GDT: Once Upon a Time...In Newark - Red Wings @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I've said it before and I'll say it again, people act like Lou left the Devils in the worst shape ever of any team anywhere, that pales in comparison to the nuclear bomb Holland set in Detroit on the way out.

Detroit is in a far better spot than New Jersey ever was. Detroit has picked in the top 10 the last 3 years and have had 4 3rd round picks in 2017, 7 picks in the top 93 in 2018, and 3 2nd round picks in 2019. They're awful, and they have a lot of bad contracts, but those will all go away eventually, and the seeds for a better team are there. They were simply not there when Shero took over.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I like how Severson has been playing. Is this the real Damon? I hope so.

Also, f*** Hynes. Guy had no business keeping his job for f***ing years, it's offensive. So f*** Ray too on that front.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
the composure this team has without hynes/hall is very impressive. once hischier comes back they will be a solid opponent night in/night out. now they just need to fix the 2nd goalie sitch.

hughes is still not thinking the game at the nhl level. his hockey skills are otherworldly though. once it clicks hes going to be a PPG player easily.

Yep, we need to be patient and give Hughes some time. I have no doubt he will be a 70+ point center at the bare minimum.

At least from what I saw tonight the first two periods, Hughes was giving as much effort as anyone out there. Age and size are his problems right now.

Reactions: Dialamo

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I've ripped on Wood a lot, but fair is fair and his past 4 games or so he actually looks like he gets it and knows what he's doing on the ice. He had the one rush to the net tonight where he avoided Bernier. Earlier this season, he's in the box for running into the goaltender.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
At least from what I saw tonight the first two periods, Hughes was giving as much effort as anyone out there. Age and size are his problems right now.

He also makes extremely dumb decisions with the puck. For as good a playmaker as he’s supposed to be that worries me a bit

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I like how Severson has been playing. Is this the real Damon? I hope so.

Also, **** Hynes. Guy had no business keeping his job for ****ing years, it's offensive. So **** Ray too on that front.

Damon has been playing this way for months now, people here just ignored his improvement and kept trashing him. I see no reason he can't continue this way, he's playing like a top pair defender and arguably like a #1.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Forgot Abdelkader even existed and just now noticed he has 3 points in 42 games. I remember when he was getting picked for Team USA at the World Cup of hockey in 2016 over Phil Kessel. Palmieri eventually made that team as a replacement for somebody that couldn’t make it to play, but Abdelkader was even picked before him. He was always a criminally overrated player, but not the worst in the league.

3 years left on his stupid contract.

criminally overrated

fabian brunnnnstumm

jimmhy vesey :scared:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
He also makes extremely dumb decisions with the puck. For as good a playmaker as he’s supposed to be that worries me a bit
I've been patient with Jack but he looks atrocious out there. He has no idea what he's doing, he's basically just a loose cannon. Is he getting any kind of quality coaching and guidance from this staff?

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Damon has been playing this way for months now, people here just ignored his improvement and kept trashing him. I see not reason he can't continue this way, he's playing like a top pair defender and arguably like a #1.
The people who don’t like him are mostly the people who are a little too aroused over Mirco Mueller (and Santini when he was still here) and who want Andy Greene re-signed and Joel Edmundson in FA because they “Play defense”.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Forgot Abdelkader even existed and just now noticed he has 3 points in 42 games. I remember when he was getting picked for Team USA at the World Cup of hockey in 2016 over Phil Kessel. Palmieri eventually made that team as a replacement for somebody that couldn’t make it to play, but Abdelkader was even picked before him. He was always a criminally overrated player, but not the worst in the league.

3 years left on his stupid contract.

This is the perfect Bleedred post:

"I forgot all about [player], I just checked his stats and [he's doing bad]. I remember when [player received some recognition, prestige award, or got some hype], but he has always sucked. :laugh::DD

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Before Hynes was fired, Severson was averaging 21:29 per game, with 30 shots and 5 points in 26 games.

Since, his ice time has jumped to 23:36 a game, and he has 62 shots to go with 18 points in 30 games.

Severson was always a whipping boy of Hynes'. Between this and how good he's looked at the Worlds, might be we'll see this side of Damon more consistently going forward.

He plays better when there is absolutely no pressure on him. The fact he’s putting up points now when the team is totally cooked vs the start of the year isn’t surprising to me. Doesn’t change my opinion that any team relying on him to be one of their top 3 D is going nowhere fast.

Reactions: JMadden11

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Damon has been playing this way for months now, people here just ignored his improvement and kept trashing him. I see not reason he can't continue this way, he's playing like a top pair defender and arguably like a #1.
Um no. He was routinely making stupid ass decisions and playing highly irresponsible/risky in the d-zone and literally giving away goals to the opposing team. Which he was kind of doing for the last few years already. So it wasn't just a slump or whatever.

These last few weeks he's playing much more responsibly. Showing ability to properly manage the puck, on top of making quality offensive plays.

Why would people just "ignore" apparently good performance and then suddenly start recognizing it now? That commentary makes no sense...we didn't get together and conspire to start liking his play now.

I have no problem changing my mind about something when the evidence warrants it. I qualify all this with a healthy skepticism that this is still a small sample size compared to what we've witnessed from Damon over the course of several years. I hope this is the real Damon and it's here to stay, but who knows?

Reactions: I Hate Tie DOMI

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Heh, yeah, right, those dumbasses

(goes back to edit some old posts)
I thought Mueller showed some promise at times his first two years, but he’s really cratered now. He could be a decent #6 on some teams, but you need a deeper defense than we have for that.

I’m ready to move on. I think he’ll get a one year deal somewhere and take it, then he might be bound for Europe for the rest of his career the year after that.

Reactions: Blackjack

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The points are nice but point streaks like this are mostly luck. Severson has been just plain good lately, playing a huge role. He’s leaned on more than anyone on the team at even strength. He’s ideally not on your top pair, but he’s passable and very clearly shouldn’t be traded considering his age and contract.

If he consistently played like this he’d be a fine first pairing dman. Consistency is the issue.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I've ripped on Wood a lot, but fair is fair and his past 4 games or so he actually looks like he gets it and knows what he's doing on the ice. He had the one rush to the net tonight where he avoided Bernier. Earlier this season, he's in the box for running into the goaltender.
That Zacha Wood combo is magic for whatever reason.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He plays better when there is absolutely no pressure on him. The fact he’s putting up points now when the team is totally cooked vs the start of the year isn’t surprising to me. Doesn’t change my opinion that any team relying on him to be one of their top 3 D is going nowhere fast.

I wouldn't put that rap on Severson as much as I'd put it on Zacha.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Louie tomorrow, which is fine. No reason to kill Blackwood

Confirmed? I wonder if starting Blackwood today and Sunday are intentional because they are home games. Selfishly, I would have preferred him starting Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday because Dominique is a pile of trash.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Confirmed? I wonder if starting Blackwood today and Sunday are intentional because they are home games. Selfishly, I would have preferred him starting Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday because Dominique is a pile of trash.

Nas was asked in the post game and he said Domingue starts tomorrow vs Carolina. Didn't even hesitate when saying so.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We have points in seven of our last eight. This team is a mess, but results wise it has gotten better.

A good coach, a backup, and some band-aids could get this team on the bubble, but to get past that and be a proper contender is still going to take an overhaul of the D.

Right now Severson is the only piece potentially worth being apart of the long term plans on the NHL roster. The other 6 or so won’t or should not be on the team the next two years, never mind beyond that.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The people who don’t like him are mostly the people who are a little too aroused over Mirco Mueller (and Santini when he was still here) and who want Andy Greene re-signed and Joel Edmundson in FA because they “Play defense”.
Sorry bub. Completely disagree. We can't have an entire team of sub 5'11 guys who "should QB the powerplay" but can't knock a guy off the puck or play the boards. Not every defenseman has to score 50 points a season.

That being said, I agree Greene isn't the answer although I wouldn't be against him playing another year STRICTLY on the 3rd line paired with Ty Smith on his right. When we're talking about shut-down defensemen, we're not talking about another Danekyo. We're talking someone with size and good skating, regardless of his scoring ability.

Reactions: I Hate Tie DOMI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad