 10-team no trade list AND agree to an extension. Now, it's possible that the Carolina owner set other things into motion that got into Faulk's head, but Faulk had the final say on things. The extension Faulk wanted and the extension GM Murray wanted was the sticking point. Faulk remained adamant on his extension and it was something GM Murray didn't want. Finally, Murray walked away.

Whether or not Kase is injury prone wasn't the significant factor in my mind. It was the lack of balance on the roster and the possibility of losing one of our top-3 defenseman that made sending Kase for Faulk a very good exchange (contract info not included). The Ducks were boasting a massive influx of forward talent youth in the off-season, but not so much on the blue line. When I did the coaching splits between RC and Murray, Murray succeeded without Kase in the lineup. That let me know the Ducks can win without Kase if we had to trade Kase away.

We kept Kase. So I'm hoping for the best with Kase to help mask our deficiency on defense. Kase is doing that. Kase was doing that until the latest injury. I don't know if it was due to a concussion or some other thing. Injuries suck. We were forced to eat a $4 mil a year defenseman salary because Manson fell to injury. Who knows how this pans out with the addition of Gud. Regardless, if Kase is on our team, then I'm hoping for a fast recovery because Kase does help mask our defense as he drives offensive possessions. That's one way of playing defense, by possessing the puck more often and Kase is prolific in that dept (with the use of advanced metrics for proof).

I'm just team first. Faulk didn't work out and it wasn't due to our GM. If this is the hand we're dealt with, then let's play that hand very well.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I thought the deal between the Ducks and Carolina was already set, but the only determinant left was Faulk. Faulk had to agree to relinquish his 10-team no trade list AND agree to an extension. Now, it's possible that the Carolina owner set other things into motion that got into Faulk's head, but Faulk had the final say on things. The extension Faulk wanted and the extension GM Murray wanted was the sticking point. Faulk remained adamant on his extension and it was something GM Murray didn't want. Finally, Murray walked away.

What we will never know is where those negotiations where at when Dundon spilled the beans and pissed off Bob. Maybe Bob was warming up to giving in to Faulk. Dundon's leak may well have caused Bob to dig in and effectively demand his terms or nothing. We know "Barstool" has a temper and can get ornery. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducks DVM

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
what's up with this guy? haven't watched the ducks a lot, but he impressed me in the past.
injury prone being the obvious response, but how's his game this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad