Tribute "Once Upon A Time in Anaheim" - A Duckumentary; June 11th

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
i mean, disney still sold the angels like 6 months after they won the world series. so i don't see why they wouldn't have still done the same with the ducks

disney wanted out of pro sports by that time

Eisner said the fans want a winning team no matter how much it costs (I think that's kind of condescending and not giving the fans credit for understanding throwing money at free agents won't necessarily make for a winning team), but the stockholders want a profit. My cousin was pretty high up at Disney and once, when I was complaining to her how Disney refused to spend the money on the Ducks, she told me each Disney division had to stand on its own and if it wasn't profitable, Disney wouldn't put more $$$$ into it. Maybe so, but Disney sure capitalized on the tie in to the Mighty Ducks movies and bled the hell out of merchandizing; once that dried up, they didn't spend any money on the team. This is why Disney and corporations should never own sports teams.

The Samuelis on the other hand, probably would like the Ducks to be profitable, but because they own the operating rights to the Honda Center, they need to have the arena operating as many days/nights each year as possible. It's easier to do this with a professional team as a tenant.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Finally watched this. Meh. The biggest problem with it is the same problem MSM has with their 2 minute debates. Not long enough to have any real substance. In the age of Netflix, The Last Dance and various other streaming options, to have a watered down docu-blip like this, just seems like they were trying to kill air time more than anything else.

If they would have done at least a 3 part series, they could have covered more ground and gone into a little more detail. Some pretty big players were barely mentioned.

With the negative out of the way, it was fun to remember my childhood a bit. Going from the Theatres one year to the Pond the next was crazy. Seeing the Jiggy highlights just reaffirms for me that 35 belongs in the rafters.

Overall, fun but shallow. Maybe people who arent Ducks fans got more out of it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Finally watched this. Meh. The biggest problem with it is the same problem MSM has with their 2 minute debates. Not long enough to have any real substance. In the age of Netflix, The Last Dance and various other streaming options, to have a watered down docu-blip like this, just seems like they were trying to kill air time more than anything else.

If they would have done at least a 3 part series, they could have covered more ground and gone into a little more detail. Some pretty big players were barely mentioned.

With the negative out of the way, it was fun to remember my childhood a bit. Going from the Theatres one year to the Pond the next was crazy. Seeing the Jiggy highlights just reaffirms for me that 35 belongs in the rafters.

Overall, fun but shallow. Maybe people who arent Ducks fans got more out of it.
yeah, the goal was clearly just to show how the underdog "disney team" went from a movie to a laughingstock NHL team to nearly winning the SCF

cool if you're not a ducks fan or a new fan, but for us longtime fans it's stuff we've already known for years

Reactions: Rybread86

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
it's a shame he didn't enter the league after the 04 lockout when speed became a priority and the talentless goons were slowly done away with. no doubt he would've been a perennial hart candidate
Was Kariya concussed by a 4th line goon? Stevens was a top pairing D, Suter was 1st or 2nd pairing D.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I enjoyed it but it also felt like they really rushed through the story too quickly. I guess if they had to compress it into an hour then that was about as in-depth as they could have possibly gotten.
Yeah I thought that too, around 40 minutes minus the commercials. They definitely rushed through a lot of it. I wish they showed the first playoff game in 97 (the first NHL game I ever attended). I thought they’d show the 07 cup win for a minute or two at the end, but that was just briefly mentioned by the host.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
After watching, my question is how in the world does the city of Anaheim move forward with a publicly funded project like the pond a 17,000 seat venue (that at the time was a quarter billion dollar project) with out having a major tenant to occupy the building first??
I had forgotten about this too. I’d like to hear the whole story on that. Kansas City also built an arena in 2005 and still doesn’t have an NHL or NBA team.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I finally watched it today. So much Eisner. From what I recall, his involvement after the first season was limited. For example, he showed up for the team photo the first year, but they photoshopped him into the photo the next couple seasons.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
After watching, my question is how in the world does the city of Anaheim move forward with a publicly funded project like the pond a 17,000 seat venue (that at the time was a quarter billion dollar project) with out having a major tenant to occupy the building first??

From what I’ve learned over the years, I think the plan was to always have a hockey team there.

I don’t remember what I watched (documentary?, Newspaper clipping?) that Anaheim was supposed to be the destination of the North Stars before they moved to Dallas. When that fell through, Disney went all in on a franchise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad